Okay, so I have a Standard Fender Precision Bass. Ive had it for about a year or so now. But about 3 or 4 months ago, after playing it at my local recording studio, the Screws and Springs on two of the Bridge saddles fell out and i didn't notice until i got home. I went back the next week, asked the owner and couldnt find them. It kinda ****ed up my playing for a bit, as i couldnt really hit the strings too much or the actual metal piece of the saddle would fall off.

So anyway, i search high an low online, to find some repalcements. Not to mention my local guitar shop, which weren't too helpful. I bought a spare set of brand new Fender chrome saddles, about a month later the same happened again. Only this time i found two of the screws (where 3 fell out).

About a month ago i decided to buy some more, but were a different make to Fender, more like replicas, as I thought it might just be my bad luck. They arrived shortly after, and earlier today, the same happened again, and its starting to piss me off...
I mean, i play in standard tuning, with my fingers. I use the flatwound 'Steve Harris signature' strings. My action is moderatley high, but not over the top and I dont strum too hard, or play awkwardly or anything. Its not like im in-experienced (ive been playing 3 1/2 years) but yet the same thing keeps happening to the screws.

Im starting to wonder if its some sort of manufacturing fault, or my bass setup (which doesnt seem out of order as it was fine for the first 6 months or so when i first got the Fender).

Im wondering if my good friend UG could help??
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
Last edited by Demonbreed at Feb 6, 2007,
hmmm, the only reason i can think of would be that the saddle may have been installed incorrectly. it may be worth giving uncle fender a call to see if they know what to do.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
It sounds to me like the screws are just unscrewing themselves out of the saddles. This isn't very common, but it does tend to happen (never seen it on saddles before usually strap buttons/locks). The bass vibrations of your instrument are causing the screws to back out. The only thing I would suggest is to put a touch of glue on your saddles, but that is a TERRIBLE idea.
Quote by elemenohpee
It sounds to me like the screws are just unscrewing themselves out of the saddles. This isn't very common, but it does tend to happen (never seen it on saddles before usually strap buttons/locks). The bass vibrations of your instrument are causing the screws to back out. The only thing I would suggest is to put a touch of glue on your saddles, but that is a TERRIBLE idea.

Yeah i figured. Someone in the pit reccomended "Loctite" adhesive
I would never glue a Guitar of any kind.
Thanks for the advice though
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
If, when you adjust the intonation you don't push forward so that the screws are plush with rear of the bridge it will allow them to vibrate; this usualy happens if you adjust the screws when the strings are under tension.
Just push the screws with a screwdriver.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
If, when you adjust the intonation you don't push forward so that the screws are plush with rear of the bridge it will allow them to vibrate; this usualy happens if you adjust the screws when the strings are under tension.
Just push the screws with a screwdriver.

Push them away from the end of the bridge, so they are not connecting you mean?
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
Set them up right, intonate them, then super glue them in with a thin, watered down, superglue so that it stays in, but you can undo the bind with just a twist of a swrew driver.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Forced In
Could you buy a new bridge? Maybe that would help.

I've been thinking that too....I've heard that Fender's bridges aren't too nice anyway.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Demonbreed
Yeah i figured. Someone in the pit reccomended "Loctite" adhesive
I would never glue a Guitar of any kind.
Thanks for the advice though

hmm im not sure if loctite is over in enlgand, you might want to look it up on wikipedia, its like a solvent that will dry up after a few hours to a day and it will loc the screws so they dont unscrew themselves. if you ever find loctite in the UK than get the blue one as it is not permanent as the red one is permanent umless you apply a lot of heat to the desired part than unscrew it.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Confused4930
I've been thinking that too....I've heard that Fender's bridges aren't too nice anyway.

I thought changing my fender's bridge was one of the best choices I ever made.
My J Bass bridge has always been a little tempermental. I've had screws loosen but never fall all the way out. I simply screwed the screws on really tight, but I think you might want to consult Fender if you've got screws falling out and your local guitar shop isn't helping.
Stop taking life so seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway.
I don't know why that would happen so much. I have a pretty cheap bass, and the saddles are rock solid, they never move.

Do you know how to set up a bass?
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Cheers guys for all the help. I think im gonna go out and buy some blue loctite adhesive and a new bridge plate. I'll see what happens from there.
Thanks again.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
Quote by Demonbreed
Push them away from the end of the bridge, so they are not connecting you mean?
Push them right up to the bridge so that they are in full contact with the bridge, also make sure that your saddles are level and not tilted by adjusting the screws.
I'm not at all happy about using adhesives, I've seen too many badly set up bridges that, with a little common sense could be put right
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn