I'm going to try to word this the best i can, please bear with me. .

To find a major scale, you use the chromatic scale and go T,T,S,T,T,T,S (T= tone, S= semitone).I understand all that. I hope.

I understand that the formula for Penatonic minor is I-III-IV-V-VII. But what is it related to? I sure hope that makes sense. How do i know what to relate it to? the chromatic scale, a major scale, im not sure. I really hope you guys understand, i can give it another shot if it doesnt make that much sense...
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
But do i find it using the chromatic scale? I found the minor penationic by taking the notes from A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. No sharps or flats. I dont know if i did it right, so that is my question. Does it always go to the chromatic when picking out the I-III-IV-V-VII or do i just use the ABCDEFG?
I want to say go with the chromatic scale, but I don't really know what you mean by that.

Edit: This is how I do it.

Start with a note. Then go up three semitones (frets). From that note, go up two semitones. From that note, go up two semitones. From that note, go up three semitones.

So if you start with B and go up three semitones, you get D. An additional two yields E. Another two, and you get F#. Another three gets you A. Hence, the B minor pentatonic is B D E F# A.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 5, 2007,
Ok. I'm sorry im not explaining well enough, ha ha ha. Let me try again. How do you find the Penatonic Minor Scale?

EDIT: vvv Yep, thanks
Last edited by 812many at Feb 5, 2007,
Quote by 812many
Ok. I'm sorry im not explaining well enough, ha ha ha. Let me try again. How do you find the Penatonic Minor Scale?
My guess is that you started to reply before I realized which thread this was and edited my post. Am I correct?
Quote by 812many

EDIT: vvv Yep, thanks

Let's say you want to find A minor pentatonic. You take A minor:

A B C D E F G and then you take away the 2nd and the 6th notes. So A minor pentatonic is

A C D E G.

Another example:

Let's find F# minor pentatonic. Take the F minor scale...

F# G# A B C# D E

And take away the 2nd and 6th notes...

F# A B C# E.

EDIT: Nevermind lol.
i'd like to step in here with a quick pentatonic lesson....

now threadstarter, you want to find the wonderful world of pentatonics, thats grand.... lets start with what you know

you already know that the major scale is

T,T,S,T,T,T,S (T= tone, S= semitone)

sweet sweet, so in A major this would be

A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#

the major scale relation is looked upon like this

A - I
B - II
C# - III
D - IV
E - V
F# - VI
G# - VII

the I, II, III etc is considerd the degree of the scale, for the sake of simplicity i am not referring to specific chord designations at this time.

now to make a major pentatonic scale you would remove the semitones (half steps) which would give you the following scale

A,B,C#,E,F#

tada that is the major pentatonic scale

now to find the relative minor of a major scale you simply move up to the VI degree of the scale, as indicated above it is F#, so your relative minor would be F#m, spelled out as such

F#, G#, A, B, C#, D, E

F# - I
G# - II
A - III
B - IV
C# - V
D - VI
E - VII

now as BGC stated to make this pentatonic you would remove the II and VI which would net you with the remaining notes

F#, A, B,C#, E

and that would be the F# minor scale. i hope this has been informative, have fun!
Ok. Im sorry for asking so many questions. To turn a major scale into a major pentatonic, do you remove the IV and VII notes? Then to make it a minor pentatonic, you take the minor scale and take out the II and VI?
Last edited by 812many at Feb 5, 2007,
Quote by 812many
Ok. Im sorry for asking so many questions. To turn a major scale into a major pentatonic, do you remove the IV and VII notes? Then to make it a minor pentatonic, you take the minor scale and take out the II and VI?
Yup.
Yay! im starting to understand. Last question i hope, how do i get the minor scale? (in tones and semitones please?)
Quote by 812many
Yay! im starting to understand. Last question i hope, how do i get the minor scale? (in tones and semitones please?)
1 up tone 2 up semitone b3 up tone 4 up tone 5 up semitone b6 up tone b7.