When I'm at Guitar Center, it seems as though people really don't know what the **** they're talking about. Even the really good guitarists. I remember this GC employee, a portly, short man that reminded me of a scarier Danny DeVito was telling me (with a straight face, after I explained my desire for tube tone) that the only difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp is that a tube amp is louder, for jamming over a drummer.

I was actually offended by this shit. He then went and did sweep picked arpeggios on a crate solid state amp, and some tapping. !? Then that dude and another employee recognized me, and stopped me to chat the next time I was at the store, maybe a month later. The last time I was there, it was a grand opening and the line was quite long to get in. I was 2nd in line, though...

Anywho, a couple days ago, I witnessed this phenomena again. All these old vets discussing which <300$ solid-state amp they'd get. Another fellow was telling me how his friend plays a SRV siggy Strat through a Line 6 Spider II. There was no hint of irony in his voice. I have a Spider II. Yeah...

In general, I've heard so much bullsht at GC, it's shaken my spirits. It's one thing to hear nonsense from people who spend some cash on instruments, it's another to hear skilled guitarists spew ignorance.

Anyone know where I'm coming from? Am I crazy? Why do people on forums seem so much more educated on these issues? I come here, and read something stupid, and it's immediately torn apart by 5 or 6 people. At Guitar Center, I rarely here anything sensible. Yep.
^ I concur. I'd be too intimidated to apply, though. I'd fear my skills wouldn't be up to their par. I also wouldn't trust myself to sell instruments to people, even though my knowledge is probably better than many GC employees.
While i sort of agree, i always wonder why people take guitar so seriously.

You always get the people saying they practice for 6 hours a day and go to Guitar Center 3 times a week, but i mean really, that's unhealthy. And you know that many of those people just say they practice that much to reenforce the thought that they are above average.

To respond to you, i'd just go Machiavellian on them and make sure you know what you're talking about. If that happens, why should you care if some ignorant idiot who didn't do his research in the first place gets some bad advice?

Then again, that's Machiavellian thinking.

And once again, the thought of the month, "People suck, get over it."
sitting in front of your comp. you have alot more time to think of a response, when youre a guitar center you only get about 5-10 secs. max before you give a response, any longer and people start to wonder whats wrong wth you. Anyways, thats just a guess.
The Dude abides
Quote by Twist of fate
Working at guitar center would be amazing

Amen
Hi, I like pie.

¯\(º_o)/¯
It pains me to watch some of the guys at the places around here try to explain things to me, when I know they're wrong. I thought they were the experts.

BUT, I guess they hire guys who they know will sell equipment, not necessarily have a clue.
Meh, I never go to GC....

Small Local stores FTW!
Member #1,267,859 of the I'd die for Dethklok club. PM Vigilantius to join.

Infanterist of the First Reich of the Grammar Nazis.

Quote by MusicMan00
I noticed the avatar before I read what you said. Then I read it. Then I laughed.
Quote by Rockon914
sitting in front of your comp. you have alot more time to think of a response, when youre a guitar center you only get about 5-10 secs. max before you give a response, any longer and people start to wonder whats wrong wth you. Anyways, thats just a guess.

HAHAHAHAHA

Quote by Bmm386
While i sort of agree, i always wonder why people take guitar so seriously.

You always get the people saying they practice for 6 hours a day and go to Guitar Center 3 times a week, but i mean really, that's unhealthy. And you know that many of those people just say they practice that much to reenforce the thought that they are above average.

To respond to you, i'd just go Machiavellian on them and make sure you know what you're talking about. If that happens, why should you care if some ignorant idiot who didn't do his research in the first place gets some bad advice?

Then again, that's Machiavellian thinking.

And once again, the thought of the month, "People suck, get over it."

I wouldn't be able to sell something as important as a musical instrument if I didn't know what I was talking about. That is tantamount to killing animals.
Well I don't have any GC's within 45 miles from me, so...

But when I got my Variax at GC, the guy was testing it out to see that it worked and was wondering why it wasn't working. Then he realized that the piezoelectric pickups needed batteries.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by FloydPink92
Amen

yeah, except i hear they pay jack poo, so no one stays there for long cause the kno-nothing mangers are dildo brains, and the few people that do know stuff just talk to people they can sucker into buying epiphones, no offense to epi lovers, but you know what i mean, if you dont then mehh, also, its retail, only asses can survive in retail
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
I've heard alot of crazy stuff from some of them but other employees are very cool.....The only thing that annoys me and makes me laugh is all the kids who come in, grab a guitar, turn up the amp and play really sloppy riffs from like Iron Man and Smoke on the Water...
Quote by Skraeling86
I wouldn't be able to sell something as important as a musical instrument if I didn't know what I was talking about. That is tantamount to killing animals.

That's the point. I mean, nobody is really going to have a movie type plot where they spend their last 200$ on a guitar and amp. It's a 200$ investment, and if you can't pay that easily then you shouldn't be buying a recreational instrument. And even if your standard idiot buys a sub-par guitar, it's still going to last awhile, your low end squiers will last at least a year if you play nice.

They don't sell guitars that are going to spontaneously combust, you have consumer protection. So selling a guitar is not a tough thing to do without advanced knowledge, and if you're in the market for a $500+ guitar and buy a terrible one, it's yur fault for not doing the research in the first place.
okay i don't care if they only have 5-10 seconds to respond to you, they should know the products they're selling! I work in sales in sporting goods retail and people ask me questions about everything from why is this running shoe better than this or why is this bat more expensive than that etc. and I have to know what to say right away and can't be bullshitting a whole lot or else you just look like an idiot. The dude workin there should have a response for mostly any question you throw at him and he just looks like a moron if he doesn't. I'd like it more if the guy told me "well to be honest i don't know, but i'll find someone who could answer it for you" intead of feeding me bull that i could care less about. just my view on it.
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
oh yea and i was just at GC on saturday and bought a $1700 Taylor c-314 and the guy who helped me knew everything there was to know about acoutics and the one i was buying too..so not evveryone that works there is bad, but yea i'd say most guys are pretty bad.
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
i dont know everything about guitars, but its the guys that are basically like "Im right, you're wrong" piss me off
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick