First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't really think it fitted in any of the others.

I'm a bassist, but I've always loved the idea of playing drums because.. honestly I just find it more fun to do.

I don't have any money at the moment but I will save up for a starter kit, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice. Should I take it up? What should I spend my money on and if there are any websites like this one but for drums. UltimateDrums.com?

Cheers for any help, I promise I'll still play guitar too! And sorry again.

EDIT: I don't know if this is useless info, but I live in the UK, so UK sites/shops would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by JamMan* at Feb 6, 2007,
Yeah, a starter 5-piece set will get you where you want to go. I recommend something like Tama, Mapex, or Pacific. SteveWeissMusic.com has some great prices (and being an all-percussion company, you'll find everything you need.)

Hope this helps.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

you could try to get a decent pearl drum kit with just 1 cymbal, 3 toms, a snare, high hat and bass drum, and then get lessons. as far as i know there arnt many good instrument websites for anything other than guitar

good luck with playing drums though
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Cheers for those guys, is drum sheet music any different to guitar? The only things I know how to play have been tought to me by friends on the spot.
Quote by JamMan*
Cheers for those guys, is drum sheet music any different to guitar? The only things I know how to play have been tought to me by friends on the spot.

It's pretty much the same actually, except for the notes on the staff correspond to different areas of the drum kit. The musical notation is the same, with note durations and noteheads, except that cymbals are notated with 'x' noteheads.

Last edited by Sanctus Ignis at Feb 6, 2007,
That's what I thought.

How about Tablature? Shit, I really don't know what I've gotten myself into.
There are tabs, yes, but they're often ambiguous and hard to read. Also, they're often wrong, haha.

Fair enough dude, I get discount at my music shop 'cos my mate owns it so buying sheet music will be easy and cheap.

Looking forward to it now!

Cheers everyone!
Good luck with playing drums, man! Let me know if you need help with anything!

Bump anyone?

I just had an idea for when I get a band, if I were to buy an electric kit, could i connect it to like.. a guitar amp? Are there ready mad amps for that kinda thing?
Quote by JamMan*
Bump anyone?

I just had an idea for when I get a band, if I were to buy an electric kit, could i connect it to like.. a guitar amp? Are there ready mad amps for that kinda thing?

Unless you spend 1500 dollars, you aren't going to get a decent electronic kit. Acoustic is the way to go. Also, this is what drum tab looks like:

HO ------o--------
HH x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
SN ----o-------o--o
BD o-o-----o-o-----

This is a basic drum beat
Last edited by Turd_Ferguson at Feb 7, 2007,
Cheers for the help.

I would prefer an acoustic, I just thought that that might be a cool idea.
my first kit was a mapex m series with a custom snare. it's gorgeous.

i'd recommend going second hand. you'll be able to get a better kit for moreorless similar cash, make sure you check it out first though.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
Quote by JamMan*
Cheers for the help.

I would prefer an acoustic, I just thought that that might be a cool idea.

Presumably if you connected up a lead from the port on the kit that was intended for headphones then yeah, it'd be possible.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
a good site for drums is http://www.onlinedrummer.com/.

its like UG but for drums. There is a forum section as well.

i play, its great fun.
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... But a true friend will be
sitting next to you saying "Damn... we screwed up!"

Quote by Muppet
OMGLOLZORZ!!!!!1111oneoneone

You are SO funny, I can't believe it!

[/sarc. off]
Quote by JamMan*
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't really think it fitted in any of the others.

I'm a bassist, but I've always loved the idea of playing drums because.. honestly I just find it more fun to do.

I don't have any money at the moment but I will save up for a starter kit, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice. Should I take it up? What should I spend my money on and if there are any websites like this one but for drums. UltimateDrums.com?

Cheers for any help, I promise I'll still play guitar too! And sorry again.

EDIT: I don't know if this is useless info, but I live in the UK, so UK sites/shops would be greatly appreciated.

You also should look into electric drums, im playing an E-kit now and am getting a Roland TD12 module for it soon.

vdrums.com is a great site on e-drums
you can change kits like like the real ones with the Roland TD modules and they are quiet

I suggest a Roland TD6V module with one of their TD6 kits to start out
Quote by JamMan*
Bump anyone?

electric drums need a keyboard/PA type amp like the KX1200 120W amp or the KX3000FX 300W amp

e-drums are pricey at this time but Roland seems to have the best units out there

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/perc/navigation/rok-sak-electronic-drumsets?N=100001+304772+201006&page=1

the TD3SW is ok for home use...same with the TD-6SW but if you want to play live i would not get anything under an expanded TD10 kit

the TD10 modules are not made anymore so you would have to hunt ebay looking for a good deal watching out for scams. the TD12 is the best priced unit out there today for live use but most go for the TD20

in the end it comes down to money...if you dont have at least $2,000 spending money for e-drums dont bother getting them

I spent $900 on my first e-drums building them myself and then after time I added a new module taking out the Alesis D4 and now im up to about $1,500 on the kit which looks better than the low priced Roland units

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/moody07747/Completed%20Projects/E-Drums/

Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 7, 2007,