I will be playing metal on this one.. I don't need good cleans I have a different amp for that. I want a tube and I want to be able to have a different variety of sounds from death metal, to power metal, thrash, and so on. But yah.. I'll have around $800 at the beginning of summer and would like a tube amp.. I guess a combo since I won't be able to afford any tube half stacks anyways.

Thanks.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by elementskater7s
fender hod rod

for death metal and thrash?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
BTW I don't mind buying off Ebay as long as its for 800 with the shipping added in.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

800? look on ebay for a used 5150 combo or head. that amp speaks for itself..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by elementskater7s
fender hod rod

How bout not.

Quote by Vanquish
I want a tube and I want to be able to have a different variety of sounds from death metal, to power metal, thrash, and so on.

Well, considering it all sounds the same - check for a Peavey 5150 combo.

Or a used Peavey XXX head + cab...
I got a Peavey XXX 112 combo for $399 + $50 shipping from eBay. I havnt gotten it yet so I cant tell you how good it is for the tones you want....but Ive read its awesome.
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
Quote by elementskater7s
fender hod rod

Fender hot rods kick ass...but not for metal. I have one, its very nice, I get some good heavier tones out of it but not metal tones thank god. Plus it would be a waste if he wasn't gonna use the clean channel. Maybe a Peavey or something.
Peavey XXX or 5150, the XXX's will top out at about 800. 5150's about 500

both great amps for your needs.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
The best metal guitar tone i have ever gotten was out of an aria less paul copy into a peavey xxx. I got everything from Mtallica to Mastodon covered with just a little tweakage.
If you don't need cleans I'd say go with a 5150; insane gain and brutal distortion, but the cleans suck, so no worries for you.
B-52 AT-212. 100 watts all-tube. Triple Rectifier. It's my own personal choice for that price range.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
i played that not too long ago, and i dont think it has enough gain for his situation. . .

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^ the B-52? It has plenty of gain.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
i dont think so.

i had problems with my friends, he brought it over, i put it next to my JSX, and it was lacking. . .

sorry.

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by tubadude
i dont think so.

i had problems with my friends, he brought it over, i put it next to my JSX, and it was lacking. . .

sorry.

Well of course it doesn't compete with a JSX. The JSX is over twice the price new.

Sorry. He's looking for an $800 amp.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
i got my JSX for around 900. . .

my point is, it dont have enough gain. cubes have enough gain, and those are less than 800 dollars.

price dont justify how much gain an amp has.

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by tubadude
i got my JSX for around 900. . .

my point is, it dont have enough gain. cubes have enough gain, and those are less than 800 dollars.

price dont justify how much gain an amp has.

I have the amp, and I know what gain is. I've played many amps with tons of gain (like the 6505). This has enough gain for those needs. Simple as that. Would you like some sound clips?
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
sure. but next to my JSX, it was lacking in balls. something that having more gain could have fixed

and your clips better be dry, no MT-2 or your multi effect processor

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by tubadude at Feb 5, 2007,
Well it certainly won't have the balls of such a fine amp as yours, but it will surely hold it's own in all of the genres he plays. I'll try to record some later. I'll PM you the link.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
To Tubadude: Ive played ATs that have more gain than I would ever need, and Ive played some that would barely get a classic rock sound. I dont know why, but Im thinking maybe it had something to do with the tubes, because everything else was the same about the gear I was using. Maybe your friend has one that has something wrong with it, I dont know...

To Threadstarter: Try out a used Peavey 5150 or XXX, or you could get a Peavey XXX 40 watt for $850 on Musicians friend if you want to wait and spend a little more. Marshall JCMs are also good if you throw an overdrive pedal in front of it.
^maybe, it was new, probably 2 weeks old, he finally got to crank it at my house, i put it through its paces, i heard alot of people talk about it, so i decided to play with it for a few hours, tried different EQ's, reverb, different rectification modes, and it just wasnt heavy enough. it had more goodies than my JSX, like a reverb, which i really need. i like the amp, its a great budget tube amp, but based on the one i played i dont think it has enough gain for the TS's situation.

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by tubadude
sure. but next to my JSX, it was lacking in balls. something that having more gain could have fixed

and your clips better be dry, no MT-2 or your multi effect processor

Couldn't get to it tonight with schoolwork, but I will hold to my word and try to find time tomorrow. By the way, do you think I would actually use that MT-2 or RP for distortion? That's almost hurtful.

A used Peavey would be a good choice as well. It's all up to your tastes of course.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo