ok.. i have no problem with my fret hand. like doing fast scale positionings and stuff. except when i have to use my 1,3,4 fingers. IE:

e---------
b---------
g---------
d---------
a-3-5-6-
e---------

i know i can use 1,2,3 fingers but my scale book recommends that i learn it by using the 1,3,4 fingers. obviously the 1 finger on the 3rd fret, 3 finger on the 5th, and the 4 finger on the 6th fret. anyways, i have problem with this positioning. i can play it cleanly slowly but when i start to go even a little faster, its like my 3rd finger won't respond. is it because my finger is weak?? anyone have this kinda of problem? any help will be great
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
yeah your fingers just probably weak. just keep practicing and itll get stronger over time.
YEP, plus you haven't built up the motor skills in your pinky like you have the rest of your finger. it just takes practice. you'll get it.
I doubt its because its weak, because i have the same problem to a point on harder scales. It only happens when i try to go really fast. Its more because you just arent used to doing it that way probably. Keep practicing it slowly and slowly building up speed every couple of days
other fingering such as:

e-3-5-7 or e-2-3-5-

i can do perfectly fine.

i think the 1,3,4 finger posititioning is the only one i'm havin trouble with. so i dont think its strength either. or maybe it is.
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
yeah well when your using the 1 3 4 position your using different muscles, so youd need to build them up.
You know, Clapton never uses his pinky except for chords and other anomalies..
Blues Power
Use your pinky on on power chords, that may seem REALLY odd but i was having the same problem, but since i've started that it's helped a lot

Just something that worked for me, not sure if it'll work for you =P
i use my pinky on power chords.. don't knwo where u got that i don't
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster