alright so ive got a ibanez rg321, and i realised that im not going tog et a better feeling guitar really unles si spend more, i love the neck, and its mahogony, but the stock pups are garbage

anyways i play a lot of machine head, protest the hero, amon amarth...so pretty high gain stuff, i use a high gain tube amp, is a emg 81/85 combo my best bet? i ahd an old jackson that had a duncan designed hb102 which is like a jb ripoff and liked that? any help guys? thanks
what about a 60, is the 85 really that shit for cleans? cause i heard a lot of guys actually use a 85 in the bridge?
I think you should go with Bareknuckle pickups, if not go with swineshead pickups. Although they're both from the UK, its way worth spending the money on those.

The only problem with going with EMG's is:
1) sterile tone IMO
2) The Cleans lack immensly
3) replacing the battery
4) Rewiring your guitar for active pick ups

If you stick with passive pickups like Bareknuckles:
1) Far superior tone, and can handle just as much gain as EMG's can
2) Cleans are excellent for high output pickups
3) No battery to replace
4) Installing these pickups will either be free (if you do it yourself), or much cheaper than if they were actives.

Thats what I think, but if you're set on the EMG's, then the 81 & 85 combo would suit you best.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
bareknuckles are just a ****er to get around here, i have easy access to duncan, dimarzio, emg and stuff like that, what about a JB, anyone around here use that in their bridge (sh-4)?
a jb itself seems to be very widely used these days? are actives really better then passive, like i know tone is a matter of opinion, but i do know a lot of my players are using JB's or did use jb's (mustaine,adler etc)?
The JB is one of my favorite pickups. But I like my EMG 81 more. It makes the distortion oh so much more smooth and it cuts through WAY better. My low-end is very defined...like when I tune low and do some chugga chuggas it sounds so freaking good lol.

The JB comes standard in pretty much all ESP/LTD guitars along with the 59' at the neck. Which says a lot for the JB, IMO.
The JB is a great pickup, dude. I just had a JB/JAZZ combo installed in my 16 year old Epiphone Flying V and it's just killer!! It's a nice overall sound, not focusing on too much of anything like highs, mids, etc. With the right amp and gain settings, it's crunchy as heck!!
If you want a little hotter, go with the Duncan Distortion. That's the hottest ceramic Duncan makes next to the Dimebucker, but to me that's overkill.
Yeah i watched an interview on the ESP site with Michael Ammott and Will Adler tlaking about how the JB is their rpeference over actives (emgs im assuming they mean). I know theres lots of toher actives, i guess im going to have to try a set, I think i might throw a JB in my ibanez and then get a ltd ec 400 or 500 in a couple months with actives, thanks for the help guys..guess its all preference like anything, thanks again fellas
what bareknuckles are decent? im lookign to replace th pupsin my SG faded special (dont bash it its an amzing axe, and found a Gem its possibly the best one out there... i think it was a factory fluke cus all the others ive played blow..) anyho, i was thinking EMG's 81-60 combo, but bareknuckles seem like a good choice, so what ones,??

Also Iplay in drop C and mainly metal, but sometimes 80's rock/metal too.

Mostly killswitch slipknot ect ect..
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
There aren't really any bad Bareknuckles dude. The MM is their closest pup to the EMG81 if that's what you're looking for. The nailbomb and warpig are also a couple great metal pups. If you don't like something about them, you can talk to Tim before he makes them for you to change something, or you can send them back to change them. They come with a lifetime warranty, and each set are hand made on order. They cost your firstborn in the US though, that's my only problem with them. They are great, but not double the price of EMG's great, at least IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Well im on the us alright and I dont plan on spending more than 200 for a set...

and really I dont think that emg;s are bad at all, but the active part does turnm e off in the respect that i need a battery and the wiring will be a bitch in my SG.

Sry for highjacking the thread, saw my oportunity and jumped.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
actually man, the EMG's are easier to wire than a regular 4 conductor pickup IMO. There is one hot lead for the battery, and one hot lead for the pup. The shielding in the ground. The wiring is very straightforward, and they give you all the parts you need with the pups. Simple job IMO. The batteries last at least 6 months if you unplug the guitar cable when you aren't using it. If you are looking at a BK set, expect to pay around $380USD for a calibrated set.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ok well thanks a ton. also BK set?

linkage to dealers?
Mail Goes here.

Quote by Erock503
well, I've only ordered thru the BK site. http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

I would ask TehJermie, because I've haven't seen them as cheap as he's getting them.

Check the dealer page, you'd be surprised to see that a local guitar place near you may be carrying them, and you'd save some shipping cash no doubt.
I found the ZW emg set for 198, with everythign so i think im ognna do that instead. Not that I buy signature gear ever, in fact the very though of it sickens me, but its a complete kit so I cant go wrong.
Mail Goes here.

Quote by TehJermie
Check the dealer page, you'd be surprised to see that a local guitar place near you may be carrying them, and you'd save some shipping cash no doubt.

hey, that is surprising, I found a local shop that has the MM set for $340. That is a much better deal I must say. I ordered mine from BK before the dollar went in the toilet, so I payed less, but that's still much better than I've seen recently. The benefit of ordering them thru their site, is getting to talk to Tim personally, and getting input on your pups before they are made. I ordered my MM with creme zebra covers, with the whites on the outside of the neck and bridge pup, in a calibrated set.

Quote by SGKIDD
I found the ZW emg set for 198, with everythign so i think im ognna do that instead. Not that I buy signature gear ever, in fact the very though of it sickens me, but its a complete kit so I cant go wrong.

the ZW set is really just a money saver, it's the exact same pups if you bought them seperate. I wouldn't even consider that a sig pup, it's like a discount pack. You get a ton of extra parts too. I still have all the long shaft pots that came with my set, since I only used the short shaft. I would look on eBay, I got my set brand new for $165 w/shipping BIN last year, and there were several dealers.

Edit: hey SGKIDD, IMO, the BK's are a better pup, but I don't know if they are double the price, or almost double the price better, that's all. I have a pic and a little video of the pups in action. They can even make a multi sound "not too shabby"!
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 7, 2007,
That was a really nice clip Erock. The ZW set is a really good set, but once I grew out of my OUTPUT OUTPUT OUTPUT stage, I really needed some more character in my pups. Don't get me wrong, I like my gain, but I like some beauty with it too . BKPs are high, but I think they are worth the dough, I think if you're really serious about your tone, you'd spend the money. Not dogging frugality or anything, but yeah.
thanks man. yeah, I agree with you, the MM is like a marriage of both. It's like the output of an 81, with the warmth and character of a passive. Definitely a great pup, I just wish it was a little more reasonably priced. It's easily one of the best pups I've owned though, if I had the cash, they would be in every guitar I have most likely.

Quote by d_byrne23
alright so ive got a ibanez rg321, and i realised that im not going tog et a better feeling guitar really unles si spend more, i love the neck, and its mahogony, but the stock pups are garbage

anyways i play a lot of machine head, protest the hero, amon amarth...so pretty high gain stuff, i use a high gain tube amp, is a emg 81/85 combo my best bet? i ahd an old jackson that had a duncan designed hb102 which is like a jb ripoff and liked that? any help guys? thanks

hey bud, sorry about the hijack
EMG 81/85 would be a great set for that guitar. The 81/89 and 81/60 are also sets to look at. I prefer the 89 over the 85 personally. Also check out the BK's obviously, and I've also heard good things about the SD full shreds, so have a look at those too. If you like the pseudo JB, I'm sure you will like the regular JB. I've always looked at the JB as more of a classic rock or 80's metal pup, but that's just my own opinion. I guess adjusting the poles really can help some of the complaints about it too. It was a little harsh on the treble end for my taste, but I never tried the pole adjustment, just pickup height.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 7, 2007,
my only worry with the 81 in the rg is that, although it's a mahogany body, it has a maple bolt-on neck, and the mahogany is quite thin. I know people say the 81 is good for mahogany, but they normally mean all-mahogany construction, either set-neck or neck-thru. an 85 in the bridge might even be worth a try.

or just go SH/BK- but they are quite expensive (compared to the other pickups you can get your hands on) in your part of the world, and as erock says, I'm not sure if they're "twice as good", so to speak. They do kick ass, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Didnt even think of that. Come to think of it...most guitars I see that come stock with an EMG 81 at the bridge are all mahogany with a set neck and a rosewood fingerboard...

Then again Im always around LTDs lol...So...
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
my only worry with the 81 in the rg is that, although it's a mahogany body, it has a maple bolt-on neck, and the mahogany is quite thin. I know people say the 81 is good for mahogany, but they normally mean all-mahogany construction, either set-neck or neck-thru. an 85 in the bridge might even be worth a try.

or just go SH/BK- but they are quite expensive (compared to the other pickups you can get your hands on) in your part of the world, and as erock says, I'm not sure if they're "twice as good", so to speak. They do kick ass, though.

I dunno Dave, I guess it's preference. My Schecter is mahogany with a maple set neck, and it sounds great with the 81. Not thin at all IMO. I tried the 85 in it, and didn't like it as much. I ended up putting an 89 in the neck.
amp clips
amp vids
Ok one, Erock Thats nice, Im impressed, I cant shred like that, sadly... im more of a classic style solo-er. I prefer my penta tonics, and major scales....

But anywho, I liked the tone OK it wasnt drop dead fantastic, and I think the EMG's are gonna sound fine in my SG. also how old are you, Because I swore I saw a wedding band ont he finger of yours..
Mail Goes here.

Quote by Erock503
I dunno Dave, I guess it's preference. My Schecter is mahogany with a maple set neck, and it sounds great with the 81. Not thin at all IMO. I tried the 85 in it, and didn't like it as much. I ended up putting an 89 in the neck.

that's cool, i was just throwing it out there- also, i meant the body of the rg was thin, not the sound, lol. additionally, i'm guessing set neck sounds a little beefier than bolt-on (rg)?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yeah set necks tend to sound a bit thicker, warmer, fatter...etc. than bolt-ons. My favorite is neck through though. So warm and fat sounding...
^ yeah, neck-thru is awesome, I like the fret access myself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SGKIDD
But anywho, I liked the tone OK it wasnt drop dead fantastic, and I think the EMG's are gonna sound fine in my SG. also how old are you, Because I swore I saw a wedding band ont he finger of yours..

tanks man

yeah, the tone wasn't great, but what can you expect from a multifx and analog line in. I was just messing around with moviemaker and my webcam. The pups really do help it though, the MM are a great pup. I agree however, if you like the sound of EMG's, I think you will like them in your SG. They are super quiet as far as feedback, and they handle high gain applications with ease. I keep looking for better pups, but I just keep coming back to EMG after trial and error. Also, that is a wedding ring, I'm an old fart, but a guitar newb unfortunately. I played from 16-18, then didn't touch a guitar for 15 years. I just started playing agian 2 years ago, but I still pretty much suck. It's a lot more fun now though, with all the new technology and instructional stuff out. Got another pic to share, my little baby boy Aidan. He just came into the world this week. E-stogies for everyone. baby pic
amp clips
amp vids
^ awesome, congratulations!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?