I really want to get a 5-string. i just don't know how i should get aound to doing it...
should i get a whole new bass, or just get a neck? i have a lot of (bass) bodies lying around...
Do NOT get a new neck. The string spacing will be totally messed up if you get a new neck... you'll also need a new bridge. Don't do it.

Also, if you really need the low B string, go ahead and tune your 4-string B-E-A-D. If you tune it like that and feel you REALLY still need that G string (personally, I just shift hand positions and can play most of the stuff I needed to from the G on the D), get a 5'er.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yea, your best bet is to tune your 4 string to BEAD, and see how you like it. if you like it, then go and get a 5 stiring, if not, then dont.

but buying a new neck and bridge wont work, you will have to route the cavity out and possibly get new pups. it would probably be cheaper to get a new bass
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
yea, your best bet is to tune your 4 string to BEAD, and see how you like it. if you like it, then go and get a 5 stiring, if not, then dont.

but buying a new neck and bridge wont work, you will have to route the cavity out and possibly get new pups. it would probably be cheaper to get a new bass

I've seen 5-string necks that retrofit 4 string bodies... and I shudder.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i dont think i could play something with that tight of a string spacing.
i would shudder too.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by thefitz

Also, if you really need the low B string, go ahead and tune your 4-string B-E-A-D.

Unless he has some really good strings, tuning down 3 steps will sound like hell...
Quote by Counterpoise
Unless he has some really good strings, tuning down 3 steps will sound like hell...

Go to the bass store and buy a single low B string, they're about $10. Or, buy a 5 string set and put the G in a guitar case. That's what I did. Don't tune a .105 string to B... instead, try these gauges:

.130 .105 .85 .70

That's what I (and many BEAD players) use.
Quote by Cody_Grey102