iS IT POSSIBLE???...all i am after is smooth dive bombs....but i was looking at eddie van halens red frankenstein and there are no indications of routing on the body......atleast from the picture i was supplied with.....anyways guys let me know cause I am lookin to do this to my mexicasa strat soon.....and if i do need to rout it out is there a website with how to instructions?
find a pic of Prince's strat with the floyd rose. (he used it at the super bowl halftime tonight)
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Prince is teh Pwn. ch0oB

you will need to rout out a little on both the front and the back.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I saw a website (i don't remember where) where they put a FR on a strat without any routing. You only need to route the front if you want it to float. But if all you want to do is divebombs and such you can have it flush mounted like a normal strat tremolo. But you will need to drill large holes in the body for the anchors for the tremelo. Also you will need to route the neck to creat the locking nut shelf and you will need to install string tree behind the nut.
kahler?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by lechero
I saw a website (i don't remember where) where they put a FR on a strat without any routing. You only need to route the front if you want it to float. But if all you want to do is divebombs and such you can have it flush mounted like a normal strat tremolo. But you will need to drill large holes in the body for the anchors for the tremelo. Also you will need to route the neck to creat the locking nut shelf and you will need to install string tree behind the nut.

You mean this one?:

http://www.guitars101.com/vb/guitar-rack/14258-how-installing-floyd-rose.html
I've just installed one, no routing, easy job, just drill two holes for the posts, then lube the hole up and use a mallet to bash them into the body then you're good to go.
Just make sure the floyd you use is one that fits straight in. I think the origanals fit straight in but others dont.
I know this reply is only 9 years late but it i correct.

I have Never routed a Strat and have had at least 8 floyds on them.
The Key to this is gaining hegh on the bridge obviously. How is this done?
you use a shim under the guitar neck. usuallta fender heavy tucked up gainst the guitar in the neck pocket does the trick. this forced the neck back and createda need for a higher bridge.

There are many arguments on how to do this. obviously the pick isnt the best method. Ideally you want to keep as much contact between the neck and body as possible. a small wood shim sy 2 mm should do the trick as well. I hve never had problemsusing a pick.
Good luck