Hey, I've been looking for a good 5-string bass in the mid-price class. I'm willing to use 1000-1500 dollars, maybe a LITTLE more if I have to. So: Any good basses to that kind of money? I play mainly rock/metal. Sound is highest priority, but looks also matters (this could be a bit subjective) Recommendations are truly appriciated !! TNX!!
member #7 of the "i remember when pokemon used to be cool" club.
Pm rhcp_freak or Tanglewoodguit to join.

Quote by tronsbassplayer
you no your a bassplayer when you Llsten to the best muslc NUMETAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lol'ed SOOOOO hard at that one!!!
Last edited by enzoslashslash at Feb 6, 2007,
My band was playing a gig the other day, and one of the other bassists had a really nice fiver. I can't remember the price (I think it was around £600) or the exact model but I do know it was a Hohner and it had the thinnest neck I've even actually seen on a fiver. It was the same thickness as my Stingray's four string neck!! His action was appalling but the bass was really nice - sounded brilliant too. If anyone can clarify whihc bass I was noodling on I think that might be a good one for you.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
i just bought the ibanez srx 305 and its a great instrument for less money. i paid 390 € and i am so happy with it. read the review on this site, everything is true. i know you planned to buy a more expensive bass but i just liked to give you this advise cause u can save money or even spend it for a new amp or stuff

just read the review ;-)

Peace
Nice, everyone, wouldn't mind if you keep tp good recommendations coming

I have been thinking along the lines of Warwick, they seem really, really nice, and I get the impression they give lots for the money. But could they be overrated? Probably not, since they come at quite meaty prices, and have a good reputation. And of course, Fender is something I have considered. If there's one brand that is really reliable, it's gotta be fender But; I'll make sure I'm satisfied with playability as well before I buy anything.

So keep the tips coming! Cheers!

Quote by tronsbassplayer
you no your a bassplayer when you Llsten to the best muslc NUMETAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say fender or Yamaha definitely, or maybe ibanez
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Fender has a nice active Deluxe series 5-string. American 5-strings are nice too, just passive. American Deluxes (I have one, they aren't cheap) is the best bass I have ever played.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Schecter makes good instruments, I played all of the Diamond series basses at a guitar store and they all play well and sound awesome, especially the Stiletto Studio. And good prices, $500-650. EMG's are stock, which is always good.
if you want to use your budget to a max, get a washburn XB925, i have one, its great, i did a BOTM about it, you can read it here
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470138&highlight=washburn+XB925

new, they are about 1500 dollars. well worth it IMO.
if you dont want to spend that much, then probably a SR505, or a SR1005. both by ibanez
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Check out the Fender American Series Jazz Bass V. They are awesome. Also check out some customs. Or maybe look at some luthiers around were you live. I'm not sure of the conversion of Norweigen to American USD. The ideas are based off of a 1:1 ratio, which I'm sure is nowhere close. Ernie Ball Music Man's are awesome too.
i recomend getting a rickenbacher, unfortunitially i dont think they carry a 5 string. i have a fender fiver its great but the fret board is like 5 feet wide. but i got used to it and i <3 it
Quote by Heartika
i recomend getting a rickenbacher, unfortunitially i dont think they carry a 5 string. i have a fender fiver its great but the fret board is like 5 feet wide. but i got used to it and i <3 it

Yeah, that is true... BUT keep in mind string spacing is more important than neck width. A 5-string Fender's string spacing is narrower than any 4-string.

That is, unless you have an American Deluxe, in that case, you can change the string spacing to whatever you want.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i recomend my bass. it has a very pro sound. crisp, tight and very versitle comes with the REAL deal EMGs (well .. Hz's are real too they are just passive and active EMGs are really where it's at) and EMG Eq and grover tuners and the most hardcore Bstyle bridge ive ever seen.

ESP B-405

it's neck thru too!

well you never r eally said what you wanted out of youre bass but this bass is defenently as good ( i think better ) than the other basses mentioned perfect for metal, rock, well anything. i use it for metal, motown, rock jazz and funk all out of one bass. the neck rivals the playabillity of a ibanez SR series not quiete as narrow but i think that is a good thing

you never said what style you want to play btw
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
oh ok i see warwick is more up youre alley. think you should check in to ESP too. if you are going to get a warwick i subjest a corvette $$ but i think they are out of youre price range.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Schecter Elite-5 in Black Cherry. It has sound, looks, playability, and its probably the most inexpensive bass mentioned yet, so you could have money left over. I (of course) highly recommend any Schcecter, and those of the Elite variety are at the top of my list. I play an Elite-4 myself, and I have played another bass I liked more, and I've played a LOT of basses. Between the EMG-HZs (with 2-band active EQ), neck-through construction and the S-tek bridge (it and the badass II are in my book as the two most stable bridges in existance) and you have a great bass. Its got a particularly thin neck (all Stilettos do) but its still got enough string spacing to play comfortably. Its also got a figured maple top with a sexy finish. What more could you want? Besides, if you're only putting $600+tax on a bass, you could use the other $400-$900 for a new amp, or some efefcts, or even a second bass (studio fretless comes to mind )

Elite-5 on MF

For a pic of the color
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Heartika

Actually, Rickenbacker did make some 5-string 4003s in the 80's, but they're really rare.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
i recomend my bass. it has a very pro sound. crisp, tight and very versitle comes with the REAL deal EMGs (well .. Hz's are real too they are just passive and active EMGs are really where it's at) and EMG Eq and grover tuners and the most hardcore Bstyle bridge ive ever seen.

ESP B-405

it's neck thru too!

well you never r eally said what you wanted out of youre bass but this bass is defenently as good ( i think better ) than the other basses mentioned perfect for metal, rock, well anything. i use it for metal, motown, rock jazz and funk all out of one bass. the neck rivals the playabillity of a ibanez SR series not quiete as narrow but i think that is a good thing

you never said what style you want to play btw

Yes, I did. I said rock/metal, but would also wish some versatility (but that usually comes with most basses). But thanks for your commitment, the ESP looks nice *taken into consideration*

Edit: everyone, keep it coming! I'm appriciating your contribution in helping me deicide which bass is good for me

Quote by tronsbassplayer

Last edited by Man-bitch at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by Charlatan_001
Actually, Rickenbacker did make some 5-string 4003s in the 80's, but they're really rare.

If you check their site, Rick still makes a 5-sting. However, the 5-string they have now is basically a Fender Jazz bass with a Rickenbacker shape.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Warwick $$, I played it when looking at new basses, I wasn't going for a 5-string but it nearly changed my mind.
Musicman Bongo 5-string, lovely to play and gives an amazing sound, very comftable aswell, although I found the feel and sound and feel slightly synthetic for my liking.
So my faveroute would be $$, but both are wonderful instraments and it depends on which you prefer tone/feel of.
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive