I've already decided on a head: the Epiphone Valve Junior. At a $100 I can't pass it up. But I want to get a very good cabinet and save up for a much better head later. No, I don't need some 4x12 monster. 2x12 or even 1x12 will probably be fine. Just so long as it is a really good cab. Suggestions?
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Ive heard good things about orange, but the 212 is around 400 i THINK, if not ive heard good but mixed things about avatar you could give it a try
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'm looking to spend anywhere from $300-500 on a cab. It doesn't need to be ridiculously loud; I'm playing it through my church's PA system, small gigs, and at home. If it is even possible at that price level, it would be nice to have a cab that will last me a long time and be a good investment.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Look at a cab by orange. their 2x12s are amazzing. They all come with Celestion v30s
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Really? Didnt know that. I know the 2x12 and 1x12 come with v30s though.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Hmm. Most the 2x12s Ive seen have Eminence speakers. But maybe thats because they were older...
The 1x12" Orange PPC model that's out and marketed as a cab for their tiny-terror would seem like a good choice. I'm concidering the same thing myself and will most likely get that Orange cab. I've heard alot of praise for Orange cabs.
Where can I buy Orange cabs? I live in the US, btw.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
Quote by TehJermie
Ear Candy buzzbomb 2x12 cab.

Awesome cab, a bit spendy. I use an Avatar 2x12 with my Epi VJ. One of best rated cabs is the DrZ "Z Best" 2x12. Another is the THD 2x12.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
Awesome cab, a bit spendy. I use an Avatar 2x12 with my Epi VJ. One of best rated cabs is the DrZ "Z Best" 2x12. Another is the THD 2x12.

A bit over 500 delivered, lifetime warranty, and promises to be the best 2x12 you ever play out of. Why not?
get an eminence patriot and build your own cab- comes to less than another $100.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by TehJermie
A bit over 500 delivered, lifetime warranty, and promises to be the best 2x12 you ever play out of. Why not?

Why not indeed. I said they were great cabs.
wow. can a valve jumior - a 5 watt amp really power two V30's? thats 60 watts of speaker! i dont understand that...
It doesn't take 60w to power the speaker, that the max handling rating for the speaker. The impedance has more to do with how loud/powerful the cab sounds than speaker wattage.
i see. so what you're saying is that because of the impedance, a VJ can go much louder than the average amp? because i might get one. do they distort? because the heads have one knob...
I'm not really saying that. What I'm saying is the rating on the speakers is not as important as the impedance. If you mismatch impedance you can cut your output in half or damage your amp.

The VJ actually is a pretty loud little amp. With a 2x12 mine can keep up with a drummer as long as he isn't going crazy. Do they distort? Yes in the vintage way, total tube overdrive by turning the volume up. After about 12:00 it doesn't get louder but distorts more. Mine gives me great classic rock tones at about 3:00, total Zep. I add a sparkle drive if I want more gain. You would need a distorsion pedal to get modern rock or metal tones.
I'm trying to get a good "brown zone" type of tone; not really distorted but not completely clean either. Of all the cabs suggested, which would be best for that? Or would they all be relatively equal? And musiciansfriend.com doesn't carry orange cabs...where can I get those?
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83