Page 1 of 2
easier to play in a band than a lead guitar?? somebody told me a bass was easier to play in a band with than lead guitar... so now im wondering if i should switch to bass or not...
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
Jimi Hendrix

a wise man once said, "if it wasnt illegal then what would be the point in doing it in the first place."
If you want easy then play the triangle. Bass is as hard as you make it (just like guitar). Also, bass can be much, much, if not infinitely harder than guitar.
It depends. If your just going to play the root note, then yeah. If your going to actully play intresting pieces and fills, and think about what your playing then no. Just as hard.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
If you like metal like slipknot, bass is easy. If you like avenged sevenfold style, its difficult. Usually, guitar is more difficult than bass.
It's easier to start on but much much harder to excel at
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
go look at flea and tell me that's easy
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
Dont get into bass cause you think its easy, get into it because its a kick ass instrument.
i love the smooth, punchy sound of a bass. if you play bass like a lead guitarist youl go far.
Its totally different.

bass is ALLL about listening and supporting the overall sound of the band. lead guitar is about creating melody and an upper-layer to the band's sound.

a lead guitarist will not sit in well as a bass player because they are thinking differently.

technique wise, it is easier to begin on, but harder to master than guitar.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
ugh im so sick of people who start theese threads like is bass so much easyer then guitar. and everyone says yes. bass isnt easyer. i started playing bass cause i wanted to start a band and someone had to do it. now i play because i just love the funk and the instrument alike. bass isnt any easyer then guitar. my favorite is when people say it easyer cause its only got 4 strings... mine doesnt lol i got a 5 string so hahaha losers.
there's a lot of bands who use the bass to a much more noticeable effect than others, bands like muse and rhcp have really prominent bass, where the likes of bloc party use the bass to add to the tone of a song, rather than the root notes, just look at banquet or hunting for witches. without the bass they'd be much less striking. death cab for cutie have the bass play a bigger part than the rhythm guitar, playing as much melody as the lead guitar.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
ahhh n00bs ay?

its harder to be a good bassist than a good guitarist
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
In the words of Troy Sanders

Being in a band is like a bedframe

The drummer is the frame, weak drummer=weak frame

Bass lays down whatever mattress is gunna be there

All the frivilous silk liners, sheets and pillows, are guitar and vocals

(that doesnt mean that the frills are not required!)
Member of the SOAD Fan club.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
"Noob can't even kill level 2 boars."
Originally Posted by clincher09
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Quote by kanguuu
go look at flea and tell me that's easy

Virtuosoes are a totally different story
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Easy to play, hard to play well...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
it isnt that i thought it was easier someone just told me that... so i wanted to verify... i was going to join this band... but i was told i wasnt good enough... then someone told me to switch to bass cuz its easier... so then i was on here making this thread... thanks... i just didnt want to go out and buy a bass just cuz someone told me to and then find out its just as hard...
Jimi Hendrix

a wise man once said, "if it wasnt illegal then what would be the point in doing it in the first place."
mate, learning ANY musical instrument is hard. If it was easy, everyone would be Jimi or Jaco. it takes years of dedication and torment and pushing yourself, but is one of the most rewarding things you can do in life.

If you want something easy to do, i recommend t h i s
Its real easy to be a mediocre root note bassist. But once you get into the principles of it, bass can be just as hard. If you're going to start it simply because its easier, than you're going to be stuck in a mindset that bass is easier than lead guitar.

Wanna listen to some hard bass? Victor Wooten, Flea, and Les Claypool of Primus.

Now that i've read that ur friend said this, do me a favor and smack him for me.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Bass isn't easy at all!!! guitar is easy too, if you are going to play 3 chord punk rock!!!!

Bass is less popular because it takes more dedication, practice, and talent!!!! Therefore there are less virtuosos... since there are less known bass players, ppl think bass is easy.

I thought playing flute was really easy, until I saw jazz flute stuff!

I wish everyone was smart enough to realize this
If you want something easy to do, i recommend t h i s

That was genius.

Any way much like everyone else has said any instrument is only as hard to play as you make. If you just want to play root notes then yes that shit is very easy. But if you want to come up with some good grooves and become and take control of the rhythm of the band then it's gonna take some work. Only bad bassists have it easier than lead guitarists. Bass is much easier to play on as a beginner but much harder to master than guitar.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Any instrument that uses the bass clef is pretty much an accompanying instrument which tend to require less dexterity over all. Bass guitar adds melody to bass' normal job of accompanying and reenforcing the key. Most styles of music require less and are therefore easier but some can require effort equivalent to guitar
Quote by flyingmarlin
ahhh n00bs ay?

its harder to be a good bassist than a good guitarist

good? its easy to be a "good " bassist. Bu to Be a GREAT bassist takes years to become. Ive been palying for about 4 years now. still havent mastered much on it.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Bass is just a different style. The strings are bigger and harder to grasp than guitar strings, the bass itself is bigger and heavier, with a longer neck, and playing with your fingers will always be harder than using a pick. Guitar and bass are both as hard as you make them, as said by Bumper.
Stop taking life so seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway.
Prepare yourselves for a long and useless rant, but here it goes.

One of the things that bugs me about people switching to bass because it's "easy", is the fact that the really don't love the instrument as much as most (read again, most) bassists that chose the bass because they love the feel, sound, etc. and they just want the easy way out. And if you don't have that love for your instrument you'll never have the passion or drive to become really good or jump out of mediocre. There are times that I end up hating my bass (I suppose most of us have those little momments), but then I pick it up, start playing, play with more passion than before and think to myself "that's why I chose bass".
Yeah, go on, change to bass, but be shure you love and respect the instrument. I encourage people to be bassist, but at least there must be passion for your instrument and not just the spotlight.
yeah its not easy, when i first started i thought it was...its not...takes a lot of effort to play well and put your time and attention to playing bass.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
lead instruments in general are more "difficult" its the nature of the role.

both instruments are difficult in their own regard. one has to crank out a catchy melody, the other has to crank a smooth groove to layer the melody over. neither exists without the other.

saying 1 is easier than the other makes no sense. its comparing english to math.

i blame MTV quite simply.
playing bass in a band is alot harder than guitar cause you have to hold the drums and guitars together yet you will receive little or no praise from people or your band mates......... its a tough life sometimes but i think i get more from internal gratitude of creating a great underlying bass riff that nobody may notice
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by SocKo?

saying 1 is easier than the other makes no sense. its comparing english to math.

Math is WAY easier than English.

Yeah it was all pretty much summed up with bumpers post it's as hard or as easy as you make it.

PS. Inky I almost didn't recognize you with out the Santa hat
Think of it this way:
If the bassist sucks, the band will probably suck. If the bassist is good, the band will sound good. BASS WILL MAKE OR BREAK THE BAND.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Math is WAY easier than English.

I dont think so bro! Maybe when you're 15 it is, but not at undergraduate level
Billy Sheehan plays better guitar solos on his bass than pretty much any other GUITAR player does.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Applehead
I don't think so bro! Maybe when you're 15 it is, but not at undergraduate level

English has too many words. Numbers make more sense in my brain. Also I don't know about university but in highschool there's always the gay essays on "relating to others" or "other random thing about feelings" so I can't do that. I'm no stone but I bottle it all up like a regular guy.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
English has too many words. Numbers make more sense in my brain. Also I don't know about university but in highschool there's always the gay essays on "relating to others" or "other random thing about feelings" so I can't do that. I'm no stone but I bottle it all up like a regular guy.

Take a third year university discrete math course and tell me about how high-school English is more difficult. Discrete math doesn't even use numbers half the time.

You can make up crap in English, but making up crap in Math isn't quite as easy or as effective.

Anyway, enough about that. Back to bass-ics.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by thefitz

You can make up crap in English, but making up crap in Math isn't quite as easy or as effective.

Sorry man, i dont wanna turn this into a thread about the relatives difficulties of math and english, but i have a degree in English and i can assure you that you cannot "make up crap". You will get shot down in a second. An English degree is hard, and a Math degree is hard. People have an aptitude for different things - it's what makes the world go round.

Take for example this sentence:

Ann while Bob had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Some people, like me, will be able to make that grammatically correct. Others will never be able to.

However, take for example this math equation:

yeah, i aint got a clue, but many of you will know that is fundamental theorem of calculus.

We are all different guys.

Now, what were we talking about.....?
Quote by LetTheBassPlay

Now that i've read that ur friend said this, do me a favor and smack him for me.

you bet...
Jimi Hendrix

Bass vs guitar in difficultly, I think. I may have lost track somewhere.

Hey at least you guys never get the "You were an English / History major" cause math is too difficult for women. (I am in computers now, funny enough).

Just substitute bass and guitar in the same sentence and feel my occasional added aggravation with the assumption that bass is somehow so easy even a girl can play it.
Page 1 of 2