Page 1 of 2
So I do alot of pinch harmonics and im looking for a new guitar and amp. Today I went to my local guitar shop and tested about 20 guitars and tested everything from cheap RG ibanez guitars to Dean Razorbacks on a Line 6 Spider Amp and the pinch harmonics were so crappy... I don't understand because at home I use a crappy guitar of a brand called "Cruise" and a Crate 15 watt amp and it has the best harmonics ive heard. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get? I have about 1,500$ to spend on a guitar and amp.
you might just be used to your crappy guitar, and not have time to perfect it on the other guitars
I read somewhere that EMG pickups, high gain distortion, and a compression pedal.
go on to blacklabelsociety.com and look in the gear section.

buy all that. Or anything that has zakk wylde's name on it.
yeah it's different for every different part of your rig. keep uh, trying and test out more. and if you still don't like it, stay with your setup...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I would love to stay with my setup, but ima start gigging soon. I tried some EMG's today and the tone was great, but they sucked with the harmonics. I tried to do harmonics on every little space at the bridge and nothing... Im going to look into the Zakk Wylde Stuff. Thanks.
Marshalls tend to have a better response to those sort of things.

Also it has a lot to do with your settings. Having the volume and tone pots of your guitar all the way up. Same with the gain, volume and treble/mids on the amp. Sustainer type pedals also increase this, hence i would recomend zakks overdrive pedal which adds gain and sustaine. I have one, its really good. Generally, the more output from your signal to the amp helps as well.
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at Feb 4, 2007,
I cant afford all of Zack Wylde's gear, his JCM full stack is like 4k. I dont want to sound exactly like Zack Wylde either, I have my own style of playing.

So you are saying I should gain/mid/treble all the way up?
Im trying not to sacrifice any tone.
i was only recomending some of his pedals.

And its not so much having them up as increasing power to the amp. When you roll off on that stuff, less power is going from the equalizer stage to the power amp section. The more going in, the better the amp picks up those harmonic frequencies and makes them louder.

if say you have settings at treb- 7 mids-6 bass - 6, then increase them by 2 to treb-9, mids 8, bass 8. The amp should sound the same.
every guitar has harmonics in different spots. Just becuase your guitar has a harmonic in one spot doens't mean anotehr guitar will. You need to find the 'sweet spot' on the guitar before you can make good harmonics. Otherwise lots of mid range, compression, gain and so on make harmonics more apparent
Yeah, I was trying alot of these spots on the guitars in the shop and there was either no harmonics or they were very weak. I guess it was the setting on the Line 6 Spider Amp.
Don't pinch harmonics make a more present sound when played through a brighter sounding amp?

If that's the case, try shooting for a JSX. Versatile as hell I hear, pretty bright sounding, not sure how much they cost though. I'm sure the combo isn't going to be more than 1-1.2K. Then you'll have enough left over for a guitar.. perhaps an Agile AL-3100? I think those are about 400 bucks. Nice as hell too.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Those JSX amps are like 1.5k for a combo and 2k for a half stack, its nice, but yet expensive. I ve tried the Agile-3100 and it looked nice, but I didnt like the tone. I think ima go with the ZW guitar with EMG's. Still looking for a amp in my budget though....
Dude, the Zakk Wylde Overdrive won't help you with pinch harmonics unless you have a tube amp. It's totally useless on a solid-state amp.
Just so you know.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
having the technique down is a good starting point- i can do em fine on any setup.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
any guitar with an L500xl in the bridge, and an engl of some sort.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Its all from the fingers, not $10,000 dollar guitar/amp.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Its all from the fingers, not $10,000 dollar guitar/amp.

Nonsense, the moving string needs converting into electrical signals (pickup) and amplifying, at the very least.
Are you saying that neither of these are capable of enhancing or inhibiting the harmonic?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
yeah, im saying its all from ur fingers, you dont even need a guitar or amp at all......
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
you can pinch harmonics on an acoustic so the gear isn't really the issue, just technique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes you can pinch on an acoustic but you need to amplify it so people can hear it.
Some gear can pickup, amplify, enhance that screaming pitch more than others.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Sure you can pull off harmonics on any guitar, but its going to sound weak as hell if you don't have proper equipment and "madpickin", first of all you need a guitar for harmonics and then you need to amplify them using a amplifer otherwise your not going to hear them very much or at all....

This morning I went to GuitarCenter and tried the overdrive, its ok and Pleiadian is correct. Its waaaaaaay better on a All Tube Amp. So im planning on getting a tube now, for guitars.... I still cant get my hands on a Zakk Wylde guitar, they are all sold out so I have to wait to try it out.
I dont care about acoustic guitars right now. Im going to be using all electric and need more information on people's set ups who are familiar with pinch harmonics. Right now im just interested mostly on guitars that are easily capable to do them.
Well, this is the 1st, ppl usually recommend guitars/amps based on type of music...not how easy to pinch a note on it......

There are tons of factors affecting how good the "pinch-tone" would be (pedals, FX, amps, EQs, wood, etcetc) but there is only one factor that makes the success rate and that is YOUR technique. It highly depends on you yourself, and some more puny factors would be string gauge/action.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I dont know if this is going to really help, but I play power metal and death/kinda grind.(im currently doing 2 projects right now) since I gig with different people every weekend. The guy that was working at the store couldn't even pull off harmonics on some of the guitars I was playing and he is a part time instructor at the college here he said it has to do with the amp,effects, and guitar.

Madpickin im curious on your set-up since you sound like you can pull them off with no problem,
Most likely old strings on the display guitars, that's the biggest barrier to decent pinches. Yes you need an amp to make them squeal, but it's your basic technique that decides if they're going to be able to squeal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im going to go back and start working on pinch harmonics for now. The old strings is probably one of the factors, since I change the strings on my guitar every 3 weeks or so.
its just pratice, ive had no problems doing pinches. ive had several regulars asking what the hell im doing to get all these weird ass pinches. from zakk wylde to ZZ top. (they are pinch \/\/hores too, you know)

and im using a Washburn X50, (or 40 pro) with my JSX, no pedals, just amp and guitar.

and i can get some gnarly pinches out of acoustics, and i can hear them fine.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
High output pickups make a big difference.

Mattias Eklundh does some of the most insane harmonic stuff I've heard and he doesn't use any pedals at all...
High gain pickups, high gain tube amp, and a decent compressor pedal should give you some kickass harmonics.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by ac/dc_freak91
High gain pickups, high gain tube amp, and a decent compressor pedal should give you some kickass harmonics.

you don't even need the compressor pedal.

technique first, then high gain tube amp + pickups with good harmonics. but mainly technique. I could get pinches fine on a spider.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Pleiadian
Dude, the Zakk Wylde Overdrive won't help you with pinch harmonics unless you have a tube amp. It's totally useless on a solid-state amp.
Just so you know.

not true!
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^its just plain crap anyway, sooooooooo many more ODs kick that pedals ass without blinking
... you're mean. haaa that's okay, i like my 'shitty' od
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Pleiadian
Just so you know.

no its not. hah
but there are better ods.
and better options.

laney tt50, lc50
boss ds-1
digitech bad monkey

ide say that Ph can chnage alot depending on your pic.
from there. its basicaly just the techneque. the loud volume/dist. etc just makes those Ph's scream in other ways. you should be able to do the ph easily w/o heavy dist. first

so it may be your pic. or your just to use to that guitar.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Last edited by TinTin8 at Feb 5, 2007,
What are Some good tube amps besides the JSX/JCM? Also what pickups are good, maybe active emgs?
Page 1 of 2