Page 1 of 6
Well the old one was kind of long, and a lot of the issues had been discussed a lot. So here's a brand new one, empty as of yet.

Basically, for all S+L users, if you have any suggestions, comments, ideas for this forum, please post it up here. Or alternatively you can PM me about it, but here in this thread we (all S&L users) can discuss any points raised.

Before we start I'd just like to address previous ideas:

1. The song limit will not be raised to three per week. Sorry.
2. WOTM stays as it is for the time being.
3. WOTY is dead.

That's all I can think of right now
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Apr 16, 2007,
Are we gonna have a WOTY or have has it already been dismissed?

Also about the 1vs1 rules saying that we can only face people in our tier, that doesn't work out to well in the beginning. I think there should be a pre-season where you can face anyone from any tier, then when pre-seasons over you can only face people from your tier. So you'll be pitted against people as good as you, and if you preyed off lower writers to earn points, then your stuck in a higher tier until you lose enough points to drop. But I really do think there should be a pre-season, at least until there's a healthy number of competitors in each tier.
Last edited by stratkat at Feb 6, 2007,
WOTM writer of the moneth
WOTY writer of the year

Strat- I think WOTY would be a bitch to do, over a whole year to still hae all the writers availible etc... I dunno.
I think we should start a sexiest S&L mods poll. All in favour say aiiiii
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Quote by jallas

Do you still count? ;-)

aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Seriously though: I think we should re-instate a 'song of the week' idea or something. I feel like I don't get to read enough pieces here, which is upsetting, but if we get one featured that's stickied, it's a good chance for writers to get exposure.
yea i agree with him, altho it would mean more work and effort, have a song of the week is a good idea in my opinion.so many lyrics are looked at and jsut pasted up, with out being crited, i see alot of lyrics haveing no comments, being lowed into the 2nd and 3rd pages.have a song of the week would allow one persons work to be on the first page for a week, to show off thier great lyrics, and get reconized.
Quote by stratkat
Are we gonna have a WOTY or have has it already been dismissed?

Also about the 1vs1 rules saying that we can only face people in our tier, that doesn't work out to well in the beginning. I think there should be a pre-season where you can face anyone from any tier, then when pre-seasons over you can only face people from your tier. So you'll be pitted against people as good as you, and if you preyed off lower writers to earn points, then your stuck in a higher tier until you lose enough points to drop. But I really do think there should be a pre-season, at least until there's a healthy number of competitors in each tier.

WOTY I'm gonna do beginning of March...it will be for those around for the whole of the last year, elitist I know, but its something extra to have going on, to get people back here.

Yeah I agree with that, although to be honest, if both of you have zero then it doesn't matter, the trouble with a free for all, is you can go from 0 to +3 by stealing someones already hard earned points. At least if you face someone with 0 or minus its not so bad. I know I'd hate for someone without points to take mine right now. So its catch22.

Quote by jallas

Oh com'on no contest. Oh and Corey, that white hair in your avatar really doesn't suit you.

Quote by ragglefraggle
yea i agree with him, altho it would mean more work and effort, have a song of the week is a good idea in my opinion.so many lyrics are looked at and jsut pasted up, with out being crited, i see alot of lyrics haveing no comments, being lowed into the 2nd and 3rd pages.have a song of the week would allow one persons work to be on the first page for a week, to show off thier great lyrics, and get reconized.

Trouble is deciding who...I thought about having the writer of the months pieces stuck, as another incentive to win. I also thought about bringing back my New Writer of the Month, for all the newer users. But there was little interest from the elitist crowd (for want of a better word) Failing that it would be up to the mods to decide a piece a week we feel is deserving of a sticky...any ideas how to decide?

peACE
Quote by The Hurt Within

Trouble is deciding who...I thought about having the writer of the months pieces stuck, as another incentive to win. I also thought about bringing back my New Writer of the Month, for all the newer users. But there was little interest from the elitist crowd (for want of a better word) Failing that it would be up to the mods to decide a piece a week we feel is deserving of a sticky...any ideas how to decide?

peACE

Mods picking up WOTW (Writing of the week) sounds good to me. we trust you, you guys have good tastes. you could split up with pooch every now and then, let's say alternate in between weeks (I've seen himsneaking in S+L lately...). if that wouldn't be too much pressure. I mean, R&R have recording of the week. Why not do the same here?
you could have a few trusted writers recommend pieces (5 people, 1 or 2 each?) to you through PM or whatever and then you yourself sift through them and pick which one to feature (like if one got nominated by 3 people, it'd clearly be the choice, but otherwise it's your discretion).

it's a little extra work for you, but if you're looking for an incentive for more people to post here, i think it is one.

maybe even have the person go through their thought-process of the piece as well, how they wrote it, why. it could be intriguing i think.
^ i like that idea

corey you have good ideas!

was thinking of something along those lines.

to add to the suggestion... i think maybe it would be best if nobody else knew who these "few trusted writers" were... not even amongst themselves.

