Last Friday i went over one of my friends house to jam with him, and word got around my school that I am pretty decent at bass. So today a close friend of mine asked me if I would like to play bass for his Christian church, but i would have to convert to Christianity. I have no religion(although i was baptized) so that was fine with me. On Friday i am going to meet everyone in the band and play their bass and amp. So I am wondering what kind of stuff should i know to write bass lines for them? Do they play straight 8th notes, some walking stuff, or something else?

I am not looking for theory. I learned theory, just simply what basses in church bands play.
if you want some ideas, look up the band 'hillsong united'
and ps...you can`t get 'converted' to christianity...
it`s actually against the religion to force their beliefs.
i went to a christian church for ever and they never hassled me about not being religious.
good luck =]
Did they make you stand at a crossroads when you promised to convert for playing in the band? (just kidding)

Ok, it depends on the type of church music they play. Liturgical music runs the gamut these days--traditional, folk and I even played guitar in a jazz service a few times.

And yes, I would look very closely at this deal--most churches out there aren't operating under such requirements. (unless you are talking Church of Later Day Saints, which won't allow you in the inner temple unless you are Mormon.)
He is only saying to become christian so I understand the meaning behind the lyrics. They need a guitarist and he would be in the same place as me, there Church accepts anyone although the majority are Brazilians. That band "Hillsong United" isn't too bad.
^Is it a gospel based church? If so, there is a ton of material out there--just google "Brazilian and gospel music".
church bands often focus on worship, and helping the people there to worship. it may seem awkward that you arent a christian yet helping lead them to worship god (no offence intended). thats all i can say on it here, because i think its something you need to discuss with the band, and something you should think through personally. worship bands dont have particular musical theory aspects to their music, the main aspect is simply 'worship God through music'. like i said, talk to the rest of the band and think about all this.
i need to get a better signature.
At the one I played for a while ago, they had sheet music with the lead written on it, and chords above it, and I was to play the root note of the chords... with minimal improvisation. Just know your note names and chords and such, you'll be fine.
you dont have to convert........you can lie then you'd be destined for hell though

EDIT: But if anything sent you to hell in their eyes it would be converting for the soe purpose of being in a band
I am our church's bassist (I wouldn't trade it for the world). I'm assuming you all play more contemporary worship music. Hopefully your worship leader is somewhat lenient and liberal in viewing the role of the bass. I write my own basslines for songs. Almost all worship songs are just words with chords written above them. Use the root, fifths, and octaves, and you should be fine for now. As you get a feel for what style your band plays and what they expect from you, you can cut back or add to the complexity as needed. Worship music is actually more fun than you'd think (plus you get a gig every Sunday ).
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
church bands often focus on worship, and helping the people there to worship. it may seem awkward that you arent a christian yet helping lead them to worship god (no offence intended). thats all i can say on it here, because i think its something you need to discuss with the band, and something you should think through personally. worship bands dont have particular musical theory aspects to their music, the main aspect is simply 'worship God through music'. like i said, talk to the rest of the band and think about all this.

I agree with this.
And of course, it's not about the religion ( or the conversion thingy). It's about praising and worshiping God. If you want to be good at playing bass, always pray to God for the guidance. And have faith in Him. Believe in Him, and He will give you the things you need.

God bless!
Fretburning for the one God who keeps my heart ablaze ♪♫♫
(Jeremiah 20:9)
Dude... you just Lazarus'd this thread!!!

Kidding aside, i think it's a VERY interesting topic of; 'non-religious musicians playing in a religious environment'. I'm not religious, by any means... but i LOVE gospel music. Shoot, gospel is one of the main reasons i bought an active 5 string

Now, my step-dad is the head pastor of a fairly large Methodist church. Every now and then, i'll fill in for thier bassist if he can't make it. I have a good time, and everyone is usually positive. No one's given me flack, but i'm not a disrespectful jerk about being there. But, i'm sure being the step-son of the Pastor gives me some lee-way.

Still though, it's a strange and interesting dichotomy.

Has anyone else of a non-religious belief (or alternate religious belief) ever played in a sittuation where they are performing religious songs for worship?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Look up hillsong united, hillsong live, Chris tomlin, David crowder band, Jesus culture, and tenth avenue north

Those are some well known Christian bands. I just came back from a hillsong united concert like an hour ago and it was amazing
Quote by PandamoniumXT
Look up hillsong united, hillsong live, Chris tomlin, David crowder band, Jesus culture, and tenth avenue north

Those are some well known Christian bands. I just came back from a hillsong united concert like an hour ago and it was amazing

I'll just want to add these:

Sonicflood, Delirious ,Switchfoot, Selah, and the songs of Jeremy Camp.
Fretburning for the one God who keeps my heart ablaze ♪♫♫
(Jeremiah 20:9)