Im looking at getting an old les paul junior (humbuckers and set neck) instead of a studio but what difference does the curved top make to them?
Obviously the top, one's curved and one's flat
Well for the flattops, you can install a kahler trem, but for the archtop, it's a different matter.
Also they both feel a bit different to play
and the archtops are slightly more expensive.
The carved top is a cosmetic thing, it doesn't have a big impact on tone. And all Les Paul's have humbuckers and set necks.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
The carved top is a cosmetic thing, it doesn't have a big impact on tone.

That couldn't be more wrong.

Les Pauls with carved tops usually have a maple top ontop of the mahogany body, which is what gets carved. This maple top adds clarity, 'bite' and brightness to the mahogany body. Flattop LP Juniors are just mahogany, and don't have a maple top.

Anyways, carved top guitars are thicker & heavier than flattops and feel different to play.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by Invictious
Well for the flattops, you can install a kahler trem, but for the archtop, it's a different matter.

you can install a kahler on a carved top as well
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by AlGeeEater
That couldn't be more wrong.

Les Pauls with carved tops usually have a maple top ontop of the mahogany body, which is what gets carved. This maple top adds clarity, 'bite' and brightness to the mahogany body. Flattop LP Juniors are just mahogany, and don't have a maple top.

Anyways, carved top guitars are thicker & heavier than flattops and feel different to play.

Chris

There is a difference in tone but I really don't think it's huge. The guitar's pickups and the amp it's played through has a much larger impact on the sound.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
There is a difference in tone but I really don't think it's huge. The guitar's pickups and the amp it's played through has a much larger impact on the sound.

I never said there wasnt a difference in tone, my post was refferring to WHY there was a difference in tone.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I know there is a Kahler trem specially designed for Archtops, but I left it untold so he will actually do some searching himself instead of us spoonfeeding him information