Hey pit people, I'm writing an essay for school about the question "Can A Machine Know?"

It'd be interesting to hear what you all think about it...and plus there's gotta be someone a lot smarter than me in the pit that could give me a new perspective to consider for my essay.

Fire away!
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
I don't get it...

More detail please...
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Pit monkeys, thank you...
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
it can know 1 or 0 about a kajillion times
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Can a machine know what? I believe a machine will only be able to perform what its owner will give it the capability to perform. I believe it is impossible to have a machine that is capable of personal thought and free will. You can give it a way to respond to thousands of series of events and commands, but as far as knowing like a human, no.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Can a machine know what?
Quote by thewho65
What if I want my c*ck to smell like an egg roll?

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Well a machine's only as smart as its creators right? But machines don't really have judgement or decision making on the level that humans to. So, although your question is incrediibly vague, I'd say machines can not know, because they do not have a mind of their own.
computers do not know. they can store, but all a computer see's is binary, 1 and 0, on and off, yes and no. they do not 'think', and what appears to be a computer thinking is clever programming
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Man will eventually be able to make a machine that can change and adapt by itself, in my opinion it's almost inevitable, and when that happens, that surely will give machines the ability to know. Don't get me wrong, I agree with people saying machines can only do what you design them to, but some genius/idiot (however you see it), will most probably design a machine that can "think", react and perform by judgements.
if this is for tok pick a different title that one is impossible
Creator and Ruler of the I love Dane Cook club . PM me to join
lax brah

Derrrrrrrrr
Quote by Gemini
Can a machine know what?

i think what hes trying to get at, is can a machine be self-sufficient and think for itself, carry emotions and such.

and, to be honest i think machines are very limited to the creators capabilities and creative instinct

theres my input on it
Quote by Jaffaps2
It's meant to reflect Clapton's career, starts off good but then turns into a piece of shit.

The Lord has done mighty things with his right hand
Psalms chapter 118, verse 12
Define "know", define "machine", define "can"...

Does knowing require consciousness? Are humans machines, conscious or otherwise? Will anything else develop consciousness? Is the question more like WILL machines "know"? Is knowledge strictly human?
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Sorry for the apparent vagueness, but that's the exact wording of the question I was given (yes uncreative it's for TOK, and I'm doing it because it does seem pretty difficult. I guess I like a challenge?)

Basically, the point of the question is for me to define 'know' and 'machine' and somehow make a reasoned, logical argument about it. I don't think there are right or wrong answers, but there are good and bad arguments. As Nick Naylor would say, "That's the beauty of argument. If you argue correctly, you're never wrong".

Anyway, my first reaction to the question was very similar to the way most people here have responded. As musicians, I suppose we would all like to reject the idea that a machine could ever rival humans in terms of things such as creativity or emotion. None of us are very comfortable with the idea of a computer playing guitar with as much emotion as Robert Johnson, SRV, Jimmy Page, Satch or whoever your guitar idol might happen to be.

But I've read around the subject a little, and there's some pretty interesting theories out there. One of the most intriguing comes from this dude called Daniel Dennett (who coincidentally enough looks just like Santa's evil brother). Anyway, he believes that the human brain is a biological machine that has achieved a level of complexity that gives the impression of consciousness. From what I understand, he explains that 'emotions' are just a byproduct of this evolution (remember that emotions such as love have been scientifically reduced to an abundance of certain "neutrophins"...I have no idea what they are but hey it was from Wikipedia so it couldn't possibly be wrong).

This of course begs the question, could an incredibly complex computer also seem to have "consciousness", and if so, emotion?

And that's all I have to say...about that.

Um, any thoughts?
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
Last edited by jase_connor at Feb 5, 2007,