I don't recall you saying that. But I'm all for it.

Howabout a combination and have it being the newer writers that song of the week or whatever, as most regs pieces get read anyway, say like members joined in 2 months or whatever..
Quote by SilenceEvolves
you could have a few trusted writers recommend pieces (5 people, 1 or 2 each?) to you through PM or whatever and then you yourself sift through them and pick which one to feature (like if one got nominated by 3 people, it'd clearly be the choice, but otherwise it's your discretion).

How about the few trusted writers are changed every so often so we get a more varied selection. If the same group of people choose the songs, they're all going to end up being similar and a chunk of songs will be missed out.
I think people nominating songs every week would be a bit too much trouble. I wouldn't mind Steve/Pooch deciding but oh well. If they don't mind...
Quote by The Hurt Within
Well the old one was kind of long, and a lot of the issues had been discussed a lot. So here's a brand new one, empty as of yet.

Basically, for all S+L users, if you have any suggestions, comments, ideas for this forum, please post it up here. Or alternatively you can PM me about it, but here in this thread we (all S&L users) can discuss any points raised.

Before we start I'd just like to address previous ideas:

1. The song limit will not be raised to three per week. Sorry.
2. WOTM stays as it is for the time being.

That's all I can think of right now
what happened to number three?

AND.

Quote by The Hurt Within
WOTY I'm gonna do beginning of March...it will be for those around for the whole of the last year, elitist I know, but its something extra to have going on, to get people back here.
just out of curiosity, would i count for WOTY like that?
i mean. by no means am i expecting to win it if i did,
but like. would you have to have had pieces posted
through all of last year to qualify for that, or what?

I just want to sleep forever.

Quote by Jammydude44
You need to be the winner of WOTM

I've not actually taken that route, I thought about it, but...to be writer of the year you need more than 12 pieces over the year, (Mar-Mar) and 1 piece per month posted, give or take. As some people were away on holiday, family issues etc, and so may have missed a month. A thread will go up in the near future about it. But if anyone has any ideas regarding how noms should work.

I thought about having each user nominate 3 people. Each person needs 5 noms to make it into the poll. The polls then also will be multiple choice. That way its not a runaway for someone, at least then the more you vote for the less weight your vote carries. Once we have a top 5 when the poll closes, each person will have to write a brand new piece, anonymously, and submit them to a 3rd party. Who shall then post them in a new poll for the dicision to be made. I'm checking something out as a reward for winning this, so I cant say anything yet.

And addressing the SOTW idea (song of the week) I agree a panel will work wonders, one that is changed each month. I shall send out some PMs in the near future to pick the first 5. You do not reveal to anyone you are a "seeker".

Oh and Jamie, the points thread needs updating, it'll easier to see whos in points and whos not, plus theres a few 1v1s finishing soon.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Feb 8, 2007,
WOTW - ?

Anyway writer of the month is based on nominations from your fellow UG members, if they think you're eligible then they will nominate you, the nomination thread normally goes up around 5-10 of each month.
we have WOTM (month) and for the first time, I'm trying to sort out WOTY (year) you're probably thinking of SOTW (song of the week) which is also a new thing. We're gonna have 5 people (who thus far I have selected, next month each of those 5 will select the next 5, and so on) They nominate a piece they think should be stickied to receive extra attention.
Quote by The Hurt Within
I've not actually taken that route, I thought about it, but...to be writer of the year you need more than 12 pieces over the year, (Mar-Mar) and 1 piece per month posted, give or take. As some people were away on holiday, family issues etc, and so may have missed a month. A thread will go up in the near future about it. But if anyone has any ideas regarding how noms should work.

I thought about having each user nominate 3 people. Each person needs 5 noms to make it into the poll. The polls then also will be multiple choice. That way its not a runaway for someone, at least then the more you vote for the less weight your vote carries. Once we have a top 5 when the poll closes, each person will have to write a brand new piece, anonymously, and submit them to a 3rd party. Who shall then post them in a new poll for the dicision to be made. I'm checking something out as a reward for winning this, so I cant say anything yet.

