Im currently working on my fourth and fifth restore projects, and im having trouble getting the final finish to look good. Is really worth all the effort of painting and sanding and over and over again? ive been sanding between every two coats or so, depending on how each one turns out. and its never good enough...each coat ends up with imperfections, so I sand them out and give another coat. Its like a never ending process. should i move up from using spray cans and find a more professional setup? should I just pay a few hundred and have it done by a guitar shop? painting to the color i want is no problem, just the final clear coating is a real pain. Ive been using a very fine steel wool, and a semi-gloss polyeurithayne??? spray can for the clear. The guitar is gonna be a relic but i still want a nice clear to protect the wood. any suggestions?
Probably finding someone with an air compressor and spray gun set up you can use, or buying one, should help alot. Then you can use much better quality paints and with practice should be ale to spray a lot more consistantly. Especially with the clear. Using a high quality clear ( I used what they use for car finishes) makes it alot easier and nicer and well protected finish.
is hanging the body any better or worse than having it lay flat on the workbench?

just remembered - ive got a compressor. any suggestions on a decent spray gun?
Last edited by piecies_81 at Feb 6, 2007,
I'm not sure about that one. I suppose it's easier to get an ever coverage and quicker to do both sides at once but if you're using an air compressor/spray gun it's like impossible, it has way too much air pressure it just blows around everywhere. There's probably a way to do it though I just couldn't think of one. I'd say hanging it would be better and quicker.
Dude that looks ****ing cool as a vintage project me thinks!
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Actually it started out as one of these -

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KAY-LES-PAUL-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-BUILT-IN-EFFECTS_W0QQitemZ320079004275QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought off ebay a few years ago and the thing smelled of cig. smoke sooo bad that I never took it out of the case. I tried cleaning it several times and even left it outside for like a week...none of which worked... So, i decided to strip it down. What you see now is the final look, besides some clear coating. I really like the relic, aged look...this will be my 3rd one..im also working on a strat relic.
Man, buy a clear pickguard blank and use that to cover the hole. And then leave it like it is.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I gota admit, thats kinda cool man
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...