As I have begun to write my own music, I want to express my ideas the best I can. So that means learning deeper theory. I can't get lessons, besides I am already self taught.

So I am looking for areas of theory I should look into. My main influences are Joe Satriani, Dream Theater, Yngwie Malmsteen, classical, some world music etc.

My chops are ok, but are improving all the time. I can sweep and alternate pick quite good, but my timing is a bit off.

I think I need to look into chord theory more. I understand intervals a bit (they are the specific notes of a scale, but thats about it) What else?
Thats not really DEEP theory, thats all stuff you learn your freshman year in music theory, but fairly in depth.

I think you should look up what the terms Counterpoint, Fugue, Non-Harmonic/Passing Tones, Secondary Dominants/Modulations, orchestration (For non-C instruments), and try looking at your favorite song in a full score, try to analyze it and outline the phrases and find the pattern the song has, like what key/progression does each phrase have? Find all the patterns you can and try incorporating it into your own style/song.

Keep playin', man.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Thats not really DEEP theory, thats all stuff you learn your freshman year in music theory, but fairly in depth.

I think you should look up what the terms Counterpoint, Fugue, Non-Harmonic/Passing Tones, Secondary Dominants/Modulations, orchestration (For non-C instruments), and try looking at your favorite song in a full score, try to analyze it and outline the phrases and find the pattern the song has, like what key/progression does each phrase have? Find all the patterns you can and try incorporating it into your own style/song.

Keep playin', man.

He clearly isn't ready for that. He said "deeper" as in, relative to the level of his depth now. I do dig your advice though, it just isn't quite fit for the sitch. Stick around

@Threadstarter, go to where Bangoodcharlotte sent you, that will help you a lot. Learn your major scale like no tomorrow, seriously. Learn intervals, and chord construction. That will keep you busy for a while.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.