Well I started playing a couple months ago. I bought a couple books and read over them but I didnt really understand the theory and didnt really take the time to understand it all. I think I can play reasonably well for how long I have been playing so I was wondering if learning the theory is an completely necessary to learn it.
you probably only need enough theory for harmonics and a few scales (including pentatonic), and that's it, unless you want to learn something else in your spare time.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
you may not need theory now bra but in the future its gonna catch up with you...theory will open up so many doors...so id suggest learning it.

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
Quote by soadquake981
you probably only need enough theory for harmonics and a few scales (including pentatonic), and that's it, unless you want to learn something else in your spare time.

...your user title is oh so correct.

Learning theory is neccesary for writing songs, because it helps you to know what notes sound good together, so you can just churn out riffs rather than spend hours plunking around before you come up with anything.
Ah, I see. Would any of you happen to know any good places on the internet that explain theory?