Poll: Do you condone euthanasia?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you condone euthanasia?
Voluntary Active
48 80%
Voluntary Passive
37 62%
Involuntary Active
22 37%
Involuntary Passive
27 45%
Voters: 60.
So, I'm wondering what you all think of euthanasia. There are different kinds, so look at the poll and see which ones you would condone.

Voluntary = The patient wants to die and has given an express request.
Involuntary = When somebody is in a coma so can't give their consent, but their family and doctors believe the best thing to do would be to kill the patient to put them out of pain.
Active = Where a drug is administered which directly kills the patient.
Passive = If the patient is on a life support machine or medication, passive euthanasia is where this treatment is removed.

Some things to consider are that if someone is in a coma with no hope of recovery, the pain they are in is unknown, but the money it costs to keep them alive and the space in hospital they take up could be put to use saving lives. However, sometimes a patient may want to die because they feel a burden, and that shouldn't be the case. If euthanasia was legalised, there is the possibility of a slippery slope, in that once the ball has started rolling, it may not stop and people could be murdered by families wanting inheritance money or just plain evil doctors.

So, what do you think?
I think when a patient is terminal and thus has no chance of survival, and are too ill to leave a bed and explicitly request it then there is no problem. Obviously there may be grey areas between voluntary euthanasia and suicide but they can be dealt with as they come.

Involuntary well, we already kinda have it. Pulling the plug on life support happens. I think that should be up to the immediate family.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
there are always those sudden recoveries you hear about when just before they are about to pull the plug the patient radically recovers. But if a patient is terminally ill and is in so much pain that they want to die sooner than later I'm all for that.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Well, I do believe that both Voluntary and Involuntary active should be condoned. Not only does this prevent suffering, it also gives the family the knowledge that the person in question died on their own terms, and didn't have the fear of whether they would wake up the next day or not. I don't feel that Passive is right, because it potentially leads to even more suffering before the end. I don't know, that's my opinion, I'm not an expert on life support machines. I remember a story my dad was telling me about a friend of his auntie who was dying. She had an illness that basically paralysed her. She was going to lose the ability to talk as well. She said to the doctors that she was in a very poor quality life, and that as soon as she was unable to talk, she wanted treatment to stop. She lost her speech, but the doctors couldn't do anything about it, because there was no written consent. That's barbaric. Definately in the UK, the euthanasia laws should be reviewed to take into account these situations.
Quote by Rambo-Conny
What's wrong with the youth in Asia?

Yes, i am an Ali G rip-off. So sue me.

You from Asia?

But in all seriousness, I think that pulling the plug on a vegetable is up to the immediate family like Rankles said. Wasn't there that situation a few years back... I totally forget the name of the woman but the husband wanted to pull the plug and the family wanted to keep her alive.

Someone remind me!
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Other than war where it is necessary, no one should have the right to take a life, there own or someone else's.
I think all are acceptable, depending on the situation. If the patient wants to die he should have a choice. If he's a vegetable and he's unable to recover, if his family so wishes to, I think death would be easier for everyone.
Quote by westo
You from Asia?

But in all seriousness, I think that pulling the plug on a vegetable is up to the immediate family like Rankles said. Wasn't there that situation a few years back... I totally forget the name of the woman but the husband wanted to pull the plug and the family wanted to keep her alive.

Someone remind me!

Terry Schiavo.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I'm for all but involuntary active. I dunno it just seems wrong killing someone who would otherwise survive, without their consent.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
I condone both forms.
Voluntary because well they want it and we can give it to them.
Involuntary because they are costing money and the family believes it's right. This kind causes a lot of arguements and controversy though.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
Quote by JC13
I don't believe in any form of euthanasia, of course, since the threadstarter is a close minded individual and doesn't have no as an option. The only one up there that should be REMOTELY allowed..is Where the person wants it done to them.

Sorry, I thought you could vote with none checked and that would count. Obviously it doesn't, but I should have thought of that.

Quote by westo
You from Asia?

Someone remind me!

Quote by Rankles
Terry Schiavo.

I think Diane Pretty was another case, I think she had multiple sclerosis.
If it's in the person's best interest and it's their choice then I beleive it's completely fine.
Quote by CowboyUp
Other than war where it is necessary, no one should have the right to take a life, there own or someone else's.

No one should have the right to take their own life? lol? Bible basher or just stupid?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by CowboyUp
...no one should have the right to take a life, there own or someone else's.

Why shouldn't I have the right to take my own life? If I want to do something which doesn't infringe upon the human rights of others, where's the problem? If someone was going to commit suicide I wouldn't stop them. I wouldn't encourage them either, I'd just allow them to make their own decisions. Their life is their own responsibility, just as my life is my responsibility. What gives someone else the right to decide whether I live or die? I'm tired of people trying to control the lives of others.
Much the same as Robbie. I'm not so sure on other people deciding if you should die or not, but for yourself certainly. Providing you're in a right frame of mind, and have reason, you should be able to take your own life. It's the only thing we have hat's uniquely ours, and we're being told we can't end it?
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
How are there more people for voluntary active than voluntary inactive?

That's like being for allowing someone to shoot himself, but being against allowing someone to refuse a blood transfusion.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
As long as the person wishes it, i think it is fine but if the person is in no state to decide for themselves, they still have a right to life and should be let to live it out
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!