1. what sort of passive pickup do you reccomend that i can put in a les paul to give me under distortion a powerful sound that is good for thrash and similar style of metal, yet also clean up fairly nicely? i was tihnking about a seymour duncan of some sort

and 2. what seymour duncans do the Mastodon guitarists use if you by chance know?
you could go for an HSS combination, or coil tap a humbucker in the neck for the cleans. IMO nothing beats a single coil clean.
The key to good cleans is an alnico magnet, the key to face melting distortion is ceramic or neo magnets. I'd suggest you get a good moderatly hot pickup with an alnico magnet in the neck. Then get a super hot pickup with a ceramic magnet in the bridge. Use your neck for cleans and distortion and use the bridge for distortion and face melting distortion.
Not taking any online orders.
awesome-
will the duncan distortion be better for what i want than the dimebucker i currently have brutally attached to it?
I don't know if any of the big shots do it, but there are a lot of smaller companies that are using them. It's not good for everything, but it's great for people that want to play funk, metal, or country.
Not taking any online orders.
in ym X50, i have a custom custom and a 59, they sound great (mahagony guitar) will do thrash no problem.

in my X40 (alder) i have a duncan distortion and a 59, and that one screams more metal, but a bit less clean than my other guitar.

im not sure how well the distortion sound in mahagony, but both combos are great, and should do what you want
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
haha you should see what a mess it made of the screw holes =\

so okay the duncan distortion is the best for what i want?
and the jazz as the accompniment?
sounds tasty =D
if you want a brighter clean, go with a 59, otherwise, a jazz is fine
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!