hello, im rather new when it comes to guitar parts and guitars in general. i was just wondering, i have a squire se-100 and i dont have alot of money to go out and get a new guitar. are there any changes i can make to get a more punk sound (blink-182, greenday, sum41...)? any help would be appreciated.
What amp do you have? Do you have any effects pedals?

A change in tone on a guitar can only really be brought about by a change in pickups, unless you fancy changing the body and rewiring!

You'd be much better suited to getting an effects pedal. I always reccomend Multi FX for young/new players. They don't notice that they're not as good (in most peoples opinion) as normal effects and yet there's so much variety it lets you discover the tones/sounds you want.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/zoom-g2/67877

That's a nifty little gadget for the price.
Probably be best getting a new amp that has a decent overdrive setting. Rather than upgrading your guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If you wanna sound like Blink, I can only question why? But to help you, Tom Delonge used a Seymour Duncan "Invader" pickup in the bridge of his Fender. Installing one would get you a step forward on achievinga similar tone
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
If you wanna sound like Blink, I can only question why? But to help you, Tom Delonge used a Seymour Duncan "Invader" pickup in the bridge of his Fender. Installing one would get you a step forward on achievinga similar tone

Yeah but that pickup costs more than his guitar! As well as the mods to the scratch plate, or buying a new one it would need to house a humbucker.

I presume there's no extra routing needed, I've never but a humbucker in a strat...

Yeah, don't bother doing this, it will be a waste of money, you'd be much better off getting a multi effects pedal and putting the rest away for a new guitar/amp in future.

I do agree though... Why!!?
Quote by ValoRhoads

well not necessarily Blink.. just punk in general
well not necessarily Blink.. just punk in general

Bridge pickup, ovedrive-type distortion, lots of mids and treble, no reverb.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Changing pickups doesn't always help, either. Some pickups just don't work well with cheap wood. Prime example: I bought an LTD Les Paul style guitar used that had the Seymour Duncan JB/JAZZ set in it...the holy grail of pickups. They sounded OK, but I thought either the pickups were bad or whatever but they just didn't sound like they were supposed to.
Short story long, I took them out and had them installed in my 16 year old Epiphone Flying V that's neck-thru and made of solid mahogany and has been sitting around aging. This guitar has NEVER sounded this good!! Now it's become my second in command...over a Les Paul Special.