I've been playing electric guitar for about 9-10months... I also have an acoustic guitar but I barely play it... I know a few chords (about 10 of them) and I know how to make them with intervals and all that if needed...

I want to start fingerpicking (either on my electric without distortion or with my acoustic) but I don't really know how it works....

1) How should I play with my right hand (picking hand) ???
2) Should my left hands hold the chords down while I fingerpick them (all strings ringing) or should it sound clean and let ring only 1 note at a time (kinda like sweep picking sound) ????
3) What are easy songs to start?? I've never EVER done any fingerpicking sooo...

Thank you!
Last edited by hurlyz at Feb 5, 2007,
I just wanted to say have fun finger picking, because i started on elctric too and taught myself a bunch of classical songs. People find it much more impressive (most of the time) because it sounds so much more complex.

1) for the right hand, use your thumb for the E, A,D strings; Index for the G, middle for the B and ring for the high e (this might change depending on the song)

2) depends on the note duration and song

3) try spanish romance by anonymous (the tab can be found on this site)
also nothing else matters by metallica.

Good luck!
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by MySweetFracture

3) try spanish romance by anonymous (the tab can be found on this site)
also nothing else matters by metallica.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot dude!
I don't really know Spanish Romance but I'll sure give a try at Nothing Else Matters since it's a really good song ( + I learned the solo on my electric guitar a few weeks ago :P )

Would you bother giving me an accurate GP tab for 1 guitar (if you have one aldready)?? cause all the tabs I find are playing it with 2 guitars... but I only have 1 guitar... and I don't really feel like fixing it all... :S
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Just remember not to pick with you pinky

End of an Anchor by Dashboard Confessional was an easy song to learn for me, though the time signature changes about 10 seconds into the song, but once you get past that its pretty easy. Practice any song with arpeggios, such as **** Her Gently by Tenacious D, that will get you some finger strumming as well. Once you feel comfortable, take a look at Simon and Garfunkel
Does anyone have the GP tab for Nothing Else matters (with 1 guitar only) ???

If so, please send it to me or reply on this thread : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519591
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

you can try he other version of nothing else matters with one guitar only...it sounds good tho..or try more than words song...or scar tissue (rhcp), true (ryan cabrera)...for even harder songs, try under the bridge by rhcp (intro only)...btw, hav u learn any music theory for the past 9mths? if so, where did u learn music theory? just curious..good luck!
From my experience I would say that tears in heaven is probably the best song to learn finger picking on. Teaches all the basic skills in a few simple patterns.
Quote by sirazlan
btw, hav u learn any music theory for the past 9mths? if so, where did u learn music theory? just curious..good luck!

yea I've learned some music theory off UG, many books and many other websites... I know some scales, chord formation principles, i almost know my fretboard and hmm... things like that heh

Quote by Resiliance

Use this guitar pro tab
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/nothing_else_matters_ver7_guitar_pro.htm

And just play the track titled guitar 1.
The instrument should read acoustic guitar and the volume of that track should be 16, while the other acoustic guitar track has a lower volume.
Thats the way I play it and it seem to work well enough.

Also try learning Classical Gas - Mason Williams
At least just the intro. That song probably taught me the most out of everything i was doing when I first started playing guitar. It taught me how to hammer on and just how to use more fingers because it is a lot easier to play fi you use more fingers.
Quote by johnos
Use this guitar pro tab
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/nothing_else_matters_ver7_guitar_pro.htm

And just play the track titled guitar 1.
The instrument should read acoustic guitar and the volume of that track should be 16, while the other acoustic guitar track has a lower volume.
Thats the way I play it and it seem to work well enough.

Also try learning Classical Gas - Mason Williams
At least just the intro. That song probably taught me the most out of everything i was doing when I first started playing guitar. It taught me how to hammer on and just how to use more fingers because it is a lot easier to play fi you use more fingers.

Thanks for the tab dude! That's exactly what I wanted

Oh btw, do you guys think it's gonna be easier to fingerpick on an acoustic or electric?? or it's the same?? ..just wondering..

Quote by Resiliance

I find it easier to fingerpick on an acoustic because the strings are easier on the picking fingers at first, and also because you can attack the strings harder and not get buzzing.
Plus, if you can do it on an acoustic then its usually pretty easy to carry stuff over onto an electric