Hi,
I've been playing an acoustic guitar for like a yr...sadly trying to teach myself...lets just say its not going that great but I'm still working on it.

I'm going to go out and buy myself an electric guitar (aiming for the affordable ones )I've done some searching on forums and reviews on a few and from what I've read, the following seem ok:

Epiphone g400- Alittle over my budget but if it ends up a guitar that'll last (as in quality wise) then alls good

*Would it be best to buy guitars seperately and an amp rather than those bundle packs? If so, what amps would be best with an epi?*

Then there's the packs: epiphone special 2 and the epiphone SG, although they seem to be termed as 'good for beginners'. Thats cool and all, but I'm hoping to find a guitar that'll be a bit more than just 'a goodish first' electric guitar.

Oh, and music wise, it would pretty eclectic. I'd be *trying* to play, blues to rock to punk. Sorry if thats alittle broad. I read that gibsons were good for those kind of musics, and the majority of the groups I've checked out use those. I wouldnt mind a gibson but a wee bit over my current budget, so I read epiphones were a good alternative.

Thanks
ahh naa dont go for the epi starter packs
the yamaha pacifica starter pack is really good though, its how i started out
epiphones are okay... you should get a les paul, though... and not a pack, buy the guitar and amp separately... the packs usually suck

EDIT: it seems the Yamaha Pacifica is a good starter pack... you should get that one, then
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
The amp in the 112 starter pack is awful. You'd be much better off buying the guitar and amp seperately.

EDIT: I think it's a 012 in the starter pack, I can't remember.
I had a 112 and it was great for learning

If you can afford it, the Ibanez JTK2 is excellent for it's price £200 - $300..

And i'd also agree with a roland cube, or a vox ADT series
p.s. don't bother with the 012, definitely pay the extra £25 for the 112. It has better hardware and an alder body instead of agathis.
Do what i did 2 years ago. A Squire Strat and a Marshall MG10CD. Since you are new to Electrics, you'll find the Strat is very comfortable to play. In Australia, it cost me $300 for the Guitar, $150 for the Amp. Total in USD would be bout $275-$300.
Quote by MonsterOfRock
Do what i did 2 years ago. A Squire Strat and a Marshall MG10CD. Since you are new to Electrics, you'll find the Strat is very comfortable to play. In Australia, it cost me $300 for the Guitar, $150 for the Amp. Total in USD would be bout $275-$300.

Squier strat is a good guitar for the price but it doesn't offer near as much versatility as the 112 and the only thing it beats the 112 for is neck PU highly fuzzy tone, frusciante etc...

And the MG10? The distortion channel is horrendous, Actually the worst thing I have ever heard. The Cube is a million times better.
Quote by treagar
Umm what is your budget?

I was guessing about $350 given his choice of guitar originally but then I have no idea what that costs in america.
Get a fat strat. Versatile, durable, reliable. As far as an amp, just not a Fender. Fender makes some good amps, however a strat never sounds good throught them
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
Get a fat strat. Versatile, durable, reliable. As far as an amp, just not a Fender. Fender makes some good amps, however a strat never sounds good throught them

SRV was clearly wrong.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
amps in starter packs normally suck.

I'd go with yamaha pacifica 112 + roland microcube/cube 30 or vox valvetronic/da5.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For a starter electric guitar, I think the very best is a Behringer iAXE393 for the following reasons:

1) It's cheap. Only $99.

2) The 3 Single coils will help you develop your ear because of the different tones you can get from 5-way switching.

3) It's got a trem that you can learn goofy trem-crap on .

4) It plugs into your computer and runs off of amp modeling software so you don't have to waste money on a crappy amp that you'll want to get rid of later on.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
do NOT go with a starter pack!!!!

when i first started, i had a 15w CRATE with a Ibanez Geo.
i got good with that and than slowly worked my way to what i have now.
For a first guitar, depending on what you like to play, the epiphone G-400 is a great guitar. i have one in my collection and it has been a great guitar to learn on.
Quote by Danno13
Why would you recommend a beginner a seven string??

Anyway, I'll second the Yamaha 112, the Epi G400, and the Ibanez RG321mh are all good starter/intermediate guitars, especially with upgrades later on.

that's not a seven string...

someone doesn't know how to count
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Huh. I moused over the link, and got "Ibanez RG7321-7stringelectricguitar".

But when I click on it, it's the IJS pack.

