Well what would be a good key to write one in? I'm pretty sure that the scale is going to be some kind of melodic minor or something like that. I just wanted to know a good chord to start on.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
In my experiences with writing love songs, It doesnt matter much what key you use really, I know this sounds corny but its all in emotions, Good Love songs are written from ones soul, Just sit down think about the one you love and softly play what comes out.

I probably didnt help you but oh well
And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes
my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times
I have died, and will die.
It's all right. I don't mind.
Yeah, don't worry about keys... however you can start analyzing popular love songs for good practice. Some may be in B minor... others maybe in F major.. just depends on the mood and melodic setting.

Pay close attention to making memorable melodies and good non-cliche lyrics.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
I just wanted to know a good chord to start on.

G

For no particular reason except that G is my favourite note for no particular reason.

I also suggest you try out mixolydian, it is a beautiful mode.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
try using minor 7ths rather than just a straight minor chord. A Barre chord of say Bmin7 at the 2nd fret opens up possabilities of hanmmer ons & pull offs to enhance the chords.
keys dictate the soul/feeling of a piece. that's why they're called keys.

basically, get your mind in the right spot for a love song. if you have the lyrics already written then focus on them until you have the feeling for them. then start playing. you'll know if the key you're using doesn't feel right. then when you're all done, transpose the song into every key possible, and if the first key still sounds best, you nailed it.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Quote by Pizzapotamus
keys dictate the soul/feeling of a piece. that's why they're called keys.

Wrong. The player dictates the soul/feeling of a piece. notes on paper are just notes on paper, the player is what makes the music come alive, so keys don't really matter that much.

And for a tip, you have to be in love with something/someone to write a love song, you can't just sit down and write a 'love song'

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
And for a tip, you have to be in love with something/someone to write a love song, you can't just sit down and write a 'love song'

I disagree. This could be a girl you dream up or wish you knew.
^ That is love. It's a different form, but love comes in many forms.

Love the Low end