Hey,

I'm a huge GNR fan and i notice that Slash always tunes his guitar down half step. Any reason why?

Why wouldn't he just play the same stuff but move his scale half a step?
Gibson Les Paul 60's Neck
Fender Blues Junior
Boss BD-2 - Keeley Phat Mod
Vox V848 Wah
EH Small Clone
i suppose if they are detuned then the strings will be slacker, alowing bigger bends and easier play. im only guessing though
i'm not exactly sure but i know alot of players do this cause it is easier to play...but i doubt slash does it for this reason
Because it be harder to play alot of riff's. Such as nightrain , playing that in normal tuning ( w/o chaning key ) would be hard. That has nothing to do with anything though the truth behind the matter is that it is easier for Axl to sing over Eb that normal E.
its usually for the singer, i assume axl is more comfortable in a slighlty lower range
[although obviously he can sing really high, i still think this applies]
yeah
He could do that but everything is obviously lower in half-step down and playing some things up wouldnt make some open chords sound right and it affects the singing too
Quote by nephilium
its usually for the singer, i assume axl is more comfortable in a slighlty lower range
[although obviously he can sing really high, i still think this applies]

so thats why necrophagist sounds like like satan on steroids....... because of the tuning! whodathunkit?
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Tuning down a half-step gives it a more full sound and heavier, sounds better too
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
VAn Halen did it to get a more gibson like feel, jimi did it to do big as bends. Alot of times ,it s for the singer though.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.