Poll: Which action do you have/prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which action do you have/prefer?
Very high
5 3%
Pretty high
14 10%
Somewhere in between
34 23%
Pretty low
63 43%
Very low
30 21%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 2
Hey, i was just curious as to which action is most commonly preferred by the UG community!

Also, if you'd like to discuss the finer points of action, like whats the different ups and downs between different settings.

I know something like action level is really relative since people will have somewhat different opinions of whats high and whats really high and such, but i guess we'll have to live with that
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
On my guitar, i have the action really low. I have small fingers so, if the action is to high my finger slips underneath them..haha
I have medium action I guess you could say. I like the low strings with low action, but G, B and high E are pretty high, so I can bend easier.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I have mine quite low but not as low as some people i know, I have it low so that Legato is easier but quite high so i can play the chords without the open ones causing fret buzz.
Ibanez S520
Yamaha Pacifica 112 with JB.Jr Neck pickup
Ibanez Custom Blazer
Peavey Bandit 112, Marshall Valvestate 20
Marshall Jackhammer, Zoom 505 effects, Boss ME-50
Boss Pw 10 V Wah
Dunlop 1.5mm Picks, D'addario standard Strings
about medium, i prefer the low E, A and D to be a bit higher and the other 3 to be a bit lower however, but not too much to the extreme

EDITED to try and make more sense
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Last edited by fire within at Feb 5, 2007,
Quote by fire within
about medium, i prefer the low E, A and D to be hi and the other 3 to be quite low

That makes no sense.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
My electric is pretty low, and my acoustic is pretty high. I voted pretty low, seeing as how my electric is my main.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Too low. I'd better change that actually...

I like mine SRV style, but The tools that usualy set mine up put it way to low. Gotta fix it.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I like it high - started out on an accoustic.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Mine is pretty low. But it isn't so low to cause fret buzz. I really need to sort my crappy acoustics action - it is very high for an acoustic.
Quote by Bazilisck311
I like it high - started out on an accoustic.

Even on a JEM7V? That thing feels great with the super low action, though
High for an acoustic? You really need to fix that.

I have my action as low as possible without having the buzz problem, easier to play that way.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Can anyone mention the advantages and disadvantage of all kinds of action?
THX
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Medium - High.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
my epi LP is really low, to the extent shredding sound all bleedy, but my strat is low, but not too low (if you know what i mean), each are perfect for their own styles.

to breakstuff : i know that low action is preffered for most shredders because it is quiker and requires less effort to play notes quickly, but if it is too low notes will "fret out" when you bend, this is when a note dies suddenly.
im not sure bout the benifites of higher action, maybe some people like it that way, or maybeit has an effect on the tone idk.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Last edited by permanentmarker at Feb 5, 2007,
medium high- I like to be able to dig in when I want to without getting lots of fret buzz.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Mine's quite low. But anywhere between there and medium is great. My mates SG is terribly high which makes it a nightmare to solo on, so that's definitely not what I'm after >.<
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
kind of high, something like 3-4mm of height from the 12th fret.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
my les paul copy is pretty low,

but my strat is fairly high, higher that most, just because on the strat playin blues i love having something to dig into
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

My action is rather high I suppose. I don't play electric much anymore, but too low action makes it a bit harder to play I think.
I have it almost perferct for chording and soloing. I get no fret buzz, 1/16 of an inch, about a pennry off the frets. Thats just me though, god dont take the time to do it though. The intonation takes like 2 hours with it like that.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
I had an extremely high action of around 2cm once when I had .015s.
Now i use .011s and heavy bottom, the are somewhere in between.
I am a real man.
Medium

Nothing pisses me off more then fretting out on a bend, make sure you can bend up a full step all over the neck if you lower your action, thats a good way to test.
High. Better bends, and way better tone.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
As low as it will go (which reminds me i must raise it a little, getting buzz past the 15th fret on the A and E strings after putting a heavier gague on >.<. Personally, i find a low action much better and faster to play lead with. I do like a medium/high action for my acoustic though, mainly for practice; once I go back to my electric after an hour or so on the acoustic it's so much easier to play.
Wouldn't it be much better to have actual values in mm or inch for this poll? Because what one person might think of as 'low' might be 'medium' to someone else, or even high.

I have the action on my Dean set to about 2.5mm at the bass side and about 1.5 mm at the treble side (when I measure at 12th fret). I don't have any buzz except when I play the low E string really hard at the 15th fret. Since I pick rather hard on the lower strings I'm not going to lower my action anymore because then I get a slight buzz. At the treble strings the action is at a very nice hight for soloing and such so I'm quite happy with the way my guitar is set up at the moment. I have 0.010 strings btw.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
very low on my fender strat and line6 variax (hmm perhaps a bit too low on the variax), low on most other guitars so i can play slide guitar, i like the action nice and high on acoustic guitars.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Pretty Low (2 mm at the 12th fret)
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Could anyone help me with my problem here? I much prefer having the action low on my Epiphone Les Paul JR, but when I put it low enough so it is comfortable, I get really bad fret buzz until the 3rd fret on all strings, and when I have it high enough to stop the buzz, when I play almost any note from the 12th fret onwards, it comes out 1 semitone higher that when I play the open string. Can anyone solve this?
I'd like to have my action lower, but I get bad fret buzz if I do, so i have it somewhere in between.
METALLICA.
Is this measured in distance between the string and fret or distand between the string and fretboard?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I have a really high action because I hate the sound of buzzing strings. But my action is not nearly that high that it goes out of tune when I play.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Way to high, going to drop by a guitar tech to let them fix it up...
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Page 1 of 2