i've got an ibanez s1220 prestige and i want to know what exactly is meant to happen when i pull the tone pot up???
Strictly speaking it's a coil split, it bypasses one of the coils of the humbucker to give you a more single coilish sound - a coil tap is slightly different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Strictly speaking it's a coil split, it bypasses one of the coils of the humbucker to give you a more single coilish sound - a coil tap is slightly different.

What's the difference between them? I always though they were the same.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
The coil split is the common one - where you split a humbucker. A coil tap bypasses some of the windings on a coil to reduce the output so is usually only found on single coil pickups...basically there's a second wire that comes off somewhere in the middle of the coil.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The tone pots are usually wired push pull, for the pick ups in series parallel or in phase or out of phase, usually the volume pots are wired for coil splits.
Quote by steven seagull

+1. and it'll still have hum.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
The coil split is the common one - where you split a humbucker. A coil tap bypasses some of the windings on a coil to reduce the output so is usually only found on single coil pickups...basically there's a second wire that comes off somewhere in the middle of the coil.

+1 too.

the guitar manufacturers, for reasons that I can only assume include being retarded, seem to think the terms coil tap and coil split can be used interchangeably, but they're different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?