Wha... Why would you need to tighten the strings?
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
what type of guitar is it. ill post a pic and tell u how.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
On my guitar, and a couple others I've changed the action on there are two screws down by the bridge, one either side that can be used to raise or lower the action. I don't know if that's the case for many guitars or only certain ones.

Some guitars require you to remove the neck and put bits of...card or something between the back of the neck and the guitar body to lower action, sorry for the vague explanation. That's a bitch...well...when you're in a hurry anyway.

for an LP, u loosen the bridge screw on each post. that will loosen the thumbscrews, pointed to by red arrows. u loower those thumbscrews a little, then tighten it all up again.

if it seems too hard u can loosen the strings a little first.

phil's pic.

edit: the viper seems to also have a TOM bridge, so it would be adjusted in the same way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

VERY IMPORTANT: the minute you adjust your bridge height your intonation is going to get screwed up and you'll need to fix it.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
^ it's just tuning. it should be checked regularly anyway.

not all action adjustments change intonation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you have to ask on a forum you probably shouldnt be doing it.

Just take it in and get a pro to do it. It will feel and sound better and you will thank yourself in the end.
^not true. it's a simple adjustment. and asking smart questions like this one, is how u learn.

simple adjustments knowing ur guitar, is an important part of being a musician.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by matt221984
If you have to ask on a forum you probably shouldnt be doing it.

Just take it in and get a pro to do it. It will feel and sound better and you will thank yourself in the end.

fool, of course he should be doing it himself its a standard adjustment that anyone with half a brain can do when told how, he has now learned how to adjust his bridge, you my friend will just have wasted a wad of cash gettin some pro to do it, and you will have gained no knowledge of the guitars workings, and teh 'pro' will be laughing at you as he puts your money in the cash register and loosens a few screws in your bridge.
I didnt mean to be a dick. I guess my comment wasn’t really productive at all.

All I meant was if the "strings are sitting way too high" as the OP says, it's not really a little adjustment... You might have to lower the bridge quite a bit. The more you change it the more you risk not doing it proportionally and you are increasing the possibility of your intonation going out, which is a whole other topic in itself.

Then if you want to get picky, lowering your strings significantly can change the sound of the guitar... you might need to adjust the pickup height as well.

On top of that the issue might not be the bridge height in the first place, maybe the strings are too high a gauge and they are bowing the neck… maybe a truss rod adjustment is needed.

It was just more complex than some people were letting on and I didn’t think it was fair to the OP. It is not like it is hundreds of dollars to get it looked at, and if you take it back to the place you bought it they might give you a discount or do it for free. Then you can ask someone who actually has the guitar in their hands and can look at it and tell you oh yeah, it’s just the bridge height, or whatever.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
EMG 81/85 Active Pickups
Line 6 Spider II 120

Guitar Stuff
^a set up is $40 on average.

the change in pup height in relation to the strings, shouldnt be significant.
even if it was obvious to a young ear. that's a screw turn as well.

lastly, if lowering the bridge brought on buzzing, then lifting it back up would stop the buzzing. a neck adjustment wasnt brought up, because the TS didnt repost and say there was a problem.

lowering the strings really isnt complex. it's simple and reversible.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62