Has anyone else broken a whammy bar inside the tremolo before?
I did in my old guitar, but I was a reatard then (4 years ago) and the store had put in a block of wood to keep it in tune.
So has this happened to you?
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
No, that would suck.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I got a new guitar last year, and I checked for a block of wood. No broken whammy bar yet!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
mine broke twice
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
The very first day I got my very first crappy Squier guitar, I didn't have a clue what I was doing and just kept turning the bar round and then finally it snapped and I was like...ok then...wasn't going to use that anyway...
I broke basically every part of my squier, between recessed knobs, cracked pickups, and burn marks, a broken whammy is nothing.
Dickless.
How do I fix one who's broken inside the hole?=S I was just looking for a thread with any help, and I think I'll just ask in here.. I have an SX Standard guitar.. haha, just bought it from a friend for 15 euro..=P He was crazy, but the bar is broken, any help please?=)
Quote by DaRs
How do I fix one who's broken inside the hole?=S I was just looking for a thread with any help, and I think I'll just ask in here.. I have an SX Standard guitar.. haha, just bought it from a friend for 15 euro..=P He was crazy, but the bar is broken, any help please?=)

The way you would do it, say if your tremolo block is so unique that there is no other replacement possible, is to drill a hole in what's left of the whammy bar, screw in that hole a special smaller, harder screw with a special head. Using a special screwdriver that fits the special head, unscrew the special screw. The special screw should lock in what's left of the whammy bar, forcing it to unscrew.

Considering a replacement tremolo can be found on ebay at roughly 20 euros, and that this kind of exceptional tooling costs roughly ten times the price of the replacement tremolo, maybe you would try a last brute force method before looking for a replacement trem block.

If you have free access to an electrical welding station, the idea would be to electrically weld some low temp alloy on a bar with the same diameter as the whammy bar, and then use that bar as an electrode and weld it on the broken piece in the block. The risk of course is that the some of the alloy or even the broken piece become welded inside the block, to the block itself.

Finally, check out your mechanic buddies working in garages. If you go to a pro you don't know, don't expect him to look in your problem without doshing out. 20 euros should get you 10-15 minutes time from a pro mechanic.
Quote by ColdGin
The way you would do it, say if your tremolo block is so unique that there is no other replacement possible, is to drill a hole in what's left of the whammy bar, screw in that hole a special smaller, harder screw with a special head. Using a special screwdriver that fits the special head, unscrew the special screw. The special screw should lock in what's left of the whammy bar, forcing it to unscrew.

Considering a replacement tremolo can be found on ebay at roughly 20 euros, and that this kind of exceptional tooling costs roughly ten times the price of the replacement tremolo, maybe you would try a last brute force method before looking for a replacement trem block.

If you have free access to an electrical welding station, the idea would be to electrically weld some low temp alloy on a bar with the same diameter as the whammy bar, and then use that bar as an electrode and weld it on the broken piece in the block. The risk of course is that the some of the alloy or even the broken piece become welded inside the block, to the block itself.

Finally, check out your mechanic buddies working in garages. If you go to a pro you don't know, don't expect him to look in your problem without doshing out. 20 euros should get you 10-15 minutes time from a pro mechanic.

wow, that's smart!=) thanks really man.. I think I'll go for the first tip..=)
you can do a search here for broken whammy bars.
One method that's easy is to use epoxy.
Dab some on one end, then connect it, wait for a moment, then carefully unscrew the bar.

Don't get any on the threads though.
Quote by Invictious
you can do a search here for broken whammy bars.
One method that's easy is to use epoxy.
Dab some on one end, then connect it, wait for a moment, then carefully unscrew the bar.

Don't get any on the threads though.

Tried this with poor results.
Just imagine the strength needed to *break* a whammy bar.
Some trems on some of the older Ibanez's were prone to this happening, if you didnt lock the bar in correctly it would snap.... The way you had to get them out was take the entire tremelo out..... Why do you think i hate floyd roses...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I honestly think you must be absolutely retarded to have a trem arm snap with a working trem. I can imagine the OPs case, where the trem was blocked but he didn't know (though I still would think something's up if it doesn't move at all), but with a working trem, I seriously don't understand how you could break the arm.
I've been thinking for someone who might be asked to regularly "unscrew" broken whammy bar threads, I think the thinnest bar, the vintage strats, is about 4.8 mm , roughly 3/16", or 6/32".

Listed below is a link to a screw extractor.
The table shows that a for a screw between 4 and 6mm, the right drill size to use would be the 7/64".

Screw Extraction Howto With Pictures !

On Ebay, I found a screw extraction set for less than 20 euros, provided you already have a T-handle, drilling machine, and drill of the right size for the driver hole.
Screw extraction set on Ebay
Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 8, 2007,
Quote by Jaffaps2
The very first day I got my very first crappy Squier guitar, I didn't have a clue what I was doing and just kept turning the bar round and then finally it snapped and I was like...ok then...wasn't going to use that anyway...

I did the same excact thing with mine. But now i grauted to a gibson les pual
My gear
-----------------------------------------------------------
GIBSON LES PUAL STUDIO
MARSHALL 30MGDFX

other guitars
-WASHBURN ACCOUSTIC
-IBANEZ GSA 60
-BENTLY SERIS 10
I broke my whammy bar on my floyd rose in my ltd 2 weeks ago the bars still on order early next week they keep saying and I want to sell it.