Which amp would you recommend for a fairly experienced guitarist playing metal ranging from lamb of god to children of bodom?
Roland Cube 30. I have the Vox and its great but not for metal, you would need a distortion pedal.
Quote by Gbell3587
Roland Cube 30. I have the Vox and its great but not for metal, you would need a distortion pedal.

That's funny, I have that Vox amp and I play metal all the time, and I am in a metal band. I have a somewhat cheap Ibanez guitar and it still sounds pretty metal, I wouldn't listen to this guy.
Ibanez SA160 electric

Old Ventura Classical
Quote by ClyWbr41
That's funny, I have that Vox amp and I play metal all the time, and I am in a metal band. I have a somewhat cheap Ibanez guitar and it still sounds pretty metal, I wouldn't listen to this guy.

Gbell is correct, the Cube is better for Metal. It gets extra crunch compared to the Vox.

A/B'd the Vox has better bluesy/classic rock sounds, while the Cube has better clean/heavily distorted sounds. Now, both do sound good at all aspects. They just each have their strengths.

Toss the Line 6 out the window is the general consensus here.
Recently went through this in buying a practice amp....

No to the Line 6....it's the worst of the 3.

The cube is a good amp, but I prefer the Vox. I play hard rock, and a bit of metal when I practice, and I just overall prefered the tones I was getting from the Vox. Go and try them to see for yourself.
In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend any of them for what i'd class as an experienced guitarist - not as their main amp at least. The Line 6 is way behind the other two though - the Vox and Cube are both good at what they do but they're still pretty much practice amps to me, albeit loud ones!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Line 6 is a good practice amp depending on the style of music you play.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
I've owned the cube 30 and the spider II (not III). Both decent for modern metal but the roland cube was easily the better amp. If you plan to play at really low volumes don't get the cube because on the metal settings it is always just that little too loud, in my opinion, for bedroom use that won't annoy the rest of the house.

The spider 3 clips sounds crap on their site and the spider 2 isn't an amp i would recommend.

Can't comment on the vox.

The best solid state amp for metal i have owned is the peavey bandit 112II but there is a new model of it now that you might wanna try out. It might be a bit big for what you are after though!

Seriously though for practice, even bedroom practice, the peavey bandit is one of if not the best solid state amp for metal. Beats all marshalls i have tried, laneys, line 6 and roland. Make sure you get one of the newer models though is my adivce if you were to get a bandit.
As far as too loud for metal in your bedroom, the new Rolands have 'Power Squeezer', which drops your amp down to 2w. The cube 30X is perfectly suitable for bedroom metal.

The vox also has something similar, except you can go from 1w to 30w.
I have a Vox AD15VT and generally Vox's are known for their exceptional cleans and classic rock tones since back then that was the major brand of choice. Never tried it for metal, but maybe with a good setup of distortion pedals, it could work. But, you have better chances of nailing a metal tone with the Cube.

Oh, and you're on UG. Ask 9 out of 10 people and they'll say Line 6's suck.
Same goes for MG's.
Ben
I'll agree that Line 6 sucks. I just picked up a 15 watt Spider II. It sounded generic for the first week. Now it doesn't sound at all because the power switch failed.
The Cube models a Mesa Rectifier. Some awesome metal tone right there.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
I just don't get why you guys call death/black/thrash metal tone "metal tone" as if those types of metal are THE metals... Metal ranges from those to the likes of Ted Nudget, Jimmy Page, to the likes of Neo Classical Shread such as Yngwie Malmsteen, and Steve Vai... Metal is a very varied musical subgenre of Rock. I don't really like hyper-lableing everything, but all 3 of those amps can do "metal tone"... now which of the metals is the difference right there.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!