Hi folks,

First and foremost, apologies if i have posted this in the wrong place, i'm new here!

I have a yamaha AES820 Drop 6 guitar, tuned (low to high) B E A D F# B, with a string set of .064, .048, .036, .024, .016, .011.

I would like to re-tune my guitar from its current B-tuning to C#-F#-B-E-G#-C# (with the intention of playing it in this tuning and dropping it down to B-F#-B-E-G#-C#) and was wondering what gauge strings i would need to use in order to do this.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
You use really heavy strings... I tune to D Standard with .009-.045 strings, but it's only because I tuned at E Standard before and .009 is the guage I prefer for that tuning...

For C# Standard you are gonna want some .011's I think...Especially since you want to drop the C# to a B. If you are feeling adventurous you could use some 12's, but the thing is that those are pretty thick if you ever want (for any reason) to play at Standard tuning. Wheras with the elevens you can play anything from Drop B to E Standard with relative ease.

Instrumedit: Oh, and this should go to the Electric Guitar forum, this forum is for n00b questions about the UG forums.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Instrumental,

Thanks for the reply. If i put 11's on, will it not have an adverse effect on the neck of my guitar seeing as the 6th string is going from .064 to .050 (and the gauge for the rest of the strings is lighter)?

Thanks again (and sorry again for posting in the wrong forum! I saw guitar-specific threads and thought it would be the safest place to post )
Feck, I didn't look close enough to see that you already have 11's

You might want to try some Zakk Wylde boomers, those are REALLY heavy, or you could mix and match...TBH, I've never seen a set of .011-.064s before, which leads me to believe you may have already mixed it up a bit.

The bottom line is you are gonna want to get a lighter 6th string. As long as the neck can support the heaviest string, the rest are fine, no matter what guage. I meant that you are gonna want to keep a .011 for the high C# for sure, but maybe drop the low C# to a .060, or somewhere around that.
Get baked, study theory.

Yeah, the string gauges are a little messed up, but it came from the factory like this, which, when it came to restringing it, struck me as a little bizarre!

Just had a look at the Zakk Wylde boomers, and they look good, the only thing that concerns me is the 1st e is .10 instead of .11 (10, 13, 17, 36, 52, 60). The low-boomers are 11, 14, 18, 36, 52, 70.

Saw another set that might be appropriate. GHS Low Tune 11-58 at 11, 15, 19, 28, 38, 58. Still a way off for the mid strings, but the 1st 2 and last string is in the right vacinity.

Which would do the job better?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
I would go with the Zakk Low boomers, just be sure that the .70 doesn't crack your nut :]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Those GHS Low Tunes look like they would fit the bill pretty well. I'd go with them, but get a 45 and a 35 to replace the 38 and 28, for added thickness with drop tuning.
Get baked, study theory.

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Think i'll give the GMS Low Tune's a try, like you suggested Instrumental, and go from there.

Thanks again, i really appreciate it.

Andy
No problem dude, hope it works for you.
Get baked, study theory.