I've had my 4-string (Charolette) for a decent time now, and unfortunately the back of the neck has been through some very rough times, due to a combination of mostly carelessness on my part. While it is still very playable, it's bumpy towards to top where it has fallen and gotten dented, scratched, what have you, and now I'm wanting to fix it.

I'm thinking about sanding down the neck and then running back over it with some steel wool (#000) to keep it nice and smooth. However this raises a couple questions, first of all could shaving off 1-2mm of wood with sand paper damage the integrity or sound of my neck? And will the Steel wool aftercare keep my neck nice and smooth as it is now, or should I relaquer it as well?

I doubt that it would have any serious detrimental effects on my bass, maybe 1-2mm will be taken off, but getting some more opinions on the matter would be nice.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
you will need to seal it, otherwise it will be just like a MM neck, smooth but gets dirty extremely easy. if you seal it, it wont be dirty so easily
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Ampeg SVT
you will need to seal it, otherwise it will be just like a MM neck, smooth but gets dirty extremely easy. if you seal it, it wont be dirty so easily

I love my MM neck and as long as you wipe it down after playing a give it a really good clean every so often, it'll be fine.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
yeah but i bought my Stingray used (not so with my Sterling) so it was very dirty, there was clumps of sweat and dirt on it and i either have to scratch it with my fingernails or get some flat object to scrape it with
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.