Page 1 of 2
a friend of mine is to be the lead guitarist in the band im in [im a bassist] but she doesnt know how to make punk lead riffs [like social distortion - dont drag me down and anti-flag - tearing everyone down]
Punk leads in bands like htose are basically power chords really, and the solos arent hard to do, just tell her to do what she does for solos and powerchord it up for other parts.
put her on bass
and you do it.
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by thyowen
a friend of mine is to be the lead guitarist in the band im in [im a bassist] but she doesnt know how to make punk lead riffs [like social distortion - dont drag me down and anti-flag - tearing everyone down]

Then why is she the lead guitarist? I'm not sure if this thread has a point...
Quote by Dæmönika
When I became ill last week, I had to make a critlist for people who came in and looked at my songs. Now, I've decided to make a cuntlist for The Pit. Starting with this thread. So far I have:

atreyu+a7xfan
Sailor Jerry
Dimebag22
Bobthemonkey14
give her some cds tell her " sit, listen, learn. "

Thats probobly the only way its gonna get done.
New Demos (Oct. 11)

Dropoutoflifewithbonginhand
followthesmoke
towardtherifffilledland

Gear:
Vantage Mystery model Electric Guitar
Peavy TNT 115 Mid 80's model USA
Russian Big Muff
Ibanez 5 string
just tell her to play songs like those and she should be able to figer it out... Tell her to pratices some scales (panotonic cause its pretty simple) to get use to stretching fingers.
Tell her to listen to a song, then get a backing track to that song and improv leads over it...she should be feeling the groove soon enough, also helps if she knows how to play somewhat by ear as she'd better able to transpose your thoughts better to the fretboard
Teach her to unison bend, that's an importantaspect of soloing in punk songs. Combine that with a basic penatonic and voila. I reccomend the riffs from Search and Destroy by the Stooges, and Amoeba by the Adolescents.
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
thanks alot you guys who werent complete arseholes
help is appreciated

Quote by Off-The-Heazay
put her on bass
and you do it.

i was thinking of that buy shes really small and buying another bass would just cost alot of money

those of you who say why she is on lead, its cos she can play lead but she cant seem to get it that punky sounding
plus shes the only guitarist in our area who isnt an egoistical maniac
Last edited by thyowen at Feb 6, 2007,
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
Tell her to pratices some scales (panotonic cause its pretty simple)

What??? Is that a new scale?

I gotta learn it, can you tab it out for me? How many notes are in that scale?
Quote by thyowen
help is appreciated

i was thinking of that buy shes really small and buying another bass would just cost alot of money

those of you who say why she is on lead, its cos she can play lead but she cant seem to get it that punky sounding
plus shes the only guitarist in our area who isnt an egoistical maniac

Amen, I've been searching forever to find a rythym guitarist isn't an asshole. I'm not ego-tistical because I'll never call myself good at guitar. But everybody makes an ass of themself every now and then. Good luck I hope your friend gets it all down soon.
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
You play lead, get her to play bass.

Or teach her to do good leads?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Punk music in reallity doesn't have leads or solos. Punk is bands like greenday.

Tell her to switch over to classic rock and 80's metal (not hair metal).
Green Day aren't punk, man. They're pop, no matter how much hair gel they use, or how many times they vote Democrat.

Threadstarter- what's it matter if she's little? If she can reach the frets on a guitar, she can reach 'em on a bass.
Quote by Guitargod12345
Punk music in reallity doesn't have leads or solos. Punk is bands like greenday.

Tell her to switch over to classic rock and 80's metal (not hair metal).

Riiiiiiiiiight, because The Clash weren't punk. And neither were the Sex Pistols......

+1 to Danno.
Quote by Danno13
Green Day aren't punk, man. They're pop, no matter how much hair gel they use, or how many times they vote Democrat.

Threadstarter- what's it matter if she's little? If she can reach the frets on a guitar, she can reach 'em on a bass.

Quick to defend them.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Riiiiiiiiiight, because The Clash weren't punk. And neither were the Sex Pistols......

+1 to Danno.

Who cares about those bands.
WHy the hell have you got a lead guitarist who can't play lead for your style?

Well, guess you might as well teach her. Get her to look at some Greenday, etc, and look at the style of their solo's (Even though IMO, they're all lame...).
Quote by Guitargod12345
Who cares about those bands.

Christ, you're an idiot.

You failed to understood Danno's post, and you have no appreciation for bands that helped define an era and shape music as we know it, not to mention assisted in creating a major socio-political movement in the late 70's/early 80's, regardless of whether you like them or not.

And to insinuate that no-one likes them?
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Christ, you're an idiot.

