Poll: Is Black a Shade or a Color?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Black a Shade or a Color?
Shade
53 36%
Color
49 33%
**** Off
47 32%
Voters: 149.
Page 1 of 2
Okay, when people ask me my favorite color, I say black. 3\4 of the people say, "No, black is not a color, it's a shade, don't be such a retard." So, what do the people of this fine website think on this matter, Shade or Color?
We had a thread like this a month or so ago. It's not a color.

Edit - I should say that scientifically it's not a color, it's the complete absence of light. However, if you were to use it in a painting or to say, "Hey, that cat is black," it would be pretty safe to refer to it as a color.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Feb 5, 2007,
black is the absence of color
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
black is the absence of color.

all wavelengths are absorbed in black, so what you are seeing is nothing, because no light is reflected.
It's a shade. That's why I voted **** off.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by daytripper75
black is the absence of color.

all wavelengths are absorbed in black, so what you are seeing is nothing, because no light is reflected.

so as i stare at my black hole puncher i am actually seeing nothing...?

i don't know but i'm pretty sure that hole puncher isn't nothing...
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Umm, I say Color, because shades are like, sky blue.. That's a shade of blue.. Or like brick red, that's a shade of red. Black isn't a shade of anything.. It's the oppsite color of white.
Who cares honestly?
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by ledzepprules09
Umm, I say Color, because shades are like, sky blue.. That's a shade of blue.. Or like brick red, that's a shade of red. Black isn't a shade of anything.. It's the oppsite color of white.

Sky blue is a lighter shade of blue. Brick red is a darker shade of red. Shades are either lighter or darker. Without light being reflected, it is a shade, as a colour can only be seen by that colour's wavelength of light which enters your eye.
Shade.
Thread over.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
technically : a shade
by matter of mass opinion : a color
Holy crap, my UG account still exists?
Last edited by soulfly_freak at Feb 5, 2007,
Not a color. At all. Ever.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
black is neither a shade nor a color.. it is the absence of light.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Let's not all just say the same thing that whoever said just cause they said it, here, lets put it this way.. What color is a black Crayon.. Don't tell me it isn't black. Cause it is.
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
Who cares honestly?

+1
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by cubs
whats happens if you get that stuff on your shirt? cus yesterday i was at a party and i got some on my shirt, will the stains go off?
Quote by ledzepprules09
Let's not all just say the same thing that whoever said just cause they said it, here, lets put it this way.. What color is a black Crayon.. Don't tell me it isn't black. Cause it is.

Very dark grey.

I win.
I call it a color but..... If you really want to be an ass and act all smart and piss eveyone off you would say that black is the complete absence of light, without light there can be no color therfore black is not a color.

But **** it if it's a color of a crayon it's a color.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Take any color and its darkest SHADE is black

/thread
Quote by sglover34479
MOFAUX is the coolest guy ever. Women want his babies.

The rest of you are balls
Quote by Ironbodom

But **** it if it's a color of a crayon it's a color.

Theres also white crayons.
Quote by lateraluspiral
Theres also white crayons.

What's your point?

And if you are about to tell me something along the lines of, "OMGZ Wh1T3 1Sn'T A c0l0r." Then you are an ignorant dumbass. White, is infact that combination of every color that exists combined.

And if you mean to say something else, my apologies and i would be interested to hear what you have to say.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Quote by MOFAUX

/thread

Win.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by lobster624
so as i stare at my black hole puncher i am actually seeing nothing...?

i don't know but i'm pretty sure that hole puncher isn't nothing...

dude, yes! you totally get it.

sweet.

im not the only one.
I'm pretty sure that it can be both (although "shade" isn't exactly the correct term).

When it comes to light, black is a shade. When it comes to pigments (stuff like paintings, shirts, ect), it is a color.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
technically black is the absence of light, technically it is also a shade in some applications.

But actually, it's a fecking color, so c'mon people.
Black depends on your point of reference.

If you're talking LIGHT, black is the absence of colour.

If you're talking PIGMENT, then black is all colours.
Can't stop the signal.
I find it weird when someone tells me that their favorite color is black. I think it's a way to be "different" for them or something. back to the subject, it's a damned shade.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Yes, that's true; if you look at a pure black object, you really are seeing nothing. Of course you know it's there... but visually, you're seeing nothing.

I don't think there's much in nature that doesn't reflect light of some kind. The only way to purely see black, is to simply look at a vaccuum (with nothing behind it of course, like space).

Yeah, it's a shade. The entire greyscale is made up of shades.
WE ARE NOT, I REPEAT NOT, STARTING THIS WHOLE DAMN THING OVER AGAIN.

last time someone posted a thread like this there were several pages of explanations as to exactly what black is and still no one believed it.

*cries*
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
"Color" is how our brain interprets the property of a certain surface to more or less absorb electromagnetic radiation from within the visible spectrum. "Black" is when the brain goes "hey, the eye didn't pick up any light, let's represent that somehow". So black is as much a color as any other.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by MOFAUX

/thread

here here.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Black is a colour. A colour is determined by what parts of light it reflects and doesn't reflect. When no light is reflected the colour is black. when all light is reflected, the colour is white. When the light is partially reflected you get the likes of red, green, blue etc.
Black can be considered a colour....if u call it a shade...i ask u shade of what ???

Since its the absence of colour....u know its a colour without a colour....
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by esther_mouse
WE ARE NOT, I REPEAT NOT, STARTING THIS WHOLE DAMN THING OVER AGAIN.

last time someone posted a thread like this there were several pages of explanations as to exactly what black is and still no one believed it.

*cries*

Awww.....its ok esther its ok....we still...no...I STILL LOVE YOU
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
I take GCSE Art, it's a shade.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Quote by benjy118
I take GCSE Art, it's a shade.

i take A level art

he's right though.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Page 1 of 2