hey guys.

so, my band recently got a new bass player, who's new to bass, but has been playing guitar for quite some time. since none of us have much experience with bass, we have no idea how to properly EQ it :S

we use a "peavey basic" 70 watt amp.

i know that its simple enough to just play with it until you find something that sounds good. but, in our experience, playing solo requires a different tone than playing with a full band. like were not sure if we should use a twangy, type sound or a really bassy heavy sound.

we play pop/punk type stuff

if someone would suggest me some settings or something that would be super

thanks much
A good modern sound is to do a nice ol' mid-scoop: Turn the bass and treble high, and turn down the mids. Fiddle around with how much you boost and cut until you get the sound you want.

As you get more advance and work with multiband EQ's, you'll find out exactly WHERE you cut and boost (i.e. what frequency) will really change the sound of your bass.

EQing is how many people develop their own signature sound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
please dont scoop, it makes your bass sound like garbage
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Okay, do what Anyone does: EXPERIMENT. The sound you want is exactly that. the sound YOU want. We cant tell you what sounds good to you, but we can give you a few tips on achieving that:

This applies if its a 3 band EQ (aka: Bass Mid Treble knobs)

Put all at halfway or 5/10 (ill just say 1,2,3 etc out of 10 from now on)

Play around, hear the tone.

Now Put bass at 10, mids 5, trebs 5, repeat above

Bass 10, mids 10, trebs 5, repeat

10 10 10, repeat

5 10 10, repeat

5 5 10, repeat

etc. After a while you'll hear one or two that sound better to you, and youll start going 7.5s, and before you know it , you have your tone!
Quote by Ampeg SVT

I think it sounds fantastic, especially when played with a pick through a neck pickup.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
eh, i need mids to get growl and you cant cut through without those mids unless you have a lot of power. and i dont need a un-characterized scooped tone that soundmen hate and make basses sound like turd
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Ampeg SVT

"musicman freak" and you Don't scoop? You're missing out on the good tones of you're bass

It's not about ALWAYS scooping, but Sometimes it can get you the tone you need fo sho!
i have scooped it but i dont slap much *GASP*. it sounds hollow and dead. it needs midrange and it sounds killer slapped with midrange. when i use a pick use midrange and bass and treble and fiddle with my parametric EQ to get a super punchy bass sound. I like a punchy sound. not a hollow dead sounding $1000 bass
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Yeah i know what you mean. i dont scoop to 0 ever, even when slapping i keep it to 2-5, depending on particular slap tone.

Its just that first post you made, it was kinda an opinion expressed without details or anything to back it up, but from you're next few posts i can see where you're at with you're case, and i understand you're side now
I cut -3dB at about 480Hz while boosting at 2.2kHz, 80Hz and 8kHz and it doesn't sound hollow at all, and punches like a 19-year old Mike Tyson.

I cut the mids to avoid my bass tone sounding like you are humming with your nose plugged.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
yeah i know why some people may like the scooping thing but i think it sounds horrible, you the midrange so you cant cut through. oh well
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Hmm... with my boost at 2.2kHz, I cut through just fine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I have a smaller version of that amp, and for me it sounds best with the bass turned up above the rest, with mid somewhere close to the middle of bass & treble. I know that sounds noobish, but try it.
Nope, no sig here.
The thing is, if you experiment at home on your own, scopping the mids sounds good, but as you have other bands members your bass just doesnt cut through the mix. Personally, i've started to find a tone i like. I leave my amp completely flat, and i turn the bass all the way up on my bass, then treble about half way, mids about half way, then i solo the neck pickup and play on the bridge pickup. i find it gives me a great tone. but that is the tone I LIKE, you may hate it..
For poppy stuff I usually do the Eric Avery thing where he slants his EQ down hill, with tons of bass down to almost no treble. Then I take the highest frequency and turn it all the way up. To put the icing on the cake, play with a lighter-gauge pick (like yellow .73 Dunlop Tortex) and (for Fenders) turn the volume knobs all the way up and the tone to about half. On my Jazz Bass I prefer the neck pickup up all the way, the bridge pickup at half, and the tone either at half or completely off.

If you have a four-band graphic EQ w/ knobs then set it like:

Lows: 8
Low Mids: 5
High Mids: 4
Highs: anywhere between 1 and 5

EDIT: I didn't see that Applehead already stated this, but here it is again paraphrased.

The thing is, you want some midrange. If you're playing by yourself in your room, a mid-scooped tone may sound powerful and beefy, but when you get into a band situation, it'll just get in the way. If you want it to cut through, and sit well with the kick drum, then keep the bass and push up some mids. Adjust the highs based on the amount of distortion you use, pick/fingers, etc. But don't add so much that you are fighting with the guitars in the mix.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez