Whats up, my name is Shane and I have a problem. I just bought new strings, and I put them on but for some reason my B and E strings are touching the fretboard around the first 2 frets. I've never set up a bass before but I do know it has something to do with the truss rod, or atleast that's what I think...but that's also my question and what I need help with. I don't think it's my action due to the fact that its fairly high past the 5 fret, and I figure if I keep raising it sure eventually it will raise up where I need it to however I'm not playing a stand up. Anyways any help would be appreciated, I'm at a loss at what to do at the moment.
are the new strings the same as the old ones ?
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
This sounds the opposite to logic if it's low at 2nd & 3rd ftrets and high at the 5th; what kind of Bass is it?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
The bass is a ESP B405. And I exaggerated...now that I look at it it's not actually high at the 5th fret but it doesn't touch the fretboard...it doesnt raise much until after the 12th fret.
my (noobish) advice is to go to a local music shop, shell out 20$ and have it fixed. Most likely, your neck is slightly bowed near the top, causing the touch. It could also be the bridge or the neck. You really can mess up a bass pretty bad if you dont know what you're doing with the truss rod.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Well I had read the owners manual a while back and I remember it saying something about the truss rod being a two way instead of something else and so it was easier to work with, but yeah I'm afraid to mess with it much more, I screwed around a little bit but for some reason my allen wrench isn't turning it well and it's the right size, I don't know...the only problem is that I have to drive an hour and a half to goto a guitar store that will set up instruments.
you need to get it loosened up a bit and you will be fine

it could becasue it is colder. tempeture does ALOT to a neck through bass put it somewhere warm in youre house while youre not playing i had the same problem with my fender i put it in my parent's toasty room and after a week it was just fine.

you could have floppyer strings like how DR low riders are the same gauge as HiBeams but Loriders are stiffer
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Feb 6, 2007,
Alright I'll try loosening it up a little bit...I shouldn't really have anything to worry about with it being a two way truss rod right? I mean if I turn it too far it will just end up where it was, correct? Or do I misunderstand...
Quote by Emergancy Exit
you need to get it loosened up a bit and you will be fine
it could becasue it is colder. tempeture does ALOT to a neck through bass put it somewhere warm in youre house while youre not playing i had the same problem with my fender i put it in my parent's toasty room and after a week it was just fine.
you could have floppyer strings like how DR low riders are the same gauge as HiBeams but Loriders are stiffer
If the action is high the last thing that you want to do is slacken the truss rod; quite the opposite in fact.
Colder weather will tighten the strings if you go from a warm room to outside where it is cold but it will not affect the truss rod (not on any decent Bass anyway).
Before you attempt to tighten your truss rod slacken the strings first if you don't you will be working against the string tension as well as the neck tension and in doing so you could damage the truss rod, what I recommend is one quarter turn each time, tune up and check the action.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Hey thanks everybody for the help. I ended up just taking it to the guy at the small local guitar shop and he fixed it for me; sadly I ended up with a slight bow that he said may never come out.