You failed to understood Danno's post, and you have no appreciation for bands that helped define an era and shape music as we know it, not to mention assisted in creating a major socio-political movement in the late 70's/early 80's, regardless of whether you like them or not.

And to insinuate that no-one likes them?

The late 70's and Early 80's were defined, by Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Ac/dc, Ted Nugent and other Hard Rock, and Metal Bands, they are who defined they 80's the 90's and modern day. Punk was just there at the time, with no reasonable purpose.
Just Metal and Hard Rock? No New Wave, no Dance, no Grunge, No Punk, no (now) Classic Rock, no Hip Hop, no Rap, no Alt.Rock, no Pop? I could go on, but i think the point gets across. You are very closed minded.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Just Metal and Hard Rock? No New Wave, no Dance, no Grunge, No Punk, no (now) Classic Rock, no Hip Hop, no Rap, no Alt.Rock, no Pop? I could go on, but i think the point gets across. You are very closed minded.

All the other stuff you defined are just societies attempt to make an alternative for real music.

Grunge is a Hard Rock Sub Genre.

Hip Hop is the same as playing your guitar through a subwoofer and only playing one note.

70's Hard Rock is an Example of Classic Rock.

Alt. Rock is just some dudes who sound like a chicks singing.

Pop is for democrats.
Dance is a waste of time.
New wave has no use.
Quote by Pacifica112J
The Sex Pistols own your ass.

Now be quiet.

Sorry I don't let them spoon me like you let them spoon you.
for quick n easy punk rock leads/solos, just play the vocal melody and add bits here and there

listen to greenday's american idiot vocal melody, and then the solo, pretty similar
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Punk leads in bands like htose are basically power chords really, and the solos arent hard to do, just tell her to do what she does for solos and powerchord it up for other parts.

Barr chords, if your talking real punk hun. The solos can be fairly hard. Some punk guitarist are actually pretty decent (Que East Bay Ray)

And Guitargod, we wouldn't have most modern rock, grunge, alt., or indead modern metal or medern clasic rock with out punk. Most music now has punk influence, just like punk took influence from all over. Ever heard the Dead Kennedys? Jazz all over the music.

In other words, your acting like a music nazi. And Nazi's need to **** off.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by thyowen
help is appreciated

You kind of had it coming to you. I mean to be perfectly honest did you expect us to just read your mind as to what the hell you are asking for? You should have included some sort of question in your post if you wanted an answer. Otherwise you're just making a statement that no one really cares about. Obviously it can be assumed your asking for help, but sometimes you have to just come out and literally ask it, because what is obvious to you is not obvious to others.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Quote by Guitargod12345
All the other stuff you defined are just societies attempt to make an alternative for real music.

Real Music? There is no real music. Everyone has opinions and have different tastes but the stupid elitists like you who think what you like is the norm seriously need to stop being arseholes.
Guitargod, can you make us a list of bands that we should be listening to? I wouldn't want to waste my time listening to music that wasn't legitimate. I'm writing this all down. Let's see, punk is bands like Greenday and it sucks. 80's metal is good. No one cares about the Clash. Pop is for Democrats. By the way, what should I be listening to as a good Republican? Thanks for setting us all straight.

TS, the scale referred to earlier is the pentatonic, not panotonic. It's also called the blues scale and is the most common scale in rock music. I'm not going to tab it out here, you shouldn't have a hard time googling it.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Guitargod, can you make us a list of bands that we should be listening to? I wouldn't want to waste my time listening to music that wasn't legitimate. I'm writing this all down. Let's see, punk is bands like Greenday and it sucks. 80's metal is good. No one cares about the Clash. Pop is for Democrats. By the way, what should I be listening to as a good Republican? Thanks for setting us all straight.

TS, the scale referred to earlier is the pentatonic, not panotonic. It's also called the blues scale and is the most common scale in rock music. I'm not going to tab it out here, you shouldn't have a hard time googling it.

Ignore what he said about scales. ITs wrong. Theres the Penatonic, then theres the Blues scale. Its the pentatonic with an added fifth, if im not mistaken.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.

This thread is funny.

Anyways, threadstarter, get your lead guitarist to practice playing punk leads. Pretty obvious, imo.

I suggest getting her to learn some Living End.
Quote by zekk
Ignore what he said about scales. ITs wrong. Theres the Penatonic, then theres the Blues scale. Its the pentatonic with an added fifth, if im not mistaken.

Actually that's right, the blues scale is a minor pentatonic with an added note. It's definitely not a "new" one though.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
The Clash is a good place to go. There's some cool punk solo's to learn there. Tell her to learn a bunch of Clash songs then work from there.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Page 1 of 2