Poll: Is marriage pointless?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is marriage pointless?
Yeah it doesn't make any sense.
18 33%
Marriage is a special thing.
36 67%
Voters: 54.
Page 1 of 2
Blissful Myth Lyrics

It's Escapist shit of a feeble kind
a ****ed up institution for ****ed up minds
holy Matrimony is a Blissful Myth
Wholly based on tradition, wholly based on bullshit

think you love each other, think youre so in touch
but its the shit institution you love so much

Is your caring so stifled so Perverted and Sick
That you need vowes and Duties so that it won't Slip?
You make your love secure but what of Respect?
Does it only exist as another truth to forget?
So your limited caring is the best you can give-
Smeared with lies and traditions behind which you live
Holy matrimony is a Blissful myth
Wholly based on tradition Wholly based on bullshit.

What's the point of marrige anyway?
What's up?
Idk, I'm sorta in the middle...You marry a person to prove you are dedicated to a relationship, but if you truly are both dedicated then there is no need for proof...
Quote by bassdrum
Idk, I'm sorta in the middle...You marry a person to prove you are dedicated to a relationship, but if you truly are both dedicated then there is no need for proof...

Yeah that's what I can't figure out because if you were truly dedicated there is no need.
What's up?
Really, it's just a piece of paper..

But in our culture now a days it's a normal thing to do. So I guess it's not so pointless
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by cubs
whats happens if you get that stuff on your shirt? cus yesterday i was at a party and i got some on my shirt, will the stains go off?
But a couple pay taxes as a couple rather than individuals...much cheaper.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Well, love isn't stupid. Marriage? I don't see what's wrong with it. It's... marriage. It's a sort of promise, of sorts. That sounded faggish. ****.
Quote by HPLoveCraft

What's the point of this thread anyway?

fixed
Hi, I like pie.

¯\(º_o)/¯
well, as of right now, I would say I wouldn't want to get married, but right now all I'm looking for is a hot piece of ass, but maybe as I get older and wiser I would end up changing my mind.
It's basically a symbol of how much you love each other, and a vow/promise that you both make to each other to be together forever till death do you part. Of course people nowa' days don't take that into account anymore when they get married.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Quote by FloydPink92
fixed

Lol. I just wanted some interesting opinions cause I'm bored.
What's up?
The sacred institution of marriage, what a load eh? either way marriage is pointless u already love each other enough to spend the rest of your lives together be with each other all the time, marriage is another institution based on greed if u ask me. People charge tens of thouasnds of dollars for a ceremony a peice of paper that costs u so much money u spend ur entire life paying for i say screw the whole damn thing, the fact is we are so freaked by the whole marriage thing that people go freakin crazy over the whole thing relax dont worry if u really are gonna be together that long u dont need a peice of paper for proof.
You'll understand marriage once you're in love and in a committed relationship. That's a guess, I'm not basing that on personel experience.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Marriage mean nothing now. Vows are nothing to no one anymore. Divorce rates are through the roof now. It's all about the lust, not love. That's why i'll never marry, date and remain celibate all the way thru.

~stepco
Quote by stepco12345
Marriage mean nothing now. Vows are nothing to no one anymore. Divorce rates are through the roof now. It's all about the lust, not love. That's why i'll never marry, date and remain celibate all the way thru.

~stepco

43%
What's up?
A say this to all with a straight face, and with a lot of experience on my side:

DONT MARRY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! IF THEY WANT YOU TO PROPOSE, AND YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, MAKE THEM DRAG YOU KICKING AND SCREAMING EVERY INCH OF THE WAY
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Marriage has become quite meaningless. I'd rather be with someone who I know will stay with me because of their will alone, not because some legal documents force him to be there.
Heh heh....

I think that a big reason why so many people become divorced is the pressure that is pushed on a couple when they marry. Suddenly, within less than 24 hours, it's no longer a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, it's now a 'marriage,' and things are supposed to be completely different. But really, it's just the same thing with a different hat.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
It seem sort of pointless to me too. Since most marriages end in divorce after a year or two, why bother at all?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Tyrannous
This thread is asking for arguments.

argument:

Noun
1. a. A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate. b. A quarrel; a dispute. c. Archaic A reason or matter for dispute or contention: "sheath'd their swords for lack of argument" (Shakespeare). 2. a. A course of reasoning aimed at demonstrating truth or falsehood: presented a careful argument for extraterrestrial life. b. A fact or statement put forth as proof or evidence; a reason: The current low mortgage rates are an argument for buying a house now. c. A set of statements in which one follows logically as a conclusion from the others. 3. a. A summary or short statement of the plot or subject of a literary work. b. A topic; a subject: "You and love are still my argument" (Shakespeare). 4. Logic The minor premise in a syllogism. 5. Mathematics a. The independent variable of a function. b. The angle of a complex number measured from the positive horizontal axis. 6. Computer Science A value used to evaluate a procedure or subroutine. 7. Linguistics In generative grammar, any of various positions occupied by a noun phrase in a sentence.
Etymology
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin arg*mentum, from arguere, to make clear ; see argue.
Synonyms
argument, dispute, controversy
These nouns denote discussion involving conflicting points of view. Argument stresses the advancement by each side of facts and reasons intended to persuade the other side: Emotions are seldom swayed by argument. Dispute implies animosity: A dispute arose among union members about the terms of the new contract. Controversy applies especially to major differences of opinion involving large groups of people: The use of nuclear power is the subject of widespread controversy.
What's up?
You'd think after my pending (recent) divorce I'd be all about being bitter.

