Now, before you all start flipping out and saying that I am a "bad man" I not questioning the fact marshall single channel amps are versitile. I realize that they must be viewing how many people recommend them and how many artists that I love use them. Bare in mind thaT I have never tried either of these viewing that I live in asia and there are zero music stores selling marshall in my city.

the amps I'm talking about are basiclly the JTM45 and the JCM800 and I'm talking classic/morern rock

this is a 3 part question:

-What kind of gear would you want to get to be able to do gigs with it. I mean, you're going to want to keep the amp clean right? then your gonna want some od sometimes, so you're gonna get an od pedal, and then a heavier distoriton pedal for heavier rock?? possibly Tubescreamer or guv'nor or a boss turbo distortion etc...? What pedals go well with it anyways, if you want classic and modern rock?

-Next, does Marshall not make an equivalent amp sound quality wise that has multiple channels, I mean, the new JVM410 looks pretty amazing and that way you wouldn't need a bunch of od/dist pedals on your pedal board which is already occupied by other effects....

-Finally what do you think a better set up is: a JCM800 (or JTM45) with a bunch of cash for a couple of OD/Dist/Equalizer/boster or an amp like the JVM410 none with no extra Od/dist/equalizer/booster pedals seeing as they are included in the amp?

thanks guys
I have a single channel amp and I set my amp up be the rhythm sound I'm looking for, then simply roll back the guitar volume to get cleans. You really can get from a very heavy sound to a clean this way-it's a very underused technique, and now that I'm used to doing it, I see no need for extra channels.

Then i would suggest a good quality OD or clean boost (personally, I think a tubescreamer is perfect, but it's really up to you what sound you want), that you can kick in to give you a lead boost.

I'm don't have any experience of the new Marshalls, but I can tell you that a JCM800 or JTM45 would be perfect for the genres you've listed. Bear in mind though that both of those amps really must be cranked above bedroom levels to get that awesome sound they have.

Oh and finally, If you're not 100% set on Marshall, maybe consider a Laney GH series...
Nolly:
yeah I often roll back my volume as you described, but for fast switching I often end up turining it too low when i'm going from a chrous to a verse and want ot go back to cleans. EMG makes a cool thing you you can install on your guitar which i'm thinking of putting on mine called an Afterburner which is a push pull booster basiclly but they also make some other gain, equalizer stuff that you can ad directly to your guitar which I think are all pretty cool. I like it cause you don't have worry to bring your booster with you to practice cause it's on your guitar. Check them out http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Accessories&categoryid=32
Yeah I know about the afterburner system. It works pretty well, and would definitely be worth looking into.
As far as using the volume know goes, the more you do it, the better you get at judging it. As EMGs are such hot pickups, you may find it harder to get pure clean sounds from them, but it shouldn't be impossible.
Yeah but you don't have to install the afterburner on a guitar equipped with emgs as far as I know, if I bought it it would be goinf on my Strat
Oh right sorry I assumed you had EMGs on your guitar. Single-coils will have no problem cleaning up. Is your current amp a tube amp? SS amps aren't as responsive to the guitar volume tweaks, so if you have one, you may get a pleasant surprise when you try doing it on a tube amp.
Yeah I only have a SS fender amp, really small, pratice amp. Thats why I was asking about the marshalls as I am finally looking to get a tube amp. Thats cool i didn't actually know that they responded different to volume variation. It makes me want the tube amp more
Last edited by costa at Feb 5, 2007,
They're both amazing amps, different, but great.

And use the volume knob for versitility.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Yeah but the question remains is there a multi-channel marshall that can do it better than a JTM45 or JCM800 and an overdrive pedal??? I've always wondered in my years of listening to John Frusicante why he doesn't which amps, it could just be because he likes it but why not finally switch to a JVM 410, he's got the money as do a lot of other artist who will still choose the marshall amp with one+a couple of od/distortion pedals instead of one amp many channels. It baffles me. Mabye i'm just thinking about it to much.
Quote by costa
^ Yeah but the question remains is there a multi-channel marshall that can do it better than a JTM45 or JCM800 and an overdrive pedal??? I've always wondered in my years of listening to John Frusicante why he doesn't which amps, it could just be because he likes it but why not finally switch to a JVM 410, he's got the money as do a lot of other artist who will still choose the marshall amp with one+a couple of od/distortion pedals instead of one amp many channels. It baffles me. Mabye i'm just thinking about it to much.

You know they make 2 channel JCM800's right?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by costa

Even though they're all single-channel Marshalls, it doesn't mean they sound the same. The JVM may be more refined and technologically advanced, but that may be the opposite of what you're looking for.
Besides, we all get attached to gear we know and love, and I'm sure John Frusciante is the same. If he's used his gear long enough to know how to get the sounds he wants, then is there any point in changing?
Quote by costa
^ +1

I'm pretty sure that's in the wrong context, seeing as he was responding to your post.

Anyway. To add on to that, you shouldn't think of the JCM 800 and the JTM 45 as the same amp. They've got WAY different tones, and different controls, too. You should really make an informed decision as to which one, which would include playing both or listening to them.
Quote by costa

Not really, I doubt a multi-channel amp could completely nail the sounds from both them (different) amps.

John doesn't switch amps because he doesn't need to. He uses fuzz for his OD sounds etc, and I doubt he'd like a JVM just because it's got 4 channels... People don't need that and are happy with 1 channel and what sounds they've got.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30