This weekend I bought an Ibanez GSR200FM from Guitar Center. When I got home I broke the A string while tuning. I noticed that the neck seemed to be curved a little but didn't think anything of it. I got a new pack of strings today (Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys) and while tuning the G string I proceeded to break it. I kept trying to get it in tune but it just wouldn't get it right. Every fretted note and open note would rattle on the frets. I changed the action on the bridge but that didn't do shit for it. I'm just wondering what else the problem might be. Could it be the truss rod or the nut not holding the strings high enough? To make it worse, Guitar Center refuses to acknowledge there could be a problem although I do have a 2 year warranty. I'm pretty mad at myself right now.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Could be that you're severely over-tuning your strings. I know it's unlikely, but I've done it once before on a guitar. It's relatively difficult to break a bass string, otherwise. If you're tightening it to where the strings are very very tight, and there is no amount of "play" when you wiggle the string, then it's way too tight.

It's unlikely that the nut isn't holding the strings high enough, since it is a new bass. If you're getting a lot of rattle, then it could be your action. However, as you describe it, the neck may be severely bent. Look down the neck from the headstock and see if there is any dips or bends in the neck.

My suggestion is that you take it to Guitar Center and show them your problem. From my general experience with GC, they seem to be very helpful, most of the time. Try it out.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Well I called them to explain it and they pretty much blew me off and told me to take my problem to Ibanez. It is definitly curving as you go towards the headstock. I raised the action since that fixed the problem on my other bass. I started tuning from very loose and took it very slowly. It never found the tune until it broke. I'm thinking of calling a local guitar store and seeing if they can help.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

i think it might b a prob with da truss rod ... u shud definitely take to a local store asap
Quote by aixelsydevahi
Well I called them to explain it and they pretty much blew me off and told me to take my problem to Ibanez. It is definitly curving as you go towards the headstock. I raised the action since that fixed the problem on my other bass. I started tuning from very loose and took it very slowly. It never found the tune until it broke. I'm thinking of calling a local guitar store and seeing if they can help.

You say you have a warranty? Is it under Ibanez, or Guitar Center? If it's a GC warranty, check it. I would assume that a warranty under GC would say that GC is somewhat responsible, if not liable through the warranty to fix your bass.

If anything, I still suggest going to GC and showing them your problem. If they blow you off again, then I'd get my refund and take my business somewhere more accomodating to paying customers.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
GC has a 30 day policy for returns. If you're simply not happy with the product you can return it. The same is true for MusiciansFriend and AmericanMusical and zZounds. (except theirs' is 45 days). You shouldn't have this much headache with a new bass. Go back to GC (screw the phone...talk to them face to face) and if they blow you off there....go to their boss.

From http://www.guitarcenter.com/financing/30_30.cfm

30 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

Our goal is your total satisfaction. If you're not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied with your purchase2, simply return it in its original condition within 30 days (14 days on certain items3), and we'll give you a full refund. It's that simple. Just return it along with your receipt, manual and all original packaging for exchange or refund.
I dont know about the USA, but in the UK the SHOP WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT is responsible for the warranty. They cannot fob you off and say it's Ibanez's problem, because it is their problem. Dont phone them up, go in there with your bass, your receipt etc. in the UK, this is covered in the Sale of Goods Act, which states that a product must be fit for sale, and it must do what it says it is going do for a decent length of time etc etc.. This clearly isnt fit for purpose. Take it back, and speak to the manager, not some shmo on the shop floor.

Cha.

Can i just ask though, you are tuning it with a tuner arent you? How can you snap a string unless you are overtuning it?
I am using a tuner. I start off very loose and slowly tighten it. It NEVER said it was in tune though. I just kept turning it until it finally snapped It was a mistake on my part. They are supposed to mail me something with my warranty information in it. When I get that I guess I'll just go in there and get them to fix it.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917

Just go to the centre and keep demanding service until they give it to you. Like Applepenis said, in England it's the store responsable for the warranty, and I'd imagine it was the same in the US.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
The neck is meant to bow slightly, are you sure you aren't just over-tightening the strings?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by guitargod108
i think it might b a prob with da truss rod ... u shud definitely take to a local store asap

u shud lern 2 type

As for the thread-starter, I'd advise taking the problem directly to Guitar Center, and stress the fact that you bought the bass that way. If they still won't replace it, then there's a problem, especially with the 2-year warranty. If all else fails, you could try that local shop, even if they won't replace your guitar.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
This may be a stupid question, but is there a chance you're tuning it an octave higher than it should be?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by indie-bassist
The neck is meant to bow slightly, are you sure you aren't just over-tightening the strings?

After raising the action the string would still sit on the first 5 or so frets and rattle. You could only get a good sound out of fretted notes after about the 12th fret.

That is the best picture I could draw to show the problem.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917