I'm in the search for a decent set of headphones. I am looking at spending no more than $100 for sure, unless someone can argue a case for open phones, I'd prefer closed, and any other information would be fine. I want to use them to just listen to around home and practice my bass in there, so hopefully the bass response is great

I am thinking of purchasing these Vic Firths. I admit that I am a pretty health concious and I do want headphones that can protect my ears while playing on my friends drum set, that is set up at my house. I am tired of using the foam construction ones that eventually irritate my ears. I see they have about 8.25 rating, but again I'm not out on the search to blow money, just a decent pair. I see they dip down to the 20 hz range, which is good to know because the lowest note on the bass is generally 27.5 hertz for a 5 string drop A.

Any other recommendations are welcome! Thanks for helping me make a wise decision in buying a pair of headphones that are affortable, hardy, health protecting, and anything else!
Free Thinkers are Dangerous
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826159215

those things have amazing bass, and can go very loud without clipping.

closed headphones have a Scooped feel to them, i find open back more satisfying to listen to as it delivers typically MUCH clearer crisper highs and mids and are less Bass oriented, without Losing bass.

but for what you want under a hundred dollars, these will do wonderful.

edit: fixed link
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Last edited by boardsofcanada at Feb 5, 2007,
Holy Harmony, the Sennheiser HD-280 sure can go low! A little pricey, and though I said tops at $100, I'd rather go with the Vic Firth unless a valid argument agaisnt one and for the other could be said. Well, why would you be willing to pay $50 extra for heapdhones. I'm on a tight budget, but I've got some money to spare if it's WORTH spending.

I'm glad to hear a positive remark towards the closed phones. I'd have to say I'd hit up the Sony's just because they are a little cheaper. Thanks so far guys.
Looking at the Sennheiser, looking good, but I have a feeling they aren't going to block out the drumming. I am going to need something to protect my ears while rehearsing with my band, and my drummer is super loud (something I will be working on, especially as the bassists) Hey, if I shoot it down, don't be worried about proving me wrong or keep showing other great products, I'm still up to anything, but I am beginning to lean towars the Vic Firth.

Does anyone see a reason why not to go after them?
Use earplugs for hearing protection when playing live. Any Elcheapo sealed ear (closed) cans are ok for home practice. You aren't mixing Led Zep IV there. Just practicing some chops.

I have some really nice phones but I use a really cheap set of Chinese made WIN brand phones for bass practice. They have a LONG straight cable that plugs right into the computer, separate volume controls on each ear cup and they are lighter which means I practice longer.

(I have a set of very light but open air Sennheiser HD450's I use mostly for listening to recorded music and they sound good, but not for bass practice. I have a set of KOSS PRO-4AA studio phones I only use for critical listening. Koss Pro-4AA phones are not the most comfortable phones to wear but they do sound REALLY good.)

Practice isn't critical listening. Mixing something is critical listening.

Vic Firth's are nice, but I'm not sure they are really necessary. I mean, what girl ever said, "Wow the bass player looks so hot in his headphones, I want him!" If you know what I mean.

On the other hand, going deaf isn't cool. Use earplugs for gigs and rehearsals and some cheap sealed ear headphones for silent practice at home. As Billy Joel wrote, "Don't waste your money on new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap set of speakers."
VOTE CAROL KAYE FOR ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME!
Right on, thanks brother from a different mother!

I still think I will go with the Vic Firth because they sound all around what I want. I totally understand playing live with headphones that would have a cable dingling, how corny would that be? Being able to listen to my iPod and not hear my family is always nice too, seriously. My drummer is so loud too, I think if I get tired of these, he'll buy them off me anywho. I'll see what he says.

$45 isn't an arm and a leg to me and they'll be good starting out headphones so I become familiar with others. I wont be getting them within this month, so no worries. Thanks for the information guys.