Page 1 of 2
I know the 5150 VERY well but I've never really played the JSX in anger. Anyone had experience of both? Im torn which one to get. Ive had 5150's for years and heard people play JSX's live and love the sound of both

I dont want any surgestions saying get an Engl, Mesa or anythin coz im gettin it as part of an endorsment deal so its gotta be Peavey.
what kind of music? 5150 is great, unless you need cleans. JSX is good all-around, though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
if you just play metal, 5150. JSX is a kick-ass amp, though. the glowing tubes are awesome.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Thought about the JSX coz of the versatility, I do love the sound of the 5150 and for the band its great, Ive used em for ages but im startin to play different styles as the band progress and cleans and crunch are beginnin to become a little more important so im torn
well, the JSX doesn't do straight metal quite as well, but if you stick an OD or a booster in front, it'll go spasmodic, like you want.

great cleans, great crunch, the JSX is a great amp.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
the JSX is a much better amp. more $$$ but the gain is so much smoother and full bodied.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
i have a JSX, it isnt heavy enough for a 7 string, but i havnt put an OD in front of it.

but it will do anything i ask of it, cleans to metal. however, if you dont need cleans, a 5150 may be a better way to go.

but if you are endorsed by peavey, why not try the JSX, and return it if you dont like it. seeing you already have a 5150, i hear the tone isnt much different than a 6505
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Last edited by tubadude at Feb 5, 2007,
Quote by Gabel
Do you own a 5150? Why get a 6505+?

Sold the 5150 MK1. It sounded awesome but I need a little more flexibility, I think the 6505+ would be a better way to go coz it has the seperate eq-ing for the two channels and it has the sound I love. The JSX crept in to my mind when a Satch song came onto my Ipod !
Well id reccomend the 6505+ since you seem to really like the sound of the 5150.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
the JSX will not really do satch by itself, ive had problems getting it. but with a wah, and a chorus, you can get it.

with the amp dry, (no effects) on my neck pup, i can get a petrucci and trans siberian ochestra sound no problem at all. then i can get very heavy with it. with scooped mids, and alot of resonance, i can get a very great st anger album sound. (drop Ab FTW)

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Yeah the JSX is versatile as hell. And whoever said the JSX cant do straight metal is VERY wrong, it doesnt have that bone crushing mega high gain metal tone like the 6505 or 5150, but it has an amazing tone when it comes to the high gain stuff. As tubadude said, its a lot smoother sounding than the 6505. If you want cleans and versatility though, the JSX is the way to go. But if that isnt much of an issue, and you like the sound of the 5150/6505 then by all means get the 6505.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
youre whats called a lucky bastard in lamens terms, id be greatful of any of those!
doest satch run a ds-1 or a ts through his amp?

I can get an alright hardcore and metal sound out of my JSX. Crunch does wonderful for 80's stuff and ultra does great for some Dream Theater type gain . it can sound very rectoesque if you EQ right. If you use a guitar with EMG's through it it will get metal territory no doubt even on the crunch channel. my ltd-400 shines through it when it comes to metal
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Dont bother with the 6505+. Save a few buck and just get the 6505. Im not a huge JSX fan....I personally never played one. I only heard it, so my opinion isnt experienced. I actually saw a band the other night and they both used 6505.... they sounded great and heavy as hell. Of course you could just skip out on asking us and go try a few different things to see what YOU like best....rather than what we like best.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Quote by mexican_shred
doest satch run a ds-1 or a ts through his amp?

I can get an alright hardcore and metal sound out of my JSX. Crunch does wonderful for 80's stuff and ultra does great for some Dream Theater type gain . it can sound very rectoesque if you EQ right. If you use a guitar with EMG's through it it will get metal territory no doubt even on the crunch channel. my ltd-400 shines through it when it comes to metal

yea, he does his crunch channel with a modded ds-1. ive tried it, (stock ds-1) and it isnt that close. he has something else going on in his tone.

Quote by steven seagull
Definitely go with the JSX you will not be dissapointed. I've played on the 6505+ plenty of times, and although it is a very nice amp for metal, I dont think it can be placed int he same category as the JSX.
The JSX can do everything really well, sparkly and warm cleans, nails an 80's metal tone on the crunch channel (JCM 800 style) and has a very fluid lead tone on the ultra channel, as well as the chunkiest scooped mid rhythms.

If you actually have the choice between the two, I think you should go with the JSX, as everyday Im finding more reasons to love it.
Excellent amp, thats my two cents.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by tubadude
yea, he does his crunch channel with a modded ds-1. ive tried it, (stock ds-1) and it isnt that close. he has something else going on in his tone.

duh, his pedalboard is bigger than he is!

and there's a huge difference between stock and analogmanned.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
im sure there is quite a difference, but it was worth a try

Quote by steven seagull
his awsome hands and custom guitar might help also.
Quote by Crimson_Eve
Of course you could just skip out on asking us and go try a few different things to see what YOU like best....rather than what we like best.

