Page 3 of 4
It was my pleasure, I wouldn't mind being a music teacher eventually. I'll probably right a lesson, one has been expected of me for quite some time now so keep your eyes open, it looks like I'll be writing Scales Part 2.
Can someone tab the harmonic minor for me? Thank you to those who helped me earlier as well.
Quote by Angels Fighter
we once had night of just slapping each others ass. Is that incest?

call me evan.

bass militia's pretentious dick. pm dinkydaisy.

the trap i set for you seems to've caught my leg instead.

<meh> I'm pro black penis in my bum
C Harmonic Minor

------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------9--10---------------
----------------8--10--11--------------------
--8--10--11-----------------------------------

Its a moveable pattern just like the other scales, i just decided to do this one in C.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
1 - b3 - 4 - b5 - 5 - b7 is correct. I went over this on page three of this thread, if anyone wants more info..

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519196&page=3

And you changed your avator Jazz Rock. I think I liked your other one better .
applehead, your awesome mate. this explained a lot to a guy who hates theory. im in a bit of a rut, so this helps me big time. And your funny too
This really helped me.I have never been all that keen on learning theory but I want to become a better musician so I decided to take the time to learn.

And you were right.It seems so confusing at first but once you catch on it seems to all fall in place.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Thanks a load for this,
I knew hardly any theory before this, Now i think ive got the basis for scales sorted, thanks =]
Useful thread, kinda weird because I'm too used to the chart thingy.

I bet Applehead can grow one day fros'.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
This is really great, it is so far the easiest way explaining the theory, it is like crystal clear for a music noob like me.
I've been playin bass for a couple years, guitar for almost 9, and singing for a couple as well, and of all the times I've ever tried to learn theory behind scales, this made it the most crystal clear and precisely concise. Hats off to the author - you should write a book. It would save a lot of frustration.
so i can move the same pattern for major and minor scales around to different notes but what notes can i not play with the root note
Last edited by demonofdeath at Apr 9, 2007,
i was asking what keys i cant play major and minor scales in
Last edited by demonofdeath at Apr 9, 2007,
Well in the key of E major you can play an E major scale E F# G# A B C# D# E. Or the relative minor C# minor C# D# E F# G# A B C#. See the same notes. Does that answer your question? In any given key you can play that scale or the relative major/minor.
so modes are just forms of scales does that mean you can move the pattern around to any other key?
thank you so much ive been wanting to understand theory for awhile and ive already learned a lot in a month
You can use any scale in any song, it just depends on what sound you want. It's like choosing to play a major 7th instead of just a major for a more articulate sound.

If you're playing in the key of E just you can play any scale that starts with E, whether it be E major, minor phrygian, any. E phrygian is like an angry verion of the minor scale which I think is cool.
Quote by musiclover2399
You can use any scale in any song, it just depends on what sound you want. It's like choosing to play a major 7th instead of just a major for a more articulate sound.

If you're playing in the key of E just you can play any scale that starts with E, whether it be E major, minor phrygian, any. E phrygian is like an angry verion of the minor scale which I think is cool.

your statement confuses me because E phrygian is in the key of C. the phrygian of E is G#, A, B, C#, D#, E, F#, G#
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Last edited by crazypeanutman at Apr 13, 2007,
Thanks for the modes part! Theory is so great, I find I can appreciate music so much more.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Last edited by Metalology at Apr 14, 2007,
Quote by crazypeanutman
your statement confuses me because E phrygian is in the key of C. the phrygian of E is G#, A, B, C#, D#, E, F#, G#

The notes of E phrygian are in the key of C major so that means it'll sound like C Ionian, not E phrygian.

If you want the Phrygian sound in the key of C you make the scale starting with the root, C. So you come up with C phrygian. Sure only 3 notes will technically be in the key of C but those other's contrasting with the key is what gives the unique sound of said mode.

Like play your open E and let it ring. While still ringing play other notes in the key on other strings, should sound happy. Then play your open E and play all naturals, should give you the phrygian sound.
Question; ive been workin out the major scale, and ive figured it out as(using C as Base) A is 2 frets lower than C, B is a Fret Lower, D is 1 higher, E is 2 higher, and etc

am i right?
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
ok, ive been back at workin the major scale, after relizing there shouldnt be any B# or Cb in it and im getting really confused at this area of the table on the first page(im usin C to work out the other scales in the same format)

A     B     C    D    E    F    G
 b6      |  Minor Sixth            |  Gb    G#    Ab   Bb    C    Db   Eb
  6      |  Major Sixth            |              A
 #6      |  Augmented Sixth        |             A#
bb7      |  Diminished Seventh     |              A
 b7      |  Minor Seventh          |              Bb
  7      |  Major Seventh          |               B
  8      |  Unison (Octave higher) |               C

Can someone help me fill in the rest of the remaining lines please? i know Line 8 will read A B C D E F G but i didnt want to go though lining it all up, took long enough to do that ^ lol, yea, can someone help please?
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

I have a quesion, I wrote this bass line before I began learning about theory, and I can't find it's scale!

The Bass line goes like this:

Key  Amin        EMaj
G----5-4-2-0-----1----------
D------------2-0---2-0------
A----------------------3-2-0
E---------------------------

I now know that the part I play during the Amin chord is a Amin scale, but what the hell am I playing during the Emaj scale?
^ G# added to A natural minor scale = A harmonic minor.

What people seem to forget about harmonic & melodic minor is that it includes the raised notes (in this case, G#) was well as the natural notes (in this case G).

The reason for this would be so that the Am chord can sound like a full minor chord (Am7) while the V chord can still be major. If you didn't change it, I'm betting the bass line would sound a lot worse if you played a G# instead of a G in that spot over the Am chord.

All a matter of theory.

but, to answer your question,
its not just adding a random note to the scale.
It's A harmonic minor.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
any help there for my question?
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Is that what you wanted?

Quote by UtBDan
^ G# added to A natural minor scale = A harmonic minor.

What people seem to forget about harmonic & melodic minor is that it includes the raised notes (in this case, G#) was well as the natural notes (in this case G).

The reason for this would be so that the Am chord can sound like a full minor chord (Am7) while the V chord can still be major. If you didn't change it, I'm betting the bass line would sound a lot worse if you played a G# instead of a G in that spot over the Am chord.

All a matter of theory.

but, to answer your question,
its not just adding a random note to the scale.
It's A harmonic minor.

So I played an A Harmonic Minor over an E Maj? Hm, I thought that in that case the root would change? Meh.
Is there a formula for harmonic scales? Or is a harmonic scale just an altered scale?
Where can I find about em BESIDES Wikipedia? (like going to more than one place)
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Apr 17, 2007,
i have that =table, but ive tryign to work out A B D E F G scales in the same format, but i need those bottom few lines, because i get confused
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Fast bear, you were playing in the key of A minor but borrowing a chord from one of the other minors. I do it all the time, it helps differentiate major and minor keys.

Also ashdoro what do you mean by those bottom lines? You're trying to learn the notes on the fretboard right?
ive made myself a fret board map, but im tryin to learn the notes in each scale which is relevent to that table, ive worked the entire thing out but i keep gettin confused with those 5 lines, as i was workin from the C Major scale it got A A# A which is where i get confused for the others

im tryin to write it out with all those scales next to each other
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Quote by crazypeanutman

in relation to this point, how do you figure out the phygrian of a key then? is it the 4th sharpened / 5th flatened? thanks
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quote by somewhat_here

i wish i was fat so i can buy xxl clothes during liquidation