I apologize beforehand for I really have very little info for my question. Every once in a while I come accross videos and recordings of guitar playing (always on an acoustic) where the player is using insane strumming, finger picking, fret tapping, and sorta using the guitar like a drum for a beat. The only real example I have is Khaki Kings song "Playing with Pink Noise". I've seen it done by numerous people on the internet and I would love to learn the techinques. Any help would be great.
LONG LIVE ME!

HONK HONK WIZZ WIZZ OH WHAT A MATT YOUNG HE IS!
It's just fingerstyle, although I tend to refer to some of it as percussive fingerstyle.

Check out these videos for more...

Justin King

Antoine Dufour

Don Ross

Andy Mckee

And my personal favourite at the moment, Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor's latest album is awesome, although maybe less what you're looking for as it's less percussive.

Kaki King is good, but more of an aquired taste. She's an ex drummer so treats the guitar as a percussive instrument to a much greater degree than the others. Still good, but I'd prefer it to be more tuneful.

However, her performance on Conan is pretty intersting.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
OMG! Justin King is the one I always see and am like "how the hell does he do that"? I've been playing guitar for about 10 year now...and consider myself pretty "learned" and "skilled" but when I tap my guitar with my thumb like that...it definately doesn't make that sound. Is there a certain style of fingerpicking he's doing there? How do I begin to learn to play this style?
LONG LIVE ME!

Well all I can recommend is head over to www.candyrat.com and check out some of the artists there. I've not seen much more Justin King except that terrible pop rock video he did so I kinda peg him as a one hit wonder now.

All the other artists have records on Candyrat, so you can check them out. Also Antoine Dufour sells handwritten tablature in PDF format as bundle downloads if you check his page, and the tabs are spot on.

There are extra techniques in there obviously that don't appear much outside of this style, but you can pick them up by watching and learning. If you have a problem with one you could always ask here.

Oh by the way, people always mention Tommy Emmanuel and Michael Hedges too, both on Candyrat.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Always loved Tommy Emmanuel and Michael Hedges. There's another guy too..can't think of his name...does a version of "Somewhere over the rainbow" in all harmonics. Thank you for all your help bud.
LONG LIVE ME!

Ah cool well you'll be familiar with it then. Don Ross coined the term 'heavy wood' for it and it seems both Andy Mckee and Erick Turnbull have picked it up so yeah, heavey wood
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Tommy Emmanuel might be one of the best guitarists in the world. His albums are great and all, but live, he is a completely different player.