I cant at the minute coz Peavey are out of both amps and there wont be any in the country until the middle of March, then Im gonna go try em. Even then, you cant really tell what there really like until you've used em in a gig type situation. Just wanted people's thoughts on each amp coz theres a lot of people on here whos opinion I value. Interesting to hear everyones views though,

Anyone had any problems with either amp? I know someone who had a JSX and it went back to Peavey 4 times then he just got rid
no problems here.
I owned at 6505 originally . great amp no problems. Returned it to try something new and got JSX. Great amp also.No problems returning it. both came in great condition. now i just want both ....*sigh*. That or a mesa MArk IV
i bought my JSX used, it was about 3 months old, guy played it twice, anyways, a few months after i had it, the footswitch kept flipping out on me, after some investigation, the pedal had broken solders where the LED's are soldered in. after i fixed that, had no problems.

but overall, it has been a very sturdy amp, no problems what so ever

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by davedoom
youre whats called a lucky bastard in lamens terms, id be greatful of any of those!

Luck is different from hard work that paid off for the guy Im sure.

Id check out the 6505+. Get a bias pot installed and run the tubes a bit warmer (what I did). Sounds awesome. Not a fan of the JSX for some reason. But it is versatile.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
I cant at the minute coz Peavey are out of both amps and there wont be any in the country until the middle of March, then Im gonna go try em. Even then, you cant really tell what there really like until you've used em in a gig type situation. Just wanted people's thoughts on each amp coz theres a lot of people on here whos opinion I value. Interesting to hear everyones views though,

Anyone had any problems with either amp? I know someone who had a JSX and it went back to Peavey 4 times then he just got rid

every QC misses a couple. but in general peavey's a great company. i've owned 3 of their amps and a guitar of theirs, and they're all great.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I own a JSX and know 3 other people gigging with JSX's and none of us has ever had any problems with this amp. Very well made, excellent value.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by tubab0y
every QC misses a couple. but in general peavey's a great company. i've owned 3 of their amps and a guitar of theirs, and they're all great.

Me too, Ive owned several 5150's and never had a problem at all but on this forum I know peavey get a bit of a rough time, especially about the valveking range. I think its unjustified
Quote by kurdtkobaign

Id check out the 6505+. Get a bias pot installed and run the tubes a bit warmer (what I did). Sounds awesome. Not a fan of the JSX for some reason. But it is versatile.

How does the bias mod change the sound?
Supposedly makes the sound fuller and warmer. I read it also makes the cleans an awful lot better, although i'm sceptical. I like my 5150 the way it is TBH.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
How does the bias mod change the sound?

For me it took away some of the fizz/fuzz at high gain. Tightened up the low end, and made the upper mids a little smoother. It also made the cleans sparkle a bit more. The difference isnt massive, but noticeable. Kind of like...Idk...a compressor pedal. You dont really hear a huge difference, but it makes your tone a bit better. lol
Quote by kurdtkobaign

wow, way to bring down a light comment ya fool

he even said it himself, work regardless
Another plug for the JSX. My brother owns a 6505+ and I like the uber-heavy distortion, but it does not sound anywhere close to the JSX when it comes to cleans.

I played a JSX tonight with all of the following guitars and it sounded great with all of them.
Schecter Blackjack (Mahogany with JB & '59)
Ibanez JS-1000 (basswood Dimarzio PAF Pro & Fred)
Ibanez RGT42 (Basswood with EMG 81 & 60)
Ibanez Prestige mahogany with V7 and V8

My favorite tones were from the Schecter and the JS-1000. This amp rocks! I have been trying to decide which amp to buy for a while and I keep comming back to the JSX, I think I will end with one soon!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by Crimson_Eve
Dont bother with the 6505+. Save a few buck and just get the 6505.

ITS AN ENDORSEMENT DEAL CAN YOU NOT READ?!?!?!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Ive decided to go for the 6505+. Ive tried the JSX and although it's a nice amp, It just does'nt quite cut it for all out brutality like the 5150/6505 does. The JSX is a much more versatile amp but im not willing to sacrifice (what's imo) the best metal sound i've ever heard in the 6505 for better cleans/crunches in th JSX.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
I cant at the minute coz Peavey are out of both amps and there wont be any in the country until the middle of March

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by jonnyguitarman
Ive decided to go for the 6505+. Ive tried the JSX and although it's a nice amp, It just does'nt quite cut it for all out brutality like the 5150/6505 does. The JSX is a much more versatile amp but im not willing to sacrifice (what's imo) the best metal sound i've ever heard in the 6505 for better cleans/crunches in th JSX.

I agree i was never a fan of The JSX though I love My 5150. Much more brutal distortion

Though as my mind and my band heads in a more classic metal direction im thinking of Getting a JCm 800 or a JMP 100. Ill let you guys know how that goes
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Page 1 of 2