Ive been listening to them a lot latley and i wanna find some other bands that kinda sound like them.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Siftings
No....but they're still supposed to be in the Punk forum

Weird, they sound alternative to me *checks mp3 player* hmm 2 albums are listed as punk and 2 are listed as alternative. Stupid WMP.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Rise Against belong/are listed in the punk forum, but I thought they were like screamo or some kinda metalcore or something odd like that. I must not remember correctly?
Quote by RyanEck
Rise Against belong/are listed in the punk forum, but I thought they were like screamo or some kinda metalcore or something odd like that. I must not remember correctly?

To answer this question: Rise Against are extremely difficult to categorize. They are not screamo, although their singer does scream rarely. They are Punk, but if you post about them in the punk thread, people will probably tell you they're Pop Punk. They are alternative. And in a way, hardcore....in a punk way... so there you go...

To answer threadstarter's question: I agree with that dudes suggestion of thrice. I once described Rise Against to my brother as a mix between The Offspring and Story of the Year, though some may disagree.

Go with Thrice
"For Us, For Them, For You"
Quote by RyanEck

Screamo/metalcore?!?!?!

I think you're thinking of Raised Fist, which are hardcore.

I'd categorize Rise Against as punk, but not necessarily Dead Kennedys/Black Flag/Rancid type punk. More mainstream, but not pop-punk, and with a tinge of hardcore influence.

But yeah, Thrice is a good band to listen to, regardless if they sound like Rise Against or not.
just listen to vheissu.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
Rise Against are essentially more of a pop-punk band, but there's definite hardcore influences. I say this time and time again, but there is nothing wrong with being a pop-punk band. I regard the Ramones, the Offspring and Bad Religion to all be pop-punk bands. The last two RA albums in particular are melodic, anthemic and purposeful with a lot of depth to them, they just happen to be on a major label and catchy as hell. Great band with a lot to say. Older stuff is faster and louder but I like the new stuff equally as much.

If you're after similar bands, you could try Thrice, more 'The Illusion of Safety' and 'Identity Crisis', although the other two (particularly 'Vheissu') are phenomenal and probably better, but sound less like RA). The band I always recommend to people though is Strike Anywhere. Try 'Change Is A Sound', it's quite similar to the first RA release. Also maybe try Propagandhi (I've actually only heard 'Potemkin City Limits' at great length but I like it, particularly the song 'Iteration'), Anti-Flag and that kind of band. You probably know some but those are fairly similar. Possibly even No Trigger, they're not that well known I suppose. Hope some of that helps.
i thought they were emo/screamo

but i dont know much about them
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Strike Anywhere
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Quote by aebers79
To answer this question: Rise Against are extremely difficult to categorize. They are not screamo, although their singer does scream rarely. They are Punk, but if you post about them in the punk thread, people will probably tell you they're Pop Punk. They are alternative. And in a way, hardcore....in a punk way... so there you go...

To answer threadstarter's question: I agree with that dudes suggestion of thrice. I once described Rise Against to my brother as a mix between The Offspring and Story of the Year, though some may disagree.

Go with Thrice

dude, my childhood love for offspring i credit for my current love affair with rise against. and yeah, i dunno how to classify them either. i just call them damn good.