And addressing the SOTW idea (song of the week) I agree a panel will work wonders, one that is changed each month. I shall send out some PMs in the near future to pick the first 5. You do not reveal to anyone you are a "seeker".

Oh and Jamie, the points thread needs updating, it'll easier to see whos in points and whos not, plus theres a few 1v1s finishing soon.

Oh, damn

I'd psot more if I had more time. I'll try and remember to vote though.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
As some people were away on holiday, family issues etc, and so may have missed a month.

Well I liked the idea until I read that, to include that rule just to get a few writers in that you know you want in, but who haven't posted every month because of the above reasons, is kind of favouring certain writers. I think you'll have a hard time finding writers who have posted at least once a month for a whole year, and to get them to right a new piece.

I mean, I just assumed that WOTM would get you entry into WOTY, same as goal of the moneth winners get into goal of the season on match of the day

I still think this WOTY is going to be complex, because alot of people don't stay around for a whole year. I mean, I thought the Grand Championship was there if we were going to have a "master winner" or whatever, and you said that was elitist at the last minute, and I don't see the difference here. The amount of writers who could be entered I think will be so small, and you know that so have already bent your rule to allow in (for want of a better example) #1synth. I don't see how this is any less elitist than the Grand Championship, it's even more so IMO and far more difficult to set up and find writers for and set up.
On another note is there a place where lyrics/poems of other artists can be shared/discussed?

a subforum for this sounds cool to me

sorry if its been discussed already
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Eh, I don't think really here. I guess bands/artists would be the forum. I think the ideas been tossed around but the mods are scared of too much spam and off-topicness.
Quote by Jammydude44
As some people were away on holiday, family issues etc, and so may have missed a month.

Well I liked the idea until I read that, to include that rule just to get a few writers in that you know you want in, but who haven't posted every month because of the above reasons, is kind of favouring certain writers. I think you'll have a hard time finding writers who have posted at least once a month for a whole year, and to get them to right a new piece.

I mean, I just assumed that WOTM would get you entry into WOTY, same as goal of the moneth winners get into goal of the season on match of the day

I still think this WOTY is going to be complex, because alot of people don't stay around for a whole year. I mean, I thought the Grand Championship was there if we were going to have a "master winner" or whatever, and you said that was elitist at the last minute, and I don't see the difference here. The amount of writers who could be entered I think will be so small, and you know that so have already bent your rule to allow in (for want of a better example) #1synth. I don't see how this is any less elitist than the Grand Championship, it's even more so IMO and far more difficult to set up and find writers for and set up.

Yes I seem hypocritical. Hence I see no reason why writer of the month winners should just be allowed in the poll. Theres many a decent writer who has came close but failed. Synth for one....I doubt theres more than 5 people here who have posted one a month for the last year, so once again adjustments had to be made. And you must have misunderstood. I wanted the GC shut down cause it stopped the entire Contest forum for those select 8. The compromise was that it would run in cahoots with SIII beginning. I thought the GC was still going ahead. Well since I'm running the WOTY its my job to get the writers involved. I'm half tempted to have people suggest names, not like a nomination, but have names suggested, I then check out to see if they are eligible, if so, I then PM them to ask if they would like to be involved. This is WOTY, this is about being a consistant writer over a year, it has to be harsh-ish in requirements, but a balance has to be found. No one is getting back to me about this, so I'm tempted to let it die, from lack of effort on the part of everyone. Like most things in this forum. You've only gotta look at some of the others, and the users are dedicated to it. So...
Eh, I just don't thin kit's worth it to have no more than 5 or so writers.

And I would have let the Grand comp go ahead along with S3, but... everyone seems to have disappeared of late. It wasn't worth it, no-ones around.

I just think a year is too big a timespan for an internet forum.

There's gotta be something we can do to try and bring people back, I just don't quite know what.
^ again, I said If the rules were too strict we'd have 5....I reckon we'd have 10 people able to be in a WOTY...as I said I want peoples feedback before I start anything. And I never get it, so fuck ya in short.
just an idea here.... maybe if you had a fallback option then you could get enough in still.

what i was thinking was go with the one piece-per-month thing... but if that falls short then maybe have it so like 25-30 pieces over the whole year could qualify someone too.
Wait, so since Jamie name-dropped me... does that mean I'm WOTY?

And I'm pretty sure I have posted at least a piece every month... unless I didnt in July because I was banned...

But you guys keep quarreling and I'll keep drinking my cool-aide

mmmmm. Cooled Aide.
Or you could...say...sit in the corner and admire the plastering?