Hi i want to mod my guitar head but i would like to know where can i buy them? Can a music shop do it? and are there Mods For Gain?? and What kind of mods? any hellp would be appreciated.
~My Gear~
ESP EX-50 (Dimarzio Steves Special in Bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Valveking 100
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Squier Strat
To be honest it's cheaper and easier to just buy a pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
which head??

the valveking??

honestly i'm not a valveking fan, and dont think it's worth putting money into it, but there have got to be mods to do...

first start with some pedals so you learn to solder and try to understand circuits a little more would be my advice...

hope it helped
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
is there a place to get schematics for mods?
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
Quote by TheChallenged
is there a place to get schematics for mods?

Here
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^For some amps. But most figure that if you're gonna be moding your amp and are at the level where you feel safe messing with high voltage, you should know enough to work stuff out yourself. Amp mods once you understand them when compared to some other electronics, are actually quite simple. There's a site dedicated to the Hotrod I know, and a bunch of Epi VJ sites. Those are all I've really seen though. Most of the bigger amp modders know their stuff and thus not many sites are out there.

So yeah, unless you get a very popular amp to tweak (Epi VJ is probably leading), you're basically on your own. 1800ksmyazz on here modded his Epi, and he knows essentially nothing and is pretty much a bumblefuck, so the resources are definitely out there, but only for certain amps. On a VK you'd be on your own from what I've seen.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
wheres these websites
~My Gear~
ESP EX-50 (Dimarzio Steves Special in Bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Valveking 100
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Squier Strat
lol thats funny, bumble****, anywho pink you gotta watch some of that flaming yourself, just saying... ok im sorry. :'(
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Hey Pink, I modded my VJ too. I feel neglected that you failed to mention my "bumblefuck-ness".

But in all the searching I have done for mods, I havent really seen any mods (that I know of) for the ValveKing. I dont really know where you would begin. Maybe kissing Pinks ass could get him to help you work something out.
I do mods. I talk to the customer, find out what it is he likes and doesn't like about the amp and we decide what to do about it. Then my job is to study the design and find the most elegant way to achieve what we want.

There are guys who have various kits to sell. Still others have some "standard" mods for particular models. For the most part these are for people who feel the need to just do something. In another forum we joke about this urge to change stuff. Usually you're better off just buying an amp you like.

So what don't you like about your amp?

Do you have any skills with a soldering iron?

If not, what's the budget and where do you live?

Ron
Ron
Quote by Mascot
*warns TPQ*

>_>

<_<

I shouldn't laugh at that, but....

"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Im a what!? Excuse me?

A bumblefuck. Excused.

batman123, the_random_hereo---Don't spam.

Mascot----Stfu.

Don't flame.

Meh.

As everyone has stated, there are alot of schematics out there, just look around. With the Valveking I wouldn't really bothered.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
if you really just want more gain, get a booster pedal, or build one yourself. www.generalguitargadgets.com has a few good ones. the LPB-2 is good, and really simple.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Actually, TPQ was using a technical term. It is only a coincidence that it sounds as if it might be pejorative.

Ron
Bumblef*ck:
"Bumble**** is a person who by, way of word or action, misrepresents the outstanding level of intelligence/professionalism of his fellow workers through ineptitude, ignorance or stupidity."
Which does seem fitting given all the fuss. Not that I want to get drawn into the argument.
Anyway, on topic, one way might be to lower the B voltages/input voltages at certain stages, to achieve clipping at a lower inout level. Still, seems the threadstarter expects a website to walk him through absolutely everything, which won't happen. An OD pedal would be best.
Are there any websites that have information about studying your amps schematic and figuring out your own mods? I've heard of there being extra diodes in my amp, but i have no clue how to pinpoint which ones to remove and such. Where do the professionals learn this? College? That's the only option i have considering my high school has no electronics courses whatsoever
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
I've learned it all from the internet, for the most part. I'm nowhere near the level of some people, but I feel pretty competent. First learn the basics of electricity, simple stuff like AC/DC, what resistance is, what capacitance is, voltage, etc. Learn how it all interacts with formulas like ohms law. Once you get the basic stuff down you can start figuring out how semiconductors and tubes work and from there how an amp works as a whole. It does take a while to learn it all for sure. And don't bore yourself senseless, while you're at it build some stuff and do some experimenting. Tweak things, and see what comes out of your changes; there is lots of fun to be had.

Anyways, the simplest thing you could do is probably tweak the cathode resistors/cathode bypass caps, and/or the attenuation between stages. That's how I'd start. Lowering the B+ would work too, but personally I wouldn't do it for a first mod, as that'd be poking into the high voltage supply and screwing up could turn out very badly. Though it wouldn't be hard, just a few Zeners. Also, lowering the B+ tends to change the distortion characteristics of the amp quite a bit. Makes it kinda more fizzy sounding...hard to describe.

If you really want to go nuts, you can always add more preamp tubes. Most high gain (technically distortion) amps nowadays get their gain from a triode-attenuation-triode-attenuation setup to get a gradual build up of distortion. Just overdriving the hell out of one tube starts to sound kinda fuzzy.
That turned out a bit rambly, but yeah.

thanks man. i got like an electronics thing when i was little and just recently i started getting back into stuff like that. i have a boss super overdrive i think i might check out some mods for, as well as maybe building a pedal from scratch before tearing into my amp. but anyway, thanks for the help
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212