How do I get that clankiness that Frank Bello has when he plays? (Title may be misleading; by tone I mean that clankiness Frank Bello has) I can play both fingerstyle and pick but can't get that sound.
I've always wondered how thrash bassists can get that clankyness...DD Verni of OverKill is another clanker.
I'm not familiar with that particular bassist, but I do know in most thrash metal bands the bassists will do what's called "Pick Attack." Meaning they use a pick, and they use the pick hard in a downward, as-horizontal-as-possible method. Plus they use longer scale bass necks, occasionally downtune, and crank the equalizer in such a way to accent the strings bouncing off the fretboard (I beleive they boost mids and highs, but don't quote me on it.)
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I'm not familiar with that particular bassist, but I do know in most thrash metal bands the bassists will do what's called "Pick Attack." Meaning they use a pick, and they use the pick hard in a downward, as-horizontal-as-possible method. Plus they use longer scale bass necks, occasionally downtune, and crank the equalizer in such a way to accent the strings bouncing off the fretboard (I beleive they boost mids and highs, but don't quote me on it.)

Well, Frank Bello uses fingers almost exclusively, and as far as I know, in Anthrax he doesn't downtune.

His tone sounds like there are substantial mids though.
he probably plays pretty hard though
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Yeah, Frankie ranks up there with Steve Harris in the realm of "really really hard finger attack". But I thought Lots of bass and treble with scooped mids was thrash 101?
not sure, i know greg sanders (troy sander's brother who is the frontman for mastodon) scoops his tone and plays very very hard. he is in Bloodsimple
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.