Trickery! Trickery! Trickery!
Epi G-400 is a good playing guitar with good body wood (solid mahogany). With upgrades (electronics + pups, possibly bridge/tuners), it can sound pretty exceptional for the price. The guy who runs a small guitar shop near me had a Gibson SG, but it kept breaking so he sold it and bought one of the Epis.

Which has never broken or messed up in about the same time (as the gibson) he's had it.

I also think it'd suit your styles pretty well.

For the amp, i'd recommend an Epiphone Valve Junior if you're willing to spend on pedals to make it more versatile/add to your tonal range, or a VOX AD30VT if you don't :]
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Danno13

Anyway, I'll second the Yamaha 112, the Epi G400, and the Ibanez RG321mh are all good starter/intermediate guitars, especially with upgrades later on.

It's a six string. Count the tuners.
^^^we've been through that already^^^
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
They're are too types of noobies, equipment noobs and playing noobs.

You're both.

For you I'd recomend a Squier '51, they are cheap, and plus the bridge pickup, has a coil split, so you can decide if you like the sound of humbuckers or single coils better.
Last edited by Guitargod12345 at Feb 6, 2007,
Quote by Danno13

I second the Yamaha 112. I started and am still playing (for now at least) a Pacifica 012 and while it's clearly a beginner's guitar it offers a lot of versatility. The fact you can switch between a bridge humbucker for a meatier sound (think hard rock / metal) and a single coil neck pickup for mellower things (think blues) allows you to really experiment a lot as a beginner. I found that very helpful. After playing with that a while you will probably have a pretty good idea of where you want to go with your playing, in terms of style, and what type of advanced guitar would fit you better.

And I would recommend against the MG10CD. I started with that. Horrendous. I upgraded to a Vox pathfinder 15R (much better cleans, decent distortion but lacking in the high gain stuff, IMO) and am awaiting the arrival of my cube 30x. Try out the amps if you can do determine what you want, but in the name of all things holy don't buy the MG10CD.
^ yeh, the pathfinder actually has some decent tones in it for a ss practice amp, just they're very much on the vintage side of things- the distortion on it is pretty poor. Try to make it much heavier than ac/dc and the tone just gets really harsh.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow, thanks for all those options.
I didn't want to walk into any guitar shops and ask the sales people's opinion because although there might some legit ones there, actually wanting to help, the others might be trying to just palm off any old guitar to me

I'll definetly look into all those guitars and amps.

Oh...
and I'm a girl..not that that makes any difference lol..haha and I think I should follow that up with 'I'm not one of those crazed groupie-type girls', never was and since I'm 22yr I think any risk has passed lol...I've just been seeing alot of those lately for some reason, and when you mention you're a girl occassionally people tend to slip you into that category..not saying you will, but just to be sure

Thanks again
Oh and my budget would be about $600-$700, thats the guitar as well as the amp. Low end priced amps are in the $150-250's aren't they?
I was checking out allans music (music store in australia) and they pretty much have everything that's been suggested here so I'll look into those.

*Oh and thats all in australian dollars*
roland microcube and (from what I hear) vox da5 are two very nice practice amps, at a good price. modellers, so they'll give you a wide range of tones to experiment with.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Personally, pick up a Schecter C1 Artist from MF with a Vox AD30VT (I think that was what the guy mentioned up there^^). $500 for the guitar, 5 way, SD humbuckers, great sound, and plays well. I've got a Blackjack, but the Artist looks so much cleaner.
Quote by DisplacedLogic
Personally, pick up a Schecter C1 Artist from MF with a Vox AD30VT (I think that was what the guy mentioned up there^^). $500 for the guitar, 5 way, SD humbuckers, great sound, and plays well. I've got a Blackjack, but the Artist looks so much cleaner.

It's Aussie dollars so that's no good, the Schecter alone is around $1,500.

TS If you like the Epi G-400 @ $600 then you're only going to leave yourself with enough for a small amp which I reckon you had planned on anyway. The Epi is probably worth keeping later on though so just needing to upgrade your amp if you decide you're going to get into it. Having said that you're not leaving much for an amp and wont get anything great for $100 or so.

The Vox AD15VT is over budget so maybe a Vox DA5, Roland Micro Cube or a Cube 15 will get you started. Still gonna set you back about $800 all up though.
i didn't want to believe it myself.. but the vox ad5 is better than the microcube. I thought it couldn't be better than a cube.. but it was.

Only bad side is if you wanna run it off batteries you need to use 6 x C size or something. Whereas the microcube lets you use 6 x AA rechargeable batteries.