Hey everybody!

I'm interested in buying a new amp, and my budget is around $400.

I play metal - everything from 80's metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest) to heavier stuff (Metallica, various Melodic death metal) kind of music, which means i need distortion, -lots of it.

Are the tube amps in that pricerange any good?

The amps i've looked into are the Peavey Valveking, Peavey Classic 30(Both of these Peavey amps seem to lack a little distortion-wise), Marshall JCM 900 50w combo.

EDIT: The JCM 900 combo and the Classic 30 USED i can afford.

I could probably stretch my budget a little, but probably no more than $70.

I've also looked into the Ashdown Fallen Angel - seems to be quite a good amp, but it's not available in Sweden.

So please, let me hear your suggestions? New or used doesn't matter.

(Sorry if my spelling is incorrect, English is not my native language.)
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Last edited by Trailen at Feb 5, 2007,
You wont find any decent tube amp in that price range. I'd go with a Randall.. A G2 or G3 series head.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
the Ashdown is supposedly craptacular

but i love my valveking, but yeah the distortion is a bit weedy, but i run a metal muff into it which creates godly loudnesss =]
Bollocks. The Ashdown Fallen Angel is a very good amp, and excellent for the price.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Is the JCM 900 50 watt combo a bad amp?
My gear:
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
No, theyre great :]

I didn't see that you could afford it.. I think that's your best bet.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Ok, thanks mate!

Is the "original" dist on the amp enough for metal, or do i also need an OD pedal, and in that case which one is my best bet?
My gear:
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
Most amps in that price range that are tube aren't too great. Here are some clips of the Ashdown Fallen Angel though, and they aren't too bad. I would suggest saving up for a little longer and trying to get a B52 AT112 new, or maybe trying to find a used Peavey 5150 on eBay.
Most of those bands you mentioned have used Marshalls at some stage if not exclusively so I'd say the JCM900. You might need an OD for the death metal stuff but it should be fine for the bands you mentioned without one.
Thanks treagar, you rule!

Also, is it safe to get a tube amp shipped?

Asking because i live in northern Sweden, and 99% of all used music stuff is in the south, around Stockholm, so i would need to get it shipped here...
My gear:
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X