ok heres my situation,

I have a randall warhead and an mxr 6 band eq. I use this setup to play pantera stuff. but, i also play other stuff, like metallica, trivium, killswitch engage, megadeth, slayer, in flames, etc and that kinda stuff doesnt sound as good through my 'dime' setup. so I was wondering if someone could recommend me some pedals which I could use to get those kinda band tones? I dont want to touch my dime setup, so I want a seperate setup of pedals for the other stuff I play.

thanks for any help/advice
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Um, that's going to be pretty tricky... Just as the SS sound was integral to Dime's sound, the only way you're truly going to nail the other bands' sounds is to get a high gain tube amp. I know this totally isn't what you want to hear. Why don't you just put tip-ex markings on your gear to mark the "Dime" settings, then fiddle around to get the other sounds?
Quote by meharvan
^+1
Also, for the other pedal u have to buy the AMT electronics California Sound. Availlable on musiciansfriend.
Sound Samples at www.amtelectronics.com

Or a Snarling Dogs Very Tone.

Or some sort of other preamp.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Do you really think he needs more gain? I simply don't have enough experience of SS amps to know how these pedals will sound with them to be honest though.
And if he fiddles with his EQ pedal he should be able to get plenty of other sounds.
well the reason I have enough gain is because of the eq pedal, ive boosted the sliders and it adds tonnes of gain, getting me close to dimes tone. so yeah I could fiddle with the eq pedal, but i wouldnt have enough gain if I did
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Last edited by serbusfish at Feb 5, 2007,
would a decent distortion pedal run through dirty channel do the trick, maybe a metal muff or metal zone?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
would a decent distortion pedal run through dirty channel do the trick, maybe a metal muff or metal zone?

Don't put decent and metal zone in the same sentence...it's not polite!

In all honesty, you're best bet now is to stop worrying about copying other people's tones (particularly Dimebag, I know you love him and all that but his tone sucked!). You aren't Dime, or his mini me, you're serbusfish...whatever that means . You don't use a different tone for each song when gigging, unless you've got a huge rack behind you and quite often somebody to operate it too. All you need is 3 or 4 generic sounds - clean, crunchy, rhythm and lead - any modifications to those sounds you may need you can get from your other effects or your guitars volume and tone controls, or even by altering how you play.

You don't need to reproduce the exact same sound to play a song anymore than you need to play it exactly the same way. Also, try to shake of the GAS (Gear Accquisition Syndrome) and learn to properly use the stuff you have, I know you've only just got the Randall - there's a hell of a lot to learn just there. You're biggest problem is your Dime fixation, he used a trebly, scooped sound that isn't particularly useful outside of playing his stuff - most bands use a hefty chunk of midrange because that's the bulk of the guitar's sound, if you take them out - like you do with your inverted V EQ'ing, you've basically killed 80% of your tone. Really, what you need to do is finds a compromise between your "Dime" sound and the sound that's actually going to be useful - Pantera material won't sound bad because you don't use the same tone as Dime...to be honest it may actually sound better!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the amp does handle stuff like that pretty good, it just hasnt got quite enough gain, thats why i suggested a distortion pedal to boost what gain it has already
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
the amp does handle stuff like that pretty good, it just hasnt got quite enough gain, thats why i suggested a distortion pedal to boost what gain it has already

Distortion pedals don't so much boost the distortion on SS amps as interfere with it - sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't....what it will do is make it damn noisy. I still think you need to address the EQ'ing on the amp - I know you like the Dime sound but cutting the midrange like that will absolutely cripple your tone, i think the amp may have the gain you're looking for, but the way it's set is the limiting factor.

Also, what do you actually have the amp set to - I know you scoop the EQ but the other settings?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

amps graphic eq set in v shape
then: level: 10, gain: 8, mid level: 2, mid freq: 6, treble: 7, bass: 2
mxr eq has bass sliders are 0, mid sliders pushed to top, and treble sliders almost at top
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by steven seagull
You aren't Dime, or his mini me, you're serbusfish...whatever that means . You don't use a different tone for each song when gigging, unless you've got a huge rack behind you and quite often somebody to operate it too. All you need is 3 or 4 generic sounds - clean, crunchy, rhythm and lead - any modifications to those sounds you may need you can get from your other effects or your guitars volume and tone controls, or even by altering how you play.

You don't need to reproduce the exact same sound to play a song anymore than you need to play it exactly the same way. Also, try to shake of the GAS (Gear Accquisition Syndrome) and learn to properly use the stuff you have, I know you've only just got the Randall - there's a hell of a lot to learn just there. Really, what you need to do is finds a compromise between your "Dime" sound and the sound that's actually going to be useful - Pantera material won't sound bad because you don't use the same tone as Dime...to be honest it may actually sound better!

I couldn't agree more. Dimebag's tone was very very unique to him, and copying it exactly can only draw unfavourable comparisons. And to be honest, what's cooler: having you own unique sound or just sounding like a rip-off of a guitarist who, like-it-or-not, was probably better than you or me ever will be at what he did...

This is of course coming from the person who plays a Paul Gilbert sig guitar and the amp he uses.. Oh the hypocrisy...
amps graphic eq set in v shape
then: level: 10, gain: 8, mid level: 2, mid freq: 6, treble: 7, bass: 2
mxr eq has bass sliders are 0, mid sliders pushed to top, and treble sliders almost at top

so you've got pretty much no midrange in your amp settings, then a poor MXR EQ that's got the thankless and impossible task of trying to put some of it back!

If you're desperate to keep your dime tone the best bet is to be far less drastic with the amps EQ - flatten the graphic, bump up the mid-level and turn the gain down a touch. Then, use the MXR to scoop rather than as a boost - all it's doing now is compensating for your EQ settings, it's not really doing much boosting at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I totally agree with seagull on this, people need to stop trying to copy tones from other players. Thats why we have so many Metallica and Pantera rip-offs nowadays. Go for a different tonality entirely, just mess with every knob your amp and pedals have. If you really want to save your tone, write it down and then turn everything to zero. From there move everything around to different places and find YOUR sound.