But, if you find someone thats worth it, go for it. Just remember, it is hard work its not just, get married problem solved. Takes trust, compromising and learning to talk to each other.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Heh heh....

I think that a big reason why so many people become divorced is the pressure that is pushed on a couple when they marry. Suddenly, within less than 24 hours, it's no longer a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, it's now a 'marriage,' and things are supposed to be completely different. But really, it's just the same thing with a different hat.

Yeah, I agree with this dude. I think marriage is just a little something extra, to make your love 'official', so to speak.
Isn't there benifits to being a married couple?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Tyrannous
This thread is asking for arguments.

<_<
>_>

I think Lovecraft is a troll.

Anyway, back to the subject:

If it's so stupid and pointless to you, then don't get married. Others, however, do want to get married. Let them get married without complaining about how stupid it is. It's as simple as that.

Quit complaining.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by Soul Power
You'll understand marriage once you're in love and in a committed relationship. That's a guess, I'm not basing that on personel experience.

Im not.
You'll get it when you've got a stable relationship.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by bassdrum

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

forever. that my exact thought. marriage = FTL
Quote by musicianamedave
<_<
>_>

I think Lovecraft is a troll.

Anyway, back to the subject:

If it's so stupid and pointless to you, then don't get married. Others, however, do want to get married. Let them get married without complaining about how stupid it is. It's as simple as that.

Quit complaining.

1.You're just pissed because I made that one thread you didn't like. Sorry your highness.

2. I haven't even complained about marriage so you're just bullshitting yourself.

3. Stop trying to act like you're some kind of upperclass being with some kind of uber ethics shit. It's retarded.
What's up?
I'll stop calling marriage dumb when someone shows me a blissful marriage of at least ten years. I have not seen that EVER.
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
Ghandhi was the greatest shredder ever.

Quote by Siftings
Ian Mackaye confuses a shot of heroin with his insulin, and hilarity ensues.
Quote by HPLoveCraft
1.You're just pissed because I made that one thread you didn't like. Sorry your highness.

2. I haven't even complained about marriage so you're just bullshitting yourself.

3. Stop trying to act like you're some kind of upperclass being with some kind of uber ethics shit. It's retarded.

1-I'm not pissed. I just think that people who bitch about stuff that they don't have to participate in is retarded. And what thread did you make that I didn't like?

2-How the hell are you not complaining? The entire first post of this thread is about how you don't like marriage. Last time I checked, that's complaining.

3-Good job. Based on the fact that I think you're a petty person, you've assumed that I'm a self-righteous prude. You fail at life.

Quote by asbestospie
I'll stop calling marriage dumb when someone shows me a blissful marriage of at least ten years. I have not seen that EVER.

I could give you the names (and email addresses) of at least 20 couples that have been happily married for over 10 years.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
1-I'm not pissed. I just think that people who bitch about stuff that they don't have to participate in is retarded. And what thread did you make that I didn't like?

2-How the hell are you not complaining? The entire first post of this thread is about how you don't like marriage. Last time I checked, that's complaining.

3-Good job. Based on the fact that I think you're a petty person, you've assumed that I'm a self-righteous prude. You fail at life.

I could give you the names (and email addresses) of at least 20 couples that have been happily married for over 10 years.

What's up?
You consider yourself a self righteous person, it pretty much says so in your sig. Btw I didn't type Blissful Myth. It's a song. Therefore all I typed was, "What's the point of marriage anyway?"
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
You consider yourself a self righteous person, it pretty much says so in your sig. Btw I didn't type Blissful Myth. It's a song. Therefore all I typed was, "What's the point of marriage anyway?"

My sig is a joke. It's self-parody. And I don't care if you didn't write the lyrics to Blissful Myth. By the act of posting it on this website, and not disagreeing with it, you've established it as your opinion.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
You've just established that it's an opinion not a complaint. And if you are using a self-parody then it's a terrible one because it closely resembles your normal attitude.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
You've just established that it's an opinion not a complaint. And if you are using a self-parody then it's a terrible one because it closely resembles your normal attitude.

...a complaint is an opinion numbnuts. And once again, good job making assumptions about me based on personal bias.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
It's not an assumption, there's proof of it in your previous posts. You used the word bias incorrectly since I have nothing to be biased against you in the first place. You are also complaining about my thread so you're actually the one who is bitching.

Also note that everyone else has been able to share their views without a problem.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
It's not an assumption, there's proof of it in your previous posts. You used the word bias incorrectly since I have nothing to be biased against you in the first place. You are also complaining about my thread so you're actually the one who is bitching.

Also note that everyone else has been able to share their views without a problem.

You assumed that because I called you a troll and told you to quit bitching that I'm conceited.

Also note that I didn't say anything about anybody else's views because they didn't start the thread, and what I said about your post encompases most of what other people have said.

Say whatever you want in response to this, I'm not gonna reply. We've both wasted too much bandwidth by arguing.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Page 1 of 2